Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U - fare code

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

U - fare code

Looking to travel YYZ-CEB on CX business class. Found what appears to be a reputable travel agent that has a very cheap U-fare code. Was informed that Asia Miles will not be awarded which is not a concern to me.

As I have never heard of a U-fare code are there any issues with buying a U-fare code ticket. How are missed connections/ involuntary re-bookings handled.

I just don't want to be on my own if something goes wrong.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
To my understanding, U is used as an award code in Business, either for award redemptions or upgrades using miles from Y+..
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by concol
Looking to travel YYZ-CEB on CX business class. Found what appears to be a reputable travel agent that has a very cheap U-fare code. Was informed that Asia Miles will not be awarded which is not a concern to me.....
Originally Posted by ANZ787900
To my understanding, U is used as an award code in Business, either for award redemptions or upgrades using miles from Y+..
+1. U is business awards or upgrades. TA is selling awards.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:02 pm

Its a redemption booking - the agent is selling the miles which is kind of violation of the AM rule but CX is not strictly enforcing it.
There will be no problem for missed connection.
Downside of getting U class is that you will be subject to redemption availability when you try to rebook it and you cannot change a transit to stopover or vice versa.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:39 pm
Suspended

How deep of a discount is this agent selling this ticket....vs. a normal revenue ticket?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by ANZ787900

I am still asking CX to give me Y miles from a FULL-FARE Y ticket upgraded to J using miles. After the mileage upgrade the code is U, and apparently the new system doesn't give miles with U-code, although in my case it's not a redemption booking but upgrade (I paid full fare, not even discount fare), another CX systemic problem.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I am still asking CX to give me Y miles from a FULL-FARE Y ticket upgraded to J using miles. After the mileage upgrade the code is U, and apparently the new system doesn't give miles with U-code, although in my case it's not a redemption booking but upgrade (I paid full fare, not even discount fare), another CX systemic problem.
I upgraded myself in late May for some flights to J and the miles weren't posted correctly but kudos to the desk at The Wing at the top of the stairs for sorting it all out for me without any hassle.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Looking to travel YYZ-CEB on CX business class. Found what appears to be a reputable travel agent that has a very cheap U-fare code. Was informed that Asia Miles will not be awarded which is not a concern to me.
Wouldn't the TA need to constantly pay the fee to.change their redemption list for this to work ?

Are you a close customer with them?
Or will they offer this to any customer off the street?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:57 pm

The changing of redemption group costs only 100USD, i.e. 20usd per name. This is immaterial comparing to the price he charges.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by LchChester
The changing of redemption group costs only 100USD, i.e. 20usd per name. This is immaterial comparing to the price he charges.
Perhaps the agent selling the award is not using MPO/AsiaMiles so no need for amending redemption group lists?

They could be using AAdvantage or even BA Executive Club miles.

Either way, the OP needs to be careful not to brag about getting such a good deal while at the airport otherwise he could be denied boarding.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

To answer most of the questions from above:

The cost of the business class from YYZ-CEB (return) is under $3,400USD all in.

They did mention that a change would cost $250 USD and that it is subject to price differences, which sounds like standard stuff to me.

I have no previous relationship with the Travel Agent

However, I am worried now that it appears the TA is selling a U-fare code award ticket.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I would personally steer clear of this "deal".
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
To answer most of the questions from above:

The cost of the business class from YYZ-CEB (return) is under $3,400USD all in.

They did mention that a change would cost $250 USD and that it is subject to price differences, which sounds like standard stuff to me.

I have no previous relationship with the Travel Agent

However, I am worried now that it appears the TA is selling a U-fare code award ticket.
There are MANY travel agents selling award tickets - and many people are happily selling their miles in exchange for cash. Every one benefits EXCEPT the person flying of course. Chances are they are award tickets issued by a partner airline like AA, which are harder to deny boarding on partner airlines.

However for an award ticket, some first time flyers will gladly pay such a 'steal' for a business class ticket. But for the rest of us, we want our miles!

I wouldn't call US$3400 a 'steal' ... Be aware when buying such tickets !!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...The cost of the business class from YYZ-CEB (return) is under $3,400USD all in...
I would not pay more than $2,000 for U class awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.