Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Typhoon Utor expected to hit HK by Tue 13 Aug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Exclamation Typhoon Utor expected to hit HK by Tue 13 Aug

Typhoon Utor is expected to hit HK by either Tue 13th Aug evening or by Wed 14th August morning.

Please check on your flights if you're flying from / to HK that time.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_pos_1314.htm

I hear that CX continues to fly even with Typhoon Signal 8 ! But if this Super Typhoon hits, there will be delays and cancellations right through the weekend!

==================
Edited to update this on this post so that it looks like a 'sticky' :

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...hoon-utor.html

Severe Typhoon Utor
Latest update: 13 Aug 2013 17:15 Hong Kong Time (GMT+8)

With potential strong impact anticipated from Severe Typhoon Utor, flights in and out of Hong Kong International Airport will be disrupted and suspension of operations at HKIA is also a possibility.

You are strongly encouraged to avoid non-essential travel to/from Hong Kong between Tuesday evening and Thursday. A special ticket waiver is in place to assist with changing your travel plans.

For details, please refer to the Special Ticketing Guidelines.

Please be advised not to come to the airport if you do not have a confirmed booking.

You are also recommended to check Flight Status before departing for the airport. To ensure you can receive the latest flight status updates via SMS or email, please update your contact details in Manage Booking.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Aug 13, 2013 at 7:58 am
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:47 am
Suspended

Sorry, but as an ex-mod of the CX forum....shouldn't you know this isn't directly CX related. And more appropriate for the Hong Kong forum...
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by leaccor
Sorry, but as an ex-mod of the CX forum....shouldn't you know this isn't directly CX related. And more appropriate for the Hong Kong forum...
Sorry - but as a ex-Mod of this forum, this is exactly where I would put it as this kind of weather related issue directly affects all CX and KA flights. If one's flight is delayed out of say LAX to HKG on the affected date, you'd want to know why and if one comes here and sees the thread, then you'd know why.

Really.. if one's flights are cancelled, you'd come here and ask "Why was CX xxx cancelled?" . I doubt anyone would go to the HK forum first to find out the reason.

PS - Besides, why would you, leaccor, suddenly know it all for someone who joined in June 2013 with only 17 posts to date? You're not making a comeback under another assumed name, are you?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Aug 12, 2013 at 7:48 pm
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Sorry - but as a ex-Mod of this forum, this is exactly where I would put it as this kind of weather related issue directly affects all CX and KA flights. If one's flight is delayed out of say LAX to HKG on the affected date, you'd want to know why and if one comes here and sees the thread, then you'd know why.

Really.. if one's flights are cancelled, you'd come here and ask "Why was CX xxx cancelled?" . I doubt anyone would go to the HK forum first to find out the reason.
Yeah, and where did the last few weather related threads ended up? Not in this subforum....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...013-7-2-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...-30-april.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...t-hkg-ops.html

Last edited by leaccor; Aug 12, 2013 at 10:03 am
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
http://www.weather.gov.hk/wxinfo/int..._mode=playback
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: CX-Gold ; LH Miles & More

Thanks for the information.
I think it is the correct place here.
So I am aware that there is a certain risk with my flight to Hong Kong soon and I can monitor the situation already now.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Looks like I should be safe then- choosing an early morning flight paid off this time
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:09 pm

I am appreciative of the fact that someone is caring and posts - to the forum most people would be reading. I hope this forum gets back to be being constructive.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Forecast for the airfield indicates that from 11pm tonight (13th) to 8 am on the 14th the winds will be from the east and gusting up to 40knots. Should make for a rough ride as the winds come off the hills.

P.S there is a Hong Kong forum???
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Imho, this is an appropriate forum to post info that could have a major impact on Cathay Pacific operations at the Hkg hub. The Cathay Pacific forum is where I would look for information.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:13 pm

Ignore the same list of people that have nothing better to do but chase new comers away with insults, and now tries to play forum cop.

As for the OP, good post, my wife once flew a CX plane that took off on Signal 8 Typhoon, and it was the old airport! She said that was one great experience (she is one bold lady.) Anyway, I am just hoping that the typhoon somehow misses Hong Kong, or the effects to HK is minimized to a point that planes can still take off.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
The latest forecast models show the eye of the storm headed more to the west, missing both HKG and MFM. However, there will still be some wind and rain activity.

I knew that aviation meteorology class that I took in college would be good for something, someday.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Ah excellent. The one and only time my LHR-HKG flight on Wed is not covered by my Amex insurance. Typical.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: aa exp
Good post, thanks for the heads up, hoping my Friday JFK->HK is unaffected (or maybe a cancelation on Wed means they are offering vouchers on Friday to fly later?).
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by ak333
However, there will still be some wind and rain activity.
It already has maximum sustained wind of 155km/h or 96MPH, making it equivalent to Category 2 hurricane; and it is expected to strengthen some more to 175km/h or 108MPH, which is close to Category 3.

Looking at 8am satellite images from the HK Observatory, the eye is well defined and its associated cloud cover has extended from the southern tip of Taiwan to eastern coast of Hainan, about 1,000km or 600mi.

The first band of thunderstorm will hit HK within the hour, even though the eye is over 400km away.

To make it on-topic for this forum, those flying out of HK late tonite, like all those CX longhauls to Europe, may be affected; and I expect many if not most flights scheduled to arrive early tomorrow morning to be delayed for hours or cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.