Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZZ100
Is it possible to buy a (cheap) upgrade on Cathay Pacific upon check-in?

The short answer is no.

Cathay, as a general rule, does not allow you to purchase last minute upgrades if there are empty seats in Y+, J or F. The only way to upgrade a ticket is to pay the fare difference between your current ticket, and an available fare class in the higher cabins. Note that if your current ticket has restrictions (cancellation fees, non-refundable) these still apply.

There are been stories of people who have been offered cheap upgrades by Cathay, but this is more an exception than a common occurrence.

If I upgrade my ticket using asia miles, do I still earn miles?

Yes, you will earn miles for the original fare class that you booked, not the upgraded cabin.

How do I get a free upgrade / operational upgrade (op-up)?
Cathay Pacific does not upgrade passengers just because there are empty seats in higher classes. Upgrades will only occur where there is overbooking in lower classes.

The order of upgrades when required is believed to be:
  1. VIP (Heads of State, Government Bodies, or Canto Pop/Movie stars)
  2. CX Diamond Plus
  3. CX Diamond Invitation, Diamond
  4. CX Gold
  5. CX management staff on travel duty
  6. oneworld Emerald
  7. CX staff on duty nominees , other airline staff nominees, CX staff on personal travel
  8. oneworld Sapphire
  9. CX Silver
  10. oneworld Ruby
  11. CX Green
  12. Asia Miles
  13. Non status
In the event of a tiebreak being needed, generally those with lower "Boarding Numbers" will take precedence (lower BN takes priority). The earlier you check in, the lower your BN. Asking for an upgrade at check-in will not work, so don't. This is definitely one case of where "if you don't ask, you don't get", does NOT apply. The amount you paid for your ticket or the fare class of your ticket does not appear to affect your upgrade chances.

I am travelling on an award ticket. Will I still be considered for a free upgrade?

Yes - there are many stories of passengers on award tickets, or who upgraded a class using miles, getting (additional) upgrades.

What happens if the aircraft has 4 or 3 cabins, but is only selling Business and Economy seats?

It is likely if you have Marco Polo status, and to a lesser extent oneworld status, you may be able to sit in either First Class seats (if booked in J) or Premium Economy (if booked in Y) with service of the original cabin. There doesn't appear to be consistency yet as to how these semi-upgrades are allocated. Some people have been able to choose seats in the higher cabin during online check-in, or some will get them on request at check-in. However, there is no entitlement to these seats.

Will I get an upgrade on my Birthday, or for my membership anniversary, or for reaching xx number of lifetime club miles?

Please see this link for members' experience with these kinds of upgrades: Marco Polo Anniversary Upgrades

I want to use Asia Miles to upgrade a BA flight. How do I do this?

As of 22 June 2018, it is no longer possible to upgrade BA flights with Asia Miles.

How do I upgrade a CX flight using miles?

If you already have issued your original ticket:
  1. Try upgrading using Manage My Booking on the website (not always successful)
  2. If self-service doesn't work, try calling Marco Polo hotline to check availability
  3. If there is availability, you will need to issue the upgrade immediately to secure it. They may give you a few days grace before isssuing the upgrade, but this is now rarely given.
  4. In a few days, or longer if they are busy, your miles will be deducted, and you will be emailed a new e-ticket with the upgrade class details on it, and your online booking for your original booking class will disappear.

If you have not made any booking yet, and you want to check availability:
  1. Call Marco Polo club to check for availability on the flights/dates you want, or check for normal redemption availability on the website.
  2. Book a revenue ticket in the class of service for which you will be paying. Do NOT do this via the website -- call a CX telephone sales number/travel agent.
  3. Put the booking on hold.
  4. Call the Marco Polo/Asia Miles Service Center. Have them book the upgrade and give you a deadline to have the ticket issued. (It's usually about 72 hours).
  5. Have telephone sales/travel agent issue your revenue ticket.
  6. Call Marco Polo/Asia Miles back. Give them the revenue ticket number against the PNR and ask them to issue your upgrade.
  7. In about two or three days, you'll get a new ticket with the upgrade showing.

If you don't receive a new e-ticket before departure, call up Marco Polo club to double check if the upgrade has been issued.
Print Wikipost

The Ultimate Upgrade Question thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:02 am

I've noticed I'm getting opups about 50% of the time when flying CX. The last time I declined just because I was flying with my wife on the same PNR and they only offered me a single upgrade.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
Originally Posted by yannerd
I've noticed I'm getting opups about 50% of the time when flying CX. The last time I declined just because I was flying with my wife on the same PNR and they only offered me a single upgrade.
Which classes were you in and what routes were you flying?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by yabadoo
Which classes were you in and what routes were you flying?
Once from PEY to J flying TPE to HKG, another from Y to PEY flying JFK to YVR, the rest of the times it's been YVR to HKG and back while flying in Y being offered PEY.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:40 am

I have a flıght thıs frıday and agent saıd today ım stıll waıtlısted jfk-hkg.
1) What happens when waıtlıst expıres on mondat?
2) what should ı do? Do ı call cx and request to be put back to waıtlıst?
3) how early should ı check on day of departure, ıf that matters for chance to score upgrade?
4) can the agent see what number ı am on waıtlıst?

Thank you

Last edited by Smurfettepharoh; Nov 4, 2017 at 11:48 am
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Some data points for reference:

CX712 SIN-BKK booked in PEY (redemption). Based on KVS tool a few days prior to flight, no availability in Y, a handful in J and PEY. A few days prior to flight, seat allocation also disappeared in the website and was unable to check in online. But app status shows booked in PEY up till airport checkin. On day of departure, skipped the machine check-in at Changi T4 and the agent upgraded to J. The upgrade was for both myself (GO) and travelling partner (SL, also booked on PEY) on separate ticket!

CX619 BKK-SIN booked in PEY (redemption). Based on KVS tool, no availability in all classes. On the day before, found out that there is an equipment swap to a 772 without PEY cabin. In app, seat allocation was moved to Y. On day of departure, mentioned to agent about the "downgrade", and agent upgraded to J (it took some time, agent had to make calls). The upgrade was again for both myself (GO) and travelling partner (SL, also booked on PEY) on separate ticket.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Is it possible to bid for an upgrade on LAX-HKG? Thinking of purchasing PEY so it would be amazing if this option was available. J looks very light on my date of travel per EF. On the CX website it specifically excludes certain routes but doesn't mention if it's been expanded to include LAX yet.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Is it possible to bid for an upgrade on LAX-HKG? Thinking of purchasing PEY so it would be amazing if this option was available. J looks very light on my date of travel per EF. On the CX website it specifically excludes certain routes but doesn't mention if it's been expanded to include LAX yet.
You could use the CX website to check if your particular flight is eligible:

https://upgrade.cathaypacific.com/of...fic?lang=en_US

Just don't be offended by the ask...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
No shame, I'm trying to chance an op up to J. Will be in E class. USA to HKG. Flight in less than a week but not T-72. Which flight would you go with?

Flight 1: 77H
US POS F1 A1 J4 C4 D4 I3 W5 R5 E4 Y0 B0 H0K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
HK POS F1 A1 J4 C4 D4 I4 W5 R5 E5 Y0 B0 H0K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0
Seats taken (yeah I know, bad indicator, but still) 4/44/26/63

Flight 2: 77H
F1 A1 J1 C1 D1 I0 W4 R4 E3 Y9 B8 H8K7 M7 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
F1 A1 J1 C1 D1 I0 W4 R4 E4 Y9 B8 H8K8 M8 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0
5/34/26/118

Flight 3: 77H
F1 A1 J2 C2 D2 I1 W7 R7 E6 Y0 B0 H0K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
F1 A1 J2 C2 D2 I2 W7 R7 E7 Y0 B0 H0K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0
4/33/15/28

Flight 4: 35G
J5 C4 D3 I2 W4 R4 E3 Y1 B1 H0 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
J5 C5 D4 I3 W4 R4 E3 Y1 B1 H1 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0
24/17/40

You might even be able to guess which 4 flights these are. They are very 'similar'
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:12 am

Very clearly Flight 3.

(Audio)
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
No shame, I'm trying to chance an op up to J. Will be in E class. USA to HKG. Flight in less than a week but not T-72. Which flight would you go with?

Flight 1: 77H
US POS F1 A1 J4 C4 D4 I3 W5 R5 E4 Y0 B0 H0K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
HK POS F1 A1 J4 C4 D4 I4 W5 R5 E5 Y0 B0 H0K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0
Seats taken (yeah I know, bad indicator, but still) 4/44/26/63

Flight 2: 77H
F1 A1 J1 C1 D1 I0 W4 R4 E3 Y9 B8 H8K7 M7 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
F1 A1 J1 C1 D1 I0 W4 R4 E4 Y9 B8 H8K8 M8 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0
5/34/26/118

Flight 3: 77H
F1 A1 J2 C2 D2 I1 W7 R7 E6 Y0 B0 H0K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
F1 A1 J2 C2 D2 I2 W7 R7 E7 Y0 B0 H0K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0
4/33/15/28

Flight 4: 35G
J5 C4 D3 I2 W4 R4 E3 Y1 B1 H0 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
J5 C5 D4 I3 W4 R4 E3 Y1 B1 H1 K0 M0L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0
24/17/40

You might even be able to guess which 4 flights these are. They are very 'similar'
I'd rank your chances as follows, highest to lowest: 4, 1, 3, 2 (yes, I know how much you dislike the 35G ). With 4 and 1, Y -> W op-ups will very likely necessitate W -> J op-ups, if W isn't already oversold to begin with, and those flights appear to have more seats in J to accommodate op-ups. Similar story for 3 except slightly higher W inventory and lower J inventory, which works against you. 2 seems unlikely, given that Y is still wide open and J looks to be quite full.

Let me guess: 883, 881, 873, 893, in some order? With 4 clearly being 893.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by dkc192
Let me guess: 883, 881, 873, 893, in some order? With 4 clearly being 893.
Hmmm, I was thinking 845,841,831 with 4 being 899.

I vote for 4. Are you still CX SL? I think a SL has (slightly!) better chance of op-up at EWR. Just on basis of chancing less elites at EWR vs. JFK. But it's still a crapshoot.

Good luck.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Thanks all, it is indeed 893 for flight 4. Going for that, if only to avoid base crew. Guess I will survive my Airbus/350 phobia.

If anything I feel a bit uneasy flying a non-classic CX flight #...

FWIW I was never CX SL
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by andersonCooper

Just don't be offended by the ask...
Not quite sure what that means ... no offense taken? (Was I supposed to be offended? I'm not sure, haha)

Haven't bought my ticket yet. Will report back if it's possible. Doesn't seem to be too much discussion here on the bid process/success rates.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Thanks all, it is indeed 893 for flight 4. Going for that, if only to avoid base crew. Guess I will survive my Airbus/350 phobia.

FWIW I was never CX SL
Know you hate 35G (mostly because lack of F?), but for J seats, 35G is pretty much the same as 77W, PEY is better IMO. You get the new IFE and wifi as well.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

Mate, 35G is unequivocally an upgrade over 77G. And although I prefer the 77H J class layout better, 35G is simply a more comfortable bed, too. Significantly so. Although I don't have experience, I've also read on here PEY on 35G is superior to the old PEY on 77W and A333.

And having WiFi is excellent.

Plus, I think you're someone who would appreciate the windows in bathrooms on the A350. I know it's not material but I like them.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Know you hate 35G (mostly because lack of F?), but for J seats, 35G is pretty much the same as 77W, PEY is better IMO. You get the new IFE and wifi as well.
Definitely. I'd argue 35G is at least equal if not better than 77H in J, although they are strong and weak in different areas.

And on the OPs flight - CX892 - the alternative was 77G. Without a doubt 35G is an upgrade over the 77G config.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.