Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New air defense identification zone for China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

I am wondering if this will affect CX flights that go via TPE to Japan and Korea. I have posted a news thread in travel buzz with more information on the new zone they are implementing right away. I thought I would beg the question on here about how it night impact CX flights. Mods if you thinks its a cross post please do what you gotta do.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: QFF
I was about to post this in the news forum, but couldn't think of how to word it.

This new ADIZ overlaps part of the Japanese ADIZ...

CX flights to North America also go though this new "defense zone".

I'm wondering if China might end up doing something stupid with an aircraft based in Taiwan or Japan.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was actually thinking they might do something stupid with a Japanese aircraft flying through that space to prove a point
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:39 am

The procedures for the P.R of China ADIZ are to call ahead 15-20 mins prior to the zone or identification. Once identified a civilian aircraft with a flight plan for China overflight or destination would continue with the Fukuoka or Incheon controller until the FIR boundary for Shanghai control. However as with certain other air spaces, notable the Nicosia corner of the MED, lots of controller fun and games begin.
I doubt neither China, Japan or South Korean Area Control Centres will be doing a lot of talking to each other over this and such aircrew will have to do a lot of coordinating of clearances on multiple frequencies. This can possible lead to delays in the area. But let's wait and see.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 8:37 am

Most of identifications are done automatically by the aircraft anyway, the pilots just needed to remember to switch on the proper channels.

Of course the biggest hurdle for China will probably be hiring enough English-speaking controllers to monitor the new DZ.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Most of identifications are done automatically by the aircraft anyway, the pilots just needed to remember to switch on the proper channels.

Of course the biggest hurdle for China will probably be hiring enough English-speaking controllers to monitor the new DZ.
Since the US government has refused to recognize China's new ADIZ claim, US-flagged commercial airlines will not comply with the Chinese demand when flying over these areas. (as long as the aircraft has no intention of entering or passing though Chinese airspace) For example, UA and DL flights from Tokyo or Seoul flying to SE Asia regularly go thorough this area.

Will Chinese send up fighter jets to intercept and harass these US airliners?
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy

Interesting point CB, does this need to be backed up with a verbal confirmation from the ground as well ? after many years flying this is something I have never ever thought of.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by mayodave
Interesting point CB, does this need to be backed up with a verbal confirmation from the ground as well ? after many years flying this is something I have never ever thought of.
All the countries affected by this have indicated that they are strongly against it and have officially criticized China over this issue. (South Korea, Japan, US)

Strangely, China's #1 "enemy" has officially indicated that they will "comply" with it. Taiwan's government aviation authority said "close to 100 flights" per day pass through this area and that they need to file flight plans with the Chinese air traffic control who will forward the information to the Chinese military. I'm confused. Does Taiwan already think like a provincial government in the People's Republic? They said Taiwanese airlines as well as foreign(non-Chinese/non-Taiwanese) airlines both need to "comply"???
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by threepackape
All the countries affected by this have indicated that they are strongly against it and have officially criticized China over this issue. (South Korea, Japan, US)

Strangely, China's #1 "enemy" has officially indicated that they will "comply" with it. Taiwan's government aviation authority said "close to 100 flights" per day pass through this area and that they need to file flight plans with the Chinese air traffic control who will forward the information to the Chinese military. I'm confused. Does Taiwan already think like a provincial government in the People's Republic? They said Taiwanese airlines as well as foreign(non-Chinese/non-Taiwanese) airlines both need to "comply"???
I suspect it's because Taipei makes a lot of the same territorial claims Beijing does, as I understand it (I could be wrong -- I'm flying into unfamiliar airspace here!) because they claim to have "inherited" Chinese territorial claims in the 1940s. So you see Taiwan and mainland China on the same side in most of these disputes.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:24 am

Since the US government has refused to recognize China's new ADIZ claim, US-flagged commercial airlines will not comply with the Chinese demand when flying over these areas. (as long as the aircraft has no intention of entering or passing though Chinese airspace) For example, UA and DL flights from Tokyo or Seoul flying to SE Asia regularly go thorough this area.

Will Chinese send up fighter jets to intercept and harass these US airliners?
If China doesn't support their ADIZ claim, they will be joke of the world. They won't harass all the flights, but enough to make USA noticed and probably make an example out of one flight in particular (demanding it to respond or they will be shoot down, etc.)

It is pretty ironic that Japan is allow to draw the ADIZ to cover virtually all of East China Sea, but China isn't allowed to.

There are already a couple of tragic incidents due to bad communications within ADIZ. A South Korean Airline shot down by Russian jet, and Iranian Airline shot down by US Airforce over Persian Sea. Although China is probably not aggressive enough to actually shot down a plane, but I expect some harassment on their part to show the world they are serious about enforcing the ADIZ.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Its been a sh*t show of threats this past two days. There will be an incident. No one is backing down and there have been airline interceptions.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Its been a sh*t show of threats this past two days. There will be an incident. No one is backing down and there have been airline interceptions.
Does China now consider itself to be USSR v2.0?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
If the discussions continue to be unrelated to CX, I shall close this thread...

cxfan1960
CX CoMod
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: QFF
Does China now consider itself to be USSR v2.0?
We'll have to see if China does anything stupid. CX has roughly 68 flights passing through that area daily.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
We'll have to see if China does anything stupid. CX has roughly 68 flights passing through that area daily.
As a Chinese airline, I don't see why Cathay Pacific has any say in this matter, unless they want to be thrown in prison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.