Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

The Wing-let - a lounge for any questions and discussions [NEWBIE QUESTIONS WELCOME]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Welcome to The Wing-let - a lounge to discuss any topics.

This is a place for newbie questions, any topics semi-related to Cathay Pacific, where everyone is welcome to ask and discuss.

No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about Cathay Pacific you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here. Feel free to post here without fear of retribution for not using search.

As with the rest of FlyerTalk, discussions here should be constructive, courteous without aggression or personal attacks.

If anyone feels a good topic is posted here that should be broken out into a separate thread, please use the red triangle to report the post, and it will be considered for its own thread.
Print Wikipost

The Wing-let - a lounge for any questions and discussions [NEWBIE QUESTIONS WELCOME]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:20 pm
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Yes you can. Just ask for it to be tagged all the way to DPS when checking in at ORD.

It's possible, but remember CX's lounges close after the last flight out, that's appx. around 2am. They don't open again until 5:30-6am.

With such a long layover, I strongly recommend you just book a hotel room, or head out into the city.
Thank you. I believe we'll book a room at the Regal and opt for a comfortable nights sleep, and then we can hit the ground running in Bali.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by marcuslai
- 3A is great. Furthest away from a neighbor.
- A side is the side to get for sunset views but that time winter, the sun will have set before the main is served about an hour into the flight.
- Bassinet is in 4A/K, not a long haul flight and there's plenty of good food and wine. Doesn't really matter if there's a baby.
- No Krug nor caviar but full dinner service with drinks and nuts, appetizer, soup, main course, desserts, cheese and fruits and chocolates.

My TR may help, and has the menu from one month ago
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...hong-kong.html
Thanks for the help! So 3A seems like the best choice then, and I suppose I can live without the Caviar. All in all it seems like a decent experience, though I am a little worried that CX will set my bar pretty high for future flights in F on other carriers

Love your reports btw!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mjz
We'll be flying in J on CX 807 from ORD to HKG. We arrive in HKG at 7:50 pm and then connect with flight 785 to DPS at 10:10 am the following day. Is it possible to check our luggage through to Bali so we don't have to hassle with it in HKG? I would assume so, but not certain due to the long lay over in HKG. Also, if we don't get a room at an airport hotel, can we enjoy one of the CX lounges until they close for the night? Basically, the long lay over has me a little confused in regards to what's permissible with luggage and lounge access. Thank you...
I'm not 100% sure but I would strongly encourage you to check with CX as they might be able to provide accommodation at their expense
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:19 pm
mjz

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by jona970318
I'm not 100% sure but I would strongly encourage you to check with CX as they might be able to provide accommodation at their expense
Thank you for the response. CX would owe me nothing in regards to accommodations in this scenario. I chose this itinerary. I only respond back as I don't want inexperienced travelers thinking they are owed accommodations by an airline when having an overnight layover.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Some carriers do offer this, at least for revenue tickets in premium cabins. But I'm pretty sure CX is not one of them. Unfortunately I can't remember the acronym for this to search, but it's been discussed here before.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Some carriers do offer this, at least for revenue tickets in premium cabins. But I'm pretty sure CX is not one of them. Unfortunately I can't remember the acronym for this to search, but it's been discussed here before.
STPC
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AM
Hi all

I'm a bit of a newbie in terms of air travel and have always just booked my tickets online. I've never used any sort of travel agent before.

Can anyone give me a sense of how much of a discount I can get booking a ticket via a travel agent vs. CX.com? For an example flight, RT ORD-HKG in basic Y, flying on Mondays around the Lunar New Year. CX.com's list price is $1219 at the moment.

Also, if the answer to this question greatly depends on the quality of the travel agent, any recommendations on how to find a good one?

Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by QuesoMadness
Can anyone give me a sense of how much of a discount I can get booking a ticket via a travel agent vs. CX.com? For an example flight, RT ORD-HKG in basic Y, flying on Mondays around the Lunar New Year. CX.com's list price is $1219 at the moment.
It greatly depends. Sometimes cx.com is cheaper, sometimes the TA. TA prices should be close enough to prices on sites like vayama.com or kayak.com.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by QuesoMadness
Hi all

I'm a bit of a newbie in terms of air travel and have always just booked my tickets online. I've never used any sort of travel agent before.

Also, if the answer to this question greatly depends on the quality of the travel agent, any recommendations on how to find a good one?

Thanks!
Before I moved to HK, I also did all of my travel booking online, mostly directly with the airlines. A few factors have swayed me since I've been here:

-- If your plans aren't firm yet, a TA should be able to hold a booking for you on several different flights, or hold a booking on the flight you think you want without issuing the ticket for a while, so that you have the option of changing for free. (Change fees kick in once the ticket is issued.)
-- TAs sometimes seem to have better access to inventory than CX will offer on its own website. I've noticed this most for a HK point-of-sale.
-- For changes, the TA can be easier to deal with than CX customer service. (Although you want a TA who will be reachable most of the time.)
-- Finally, TAs can do a lot of things CX's website can't do easily, such as mixed-class bookings (economy out, premium economy back) etc.

I would recommend some price comparison. Ask a couple TAs to price out your itinerary and see how close they come to what you see on the CX site. Although that fare doesn't sound so outrageous to me for that time of year, since Chinese New Year is such a heavy travel period. Do you want a fare that will earn miles, or are you looking for heavily discounted non-mileage-earning?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
I have some questions regarding AM award ticket.
1) If I want to book a TPE-HKG-ORD round trip, how do I do this online? How do I calculate the mileage needed?
2) If I want to book TPE-NRT-ORD on JL metal, I can only call AM to do it?

Thank you
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by yuchung5
1) If I want to book a TPE-HKG-ORD round trip, how do I do this online? How do I calculate the mileage needed?

Thank you
You can book CX/KA/BA/QF flights online. Log into your MPO account on the CX website and then on the left-hand side of the home page in the flight-booking window, there's an option to redeem flights. That guides you through the booking process. For JL you would need to call.

Regarding mileage required, consult the AM award chart. You'd be zone E on this itinerary (sum of TPE-HKG and HKG-ORD or TPE-NRT and NRT-ORD).
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Regarding mileage required, consult the AM award chart. You'd be zone E on this itinerary (sum of TPE-HKG and HKG-ORD or TPE-NRT and NRT-ORD).
Book it through CX.com but if you want to know just how much AM you need...you can just use the Flight Award Finder on the home page:
https://www.asiamiles.com/am/en/homepage

You get to choose:
- Ticket/Upgrade
- Class
- To
- From
- Airline
- Add sector if require

And it will automatically calculate how many AM you need.

Yes, or submit your request by completing the Airline Award Request Form online. (It's hard to link, you might need to log in first)

Last edited by CanucksHKG; Nov 20, 2013 at 10:02 pm
Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
CX will not be providing any STPC if they can help it. Even for a DM who needed to fly from WNZ to ORD via HKG. CX was recommending him to fly same day even if its a circulare route via SFO and LAX ! So any itinerary as OP suggested, CX will not give the STPC since he chose the route and there are 'alternatives'. They also tend not to give to award holders.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:18 pm

Asia Miles Redemption and YQ Questions

I'm not a frequent flyer, but have some miles to transfer from credit cards. Need some advice on the following:

1) How reliable is the CX booking engine? I tried to price a SIN-SYD and SIN-BNE J class award on QF. It shows 45K for SIN-SYD, but 70K for SIN-BNE. What gives? I believe BNE is nearer, if any. Do I need to call to book?

2) Can I book open jaw (e.g. SIN-SYD & BNE-SIN) for the price of a return? Or would it price as 2 one-ways? Do I need to call to book this?

3) How to check YQ reasonably reliably for AM redemptions? I do not have miles in AM account, so I can't do dummy booking all the way.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by bluepanda
I'm not a frequent flyer, but have some miles to transfer from credit cards. Need some advice on the following:

1) How reliable is the CX booking engine? I tried to price a SIN-SYD and SIN-BNE J class award on QF. It shows 45K for SIN-SYD, but 70K for SIN-BNE. What gives? I believe BNE is nearer, if any. Do I need to call to book?

2) Can I book open jaw (e.g. SIN-SYD & BNE-SIN) for the price of a return? Or would it price as 2 one-ways? Do I need to call to book this?

3) How to check YQ reasonably reliably for AM redemptions? I do not have miles in AM account, so I can't do dummy booking all the way.
For question (1) are you referring to miles? I think for 45k miles for SIN-SYD, this is for Y class, not J class.

2) Yes you can book open jaw.

3) For checking taxes, try doing a dummy booking for a revenue ticket on a singapore travel website (eg Zuji). Then look at the taxes in the ticket. Be aware that if you are looking for direct flights from SIN to Australia, the flights will be on QF or BA. If on CX, they will be via HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.