Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New fees for changing award bookings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Originally Posted by kaka
if you think so
Well u can use ur DM seat release
I still managed to get nrt hkg over mid autumn with my lowly green
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:14 am
Suspended

Not that I ever bother using the Priority Awards...

But it looks like they are going up, in the # of AM require as of 16 October too:
http://pro02.etrack.hk/track?t=c&eas...-_-8017-_-AMIP

Award Zone. Y One way:
Zone S: 20,000 -> 25,000
Zone A: 25,000 -> 30,000
Zone B: 35,000 -> 40,000
Zone C: 50,000 -> 70,000
Zone D: 70,000 -> 105,000
Zone E: 85,000 -> 130,000
Zone F: 100,000 -> 160,000

Etc..
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Reviving this month-old thread on the eve of the award fee implementation with some idle speculation: Anyone else wondering if we may see a wave of award seats released tomorrow as soon as ticketing those awards triggers the fee on any subsequent changes?

I've been waitlisted for about six weeks on some PEY-J upgrades to/from the U.S. for travel in a couple months. Flights are 9s across the board, although they're at a busy time of year and I expect them to start filling up closer in. My TA suggested they might wait until after the fee roll-out to start releasing award seats, but that was only a theory. Would be interested to hear from FTers whether we have a miraculous mass clearing of waitlists on various awards we're waiting for.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 2:07 am

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Reviving this month-old thread on the eve of the award fee implementation with some idle speculation: Anyone else wondering if we may see a wave of award seats released tomorrow as soon as ticketing those awards triggers the fee on any subsequent changes?

I've been waitlisted for about six weeks on some PEY-J upgrades to/from the U.S. for travel in a couple months. Flights are 9s across the board, although they're at a busy time of year and I expect them to start filling up closer in. My TA suggested they might wait until after the fee roll-out to start releasing award seats, but that was only a theory. Would be interested to hear from FTers whether we have a miraculous mass clearing of waitlists on various awards we're waiting for.
I don't think so... My suspicion is that because CX is retiring those high capacity 747 with 77W (with about 50-100 less seats per flight), both the seats capacity on long-haul and regional flights (using long-haul equipment) are seriously affected, and therefore I suspect they are cutting the no of available award seats in each flight to turn it into revenue seats to catch up with the reduced capacity.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

I tried to issue two redemptions to beat the rule change - one I've been sitting on for a while, one just cleared.

Managed to use have the redemptions issued online from MMB "Issue ticket online".

I've received confirmation emails for both, however I'm not receiving eticket emails. Using checkmytrip, I can't see the etkt numbers either. Normally the eticket email is sent at the same time as the confirmation emails.

Also, my balance is not updated. It usually is instantly updated for an online redemption.

WTH is going on tonight?

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 7, 2013 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
I tried to issue two redemptions to beat the rule change - one I've been sitting on for a while, one just cleared.

Managed to use have the redemptions issued online from MMB "Issue ticket online".

I've received confirmation emails for both, however I'm not receiving eticket emails. Using checkmytrip, I can't see the etkt numbers either. Normally the eticket email is sent at the same time as the confirmation emails.

Also, my balance is not updated. It usually is instantly updated for an online redemption.

WTH is going on tonight?
Meaning that they artificially hold up the issuance of award tickets after Oct 8 so that the new change fees apply!

I do some sort of dirty things yesterday... I change the outbound date of an award booking to Oct 7 today, then force them to issue the tix before the flight departure, and after getting the issuance of the award tix, I change the outbound date to a later date that I want so that the change fee won't kick in....
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
For curiosity, I logged on this morning. Waitlists had not auto-cleared, as expected, but there did appear to be U availability on some of the flights I'm waitlisted on. I thought "Aha, my theory was right." So I called in to MPO, only to be told that availability did not in fact exist. Given previous run-ins with the call center I was suspicious and was about to call back to try with another agent. But subsequently trying to do a dummy booking on the website confirmed this -- I think -- because the fare in miles wouldn't come up.

CX makes it impossible for us to know who to be annoyed with! Revenue management? Call center? Website?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
This change makes AM devalued for me. I use Asia Miles primarily as a way to discount LH premium class flying. Pay for premium or buy M and use miles to upgrade. I do most of my flying for business purposes, and admittedly I generally plan on flying in the premium class - I buy M strictly to lower my cash outlay and ensure a date when I get the mileage upgrade. Naturally, my schedule changes. And, the underlying fare class (be it M or one of the biz class fares) allows free schedule changes. However, because I'm really using M fare + miles as a way every few flights to discount J flying (or biz fare + miles to get to F), awards become less valuable to me. That's because I'll often change my flights 3-4x before the actual flight date. I don't consider this abuse of CX's system, although maybe they do. I change schedules because meetings pop up and I need flexibility. On a recent round-trip I think I changed each sector 3x. So that'd be 6x changes, which would amount to $150. None of the changes were significant, but it would be say flying out 12 hours later than before. Things like that. I'm one of those travelers who really enjoys having multiple frequencies to the destinations I travel to.

I'm not sure the way I use tix is the way CX intended (aka, biz travelers using miles), but I just don't use mileage for holidays because I don't often take holidays. Every trip inevitably has something to do with business. So I use mileage just as a way to discount my flying. CX is now basically nudging us towards making our mileage-burning trips in advance (which is a hallmark of holiday travel), lest awards get more costly for those of us who demand more scheduling flexibility. Which basically punishes business travelers like myself who use mileage for business purposes.

My usual reaction to when a business is charging more $ for my good, they're full of BS. I understand their argument but I'm sure there's more to the story...aka these are fees that we'll simply have to pay because we're locked into AM. And the truth is, I'm guessing I'll just have to suck it up and pay it. I really hope there is some kind of reprieve for members, maybe SL, GO or DM or something like that. My biggest issue is I'm just racking up a lot of miles and have fewer and fewer outlets to use them. I suspect the net result here is that I'll just book less tickets that I plan to upgrade with miles on.

I don't like to burn mileage tickets outright because there is always the chance I can't get on the plane when the inevitable schedule change pops up. The last 5 days...literally there were almost zero business seats available JFK-HKG. So I can't afford to have the issue where I can't get on the plane, with my only option being to pay 7k or whatever a one-way JFK-HKG is in J class where I can get 24 hour guarantee. Whereas if you do have an underlying cash booking underneath (say M fare or J fare using miles to upgrade...as a DM, I have a confirmed seat 24 hours out), at least you know you're getting on the plane if you need to change schedules, just you won't get the upgrade. And with the introduction of premium economy, I only need 30k miles to upgrade from M to J class. Which I could do for a very very long time and not run out of miles! Ugh. I probably will end up just using mileage on family members in this case. Not a huge problem, but it would be nice if I could use them for myself too.

Last edited by QRC3288; Oct 7, 2013 at 8:21 pm
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:13 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
For curiosity, I logged on this morning. Waitlists had not auto-cleared, as expected, but there did appear to be U availability on some of the flights I'm waitlisted on. I thought "Aha, my theory was right." So I called in to MPO, only to be told that availability did not in fact exist. Given previous run-ins with the call center I was suspicious and was about to call back to try with another agent. But subsequently trying to do a dummy booking on the website confirmed this -- I think -- because the fare in miles wouldn't come up.
Yeah I noticed it too.

I killed a 31/5/14 redemption waitlist in order to online redeem a 20/10/14 redemption (tenth on my list).

(I wouldn't have to have done that if my itinerary completed yesterday was immediately removed from my MMB, however my completed itinerary did not go off MMB til way after 12 midnight yesterday).

When I recreated the 31/5 waitlist cx.com said the flight is immediately cleared, but then online redemption fails. I called up MPO Manila who still reported the flights I wanted was still on waitlist.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 8, 2013 at 8:27 pm
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
This change makes AM devalued for me. I use Asia Miles primarily as a way to discount LH premium class flying. Pay for premium or buy M and use miles to upgrade. I do most of my flying for business purposes, and admittedly I generally plan on flying in the premium class - I buy M strictly to lower my cash outlay and ensure a date when I get the mileage upgrade. Naturally, my schedule changes. And, the underlying fare class (be it M or one of the biz class fares) allows free schedule changes. However, because I'm really using M fare + miles as a way every few flights to discount J flying (or biz fare + miles to get to F), awards become less valuable to me. That's because I'll often change my flights 3-4x before the actual flight date. I don't consider this abuse of CX's system, although maybe they do. I change schedules because meetings pop up and I need flexibility. On a recent round-trip I think I changed each sector 3x. So that'd be 6x changes, which would amount to $150. None of the changes were significant, but it would be say flying out 12 hours later than before. Things like that. I'm one of those travelers who really enjoys having multiple frequencies to the destinations I travel to.

I'm not sure the way I use tix is the way CX intended (aka, biz travelers using miles), but I just don't use mileage for holidays because I don't often take holidays. Every trip inevitably has something to do with business. So I use mileage just as a way to discount my flying. CX is now basically nudging us towards making our mileage-burning trips in advance (which is a hallmark of holiday travel), lest awards get more costly for those of us who demand more scheduling flexibility. Which basically punishes business travelers like myself who use mileage for business purposes.

My usual reaction to when a business is charging more $ for my good, they're full of BS. I understand their argument but I'm sure there's more to the story...aka these are fees that we'll simply have to pay because we're locked into AM. And the truth is, I'm guessing I'll just have to suck it up and pay it. I really hope there is some kind of reprieve for members, maybe SL, GO or DM or something like that. My biggest issue is I'm just racking up a lot of miles and have fewer and fewer outlets to use them. I suspect the net result here is that I'll just book less tickets that I plan to upgrade with miles on.

I don't like to burn mileage tickets outright because there is always the chance I can't get on the plane when the inevitable schedule change pops up. The last 5 days...literally there were almost zero business seats available JFK-HKG. So I can't afford to have the issue where I can't get on the plane, with my only option being to pay 7k or whatever a one-way JFK-HKG is in J class where I can get 24 hour guarantee. Whereas if you do have an underlying cash booking underneath (say M fare or J fare using miles to upgrade...as a DM, I have a confirmed seat 24 hours out), at least you know you're getting on the plane if you need to change schedules, just you won't get the upgrade. And with the introduction of premium economy, I only need 30k miles to upgrade from M to J class. Which I could do for a very very long time and not run out of miles! Ugh. I probably will end up just using mileage on family members in this case. Not a huge problem, but it would be nice if I could use them for myself too.

Actually doesn't change anything for u except u have to pay a fee. You can continue to use the miles like u always have. Just made the process more expensive. Anyway I understand why they have to do this given some members here clearly abuse the system.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Actually doesn't change anything for u except u have to pay a fee. You can continue to use the miles like u always have. Just made the process more expensive. Anyway I understand why they have to do this given some members here clearly abuse the system.
yea exactly, it just means I'll have to pay more to use them. Which ultimately reduces their value to me.

I'm curious what these abuses are? I've seen a few folks bring it up, but not sure how the system was getting abused. Is my situation one of them?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:37 pm
Suspended

yea exactly, it just means I'll have to pay more to use them. Which ultimately reduces their value to me.

I'm curious what these abuses are? I've seen a few folks bring it up, but not sure how the system was getting abused. Is my situation one of them?
I think for the people who get their AM through non flying means and then create multiple bookings and then cancelling confirm spaces last minute
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:23 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Which basically punishes business travelers like myself who use mileage for business purposes.
Just wondering why you use mileage for your business travel? Is it that you wouldn't normally be entitled to higher classes so therefore you use your own miles to upgrade, or are you just being a good corporate citizen, or you own your own business?

Whereas if you do have an underlying cash booking underneath (say M fare or J fare using miles to upgrade...as a DM, I have a confirmed seat 24 hours out), at least you know you're getting on the plane if you need to change schedules, just you won't get the upgrade. And with the introduction of premium economy, I only need 30k miles to upgrade from M to J class. Which I could do for a very very long time and not run out of miles! Ugh. I probably will end up just using mileage on family members in this case. Not a huge problem, but it would be nice if I could use them for myself too.
For M class, are you referring to those routes which don't have PEY? Or is there a secret way to upgrade from M direct to J class?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

I think for the people who get their AM through non flying means and then create multiple bookings and then cancelling confirm spaces last minute
We have already paid for the price since AM isnt great in value to start with.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
This change makes AM devalued for me.
Did anyone write in to the MPC on this - or a potential waiver for elites?
I'd been lazy - will pen up today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.