Wiki Posts
Search

CX duty free

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;
CX duty free

I'm not a big duty free shopper, but I notice in the current CX catalogue a couple of things which would be 'just right' as presents. About HK$4,000 worth including some small electronics and cosmetics.

Can anyone say if the CX duty free prices are any better, or worse than, say, HKG or SIN airport?

Anyone had issues with the pre-flight order service?
Old May 21, 2013, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by RooFlyer
I'm not a big duty free shopper, but I notice in the current CX catalogue a couple of things which would be 'just right' as presents. About HK$4,000 worth including some small electronics and cosmetics.

Can anyone say if the CX duty free prices are any better, or worse than, say, HKG or SIN airport?

Anyone had issues with the pre-flight order service?
Never had an issue with their pre-order service, although I always hate extra bags to carry with me into the cabin. Also, the prices are fine compared to airport prices, and if you are MPO member you get another 10% discount (not sure if this is still the case, but it's been running for awhile.)
Old May 21, 2013, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Never had an issue with their pre-order service, although I always hate extra bags to carry with me into the cabin. Also, the prices are fine compared to airport prices, and if you are MPO member you get another 10% discount (not sure if this is still the case, but it's been running for awhile.)
Thanks! I may have mis-understood the pre-order mechanism. If you pre-order, do they give it to you before you board, or on-board? I had assumed the latter and thought it a good idea to ensure supply .
Old May 21, 2013, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Also, the prices are fine compared to airport prices, and if you are MPO member you get another 10% discount (not sure if this is still the case, but it's been running for awhile.)
Plus the availability to earn some extra bonus miles. Not a huge lot....but better than 0 from airport's duty free shops.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
On my recent flight on CX over the weekend, they were offering 15% on all items on board.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:25 pm

Thanks! I may have mis-understood the pre-order mechanism. If you pre-order, do they give it to you before you board, or on-board? I had assumed the latter and thought it a good idea to ensure supply .
They give it to you in the boarding bridge (after scanning boarding pass, before entering airplane.) You won't missed it, usually a guy or two there with a bunch of plastic bags with different people's orders in each bag.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
My wife likes to check out the prices. She always find CX way more expensive on ladies products and booze. We bought whiskey for customers in Taiwan at TPE rather than onboard and it was half the price CX offered it at.

Last edited by mayodave; May 22, 2013 at 12:20 am
Old May 22, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: NZ, QF
They give it to you in the boarding bridge (after scanning boarding pass, before entering airplane.) You won't missed it, usually a guy or two there with a bunch of plastic bags with different people's orders in each bag.
My experience was different. Was flying CX to Milan in March and pre-ordered a duty-free item. Received the item onboard during the flight (after a meal).
Old May 22, 2013, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
Thats because its part of the security for taking duty free into Europe. Buying duty free in Hong Kong and flying to say Manchester in UK you transit in LHR and they wont let you through with duty free bought in the shops in HKG only what has been specially sealed and given to you on the flight.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:02 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Unhappy A lot of BOOZE & Sunglasses available!

I have not been finding the Duty Free Shops or on board prices to be such bargains like in the old days of flying!

Usually take a short cut throgh the Duty Free shops to see if there are any needed fine BIOTHERME for Men facial products available, since they are not so readily available in the Dept stores, as in the past.
I guess one can consider no State Sales tax a savings now!

Last edited by R&R; May 23, 2013 at 11:46 am
Old May 23, 2013, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
My 2 cents - Duty free is basically a scam...
Old May 23, 2013, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Yep, gone are the days when they really write-off what the government duties are. Nowadays they jack up the prices. Some products might be slightly cheaper, but they are definitely not a bargain like they were decades ago.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Well, thanks for that. As it happens the items I'm after WERE considerably (abt 15%) cheaper than what I can find in Nth America retail and abt 10% cheaper than DF in Vancouver, compared to CX's DF catalogue.

From advice here is that CX DF is cheaper than HKG airport DF and that's what I found too.

You can call it a scam in general, but in this instance, I call it good value and very convenient.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Well, thanks for that. As it happens the items I'm after WERE considerably (abt 15%) cheaper than what I can find in Nth America retail and abt 10% cheaper than DF in Vancouver, compared to CX's DF catalogue.
Do you mind sharing what exactly you are buying?
Old May 24, 2013, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Do you mind sharing what exactly you are buying?
Not wishing to offend, but no. They are already bought and in my suitcase. I don't want to get I to a "oh, that's cheaper here" thing.

Grateful to this thread. I got to choose what I wanted, in a convenient way confident that it wouldn't be a price disaster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.