Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Dragon

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Cathay Dragon

For those interesting into knowing more about the so-called rumours relating to "Cathay Dragon"...

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...k-competitors/
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: CX, le club accorhotels platinum
Because the author sometimes seemed to make a few assertions that I've never seen made with such confidence, I LOL-ed a few times and remain a little uncertain if it's meant to be a serious article. Or maybe my head's just screwed on sideways today.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:52 am

since we are on rumors

this forum seems to indicate 25 777 to join CX

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting...-rounds-2.html
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:13 am

At least cx has registered for cathaydragon.com since 2006.
http://hostingspeed.net/account/view...thaydragon.com
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by LchChester
At least cx has registered for cathaydragon.com since 2006.
http://hostingspeed.net/account/view...thaydragon.com
Surprisingly, it will be expiring during June this year, wonder does that mean anything
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by JALlover
Surprisingly, it will be expiring during June this year, wonder does that mean anything
Doubtful. Most domains renew their registration a short time before the expiration.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Club, Virgin Flying Club
South China Morning Post

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...nair-employees

Branding pictures baffle Dragonair employees

Three mysterious branding-type photos are raising questions on whether the airline is moving to align its image with parent Cathay

A new image may be in the works for Dragonair, judging from three photographs that appear to herald a brand relaunch.

One of the pictures shows a model standing in front of a plane with the words "Cathay Dragon" emblazoned across it. Industry insiders say the images are part of a genuine effort to sort out the future relationship between Cathay Pacific and its wholly owned subsidiary.

The pictures have been circulating among Dragonair employees. The airline said: "The photos are not from us," but would not say if it had commissioned the photography.

When Cathay Pacific bought Dragonair for HK$8.22 billion in 2006, it said it would allow Dragonair to operate under its own brand for six years. The deadline passed last year.

One airline source said: "Dragonair is much better known in [mainland] China than Cathay Pacific, whereas in the rest of world it's the other way around, so there are reasons why maintaining the status quo makes sense."

Michael Wong Kai-wo, chairman of the 1,200-strong Dragon Airlines Flight Attendants Association, said his colleagues found the images on a website in December.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by Gweilo
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/a...nair-employees

Branding pictures baffle Dragonair employees

Three mysterious branding-type photos are raising questions on whether the airline is moving to align its image with parent Cathay

A new image may be in the works for Dragonair, judging from three photographs that appear to herald a brand relaunch.

One of the pictures shows a model standing in front of a plane with the words "Cathay Dragon" emblazoned across it. Industry insiders say the images are part of a genuine effort to sort out the future relationship between Cathay Pacific and its wholly owned subsidiary.

The pictures have been circulating among Dragonair employees. The airline said: "The photos are not from us," but would not say if it had commissioned the photography.

When Cathay Pacific bought Dragonair for HK$8.22 billion in 2006, it said it would allow Dragonair to operate under its own brand for six years. The deadline passed last year.

One airline source said: "Dragonair is much better known in [mainland] China than Cathay Pacific, whereas in the rest of world it's the other way around, so there are reasons why maintaining the status quo makes sense."

Michael Wong Kai-wo, chairman of the 1,200-strong Dragon Airlines Flight Attendants Association, said his colleagues found the images on a website in December.

Funny how they are not from them, but the pilot and flight attendant pictured were both asked to poise and then sign non disclosure agreements.

Simply the worst kept secret ever, or leverage to achieve another goal.

Im not sure which, but I know CX commisioned the adverts.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:01 am

CX prepare kickstart rumor brand name "Cathay Dragon"?

Just notice CX and KA combined their Chinese Twitter(Sina Weibo) account into "Cathay and Dragonair", did the rumor new brand name "Cathay Dragon" is ready to launch?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
I don't think this would be a good idea. The reality is that KA is (with limited exceptions such as BLR, which is due to be switched to CX anyway) a short-to-mid-haul airline. As such it gets away with a poorer onboard offering compared to CX (although the new regional business class will reduce this difference somewhat). However, CX avoids brand dilution by keeping the KA brand separate, while still offering the connectivity and seamless service. I think - and this is only a personal opinion - that this has the potential to dilute the CX brand. Look at BA - their shorthaul offering seriously damages their brand, IMHO.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Gweilo
When Cathay Pacific bought Dragonair for HK$8.22 billion in 2006, it said it would allow Dragonair to operate under its own brand for six years.
Sounds a bit like China letting Hong Kong operate "under its own brand" for 50 years!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:17 am

This is actually good in my opinion, it means CX isn't going to cheapen KA into a LCC airline like it was rumored a few years ago. It may also mean CX is finally going to absorb KA into its family and doing things the CX way - which in my opinion is much better than the KA way that I've personally experience lately.

My only worry is KA may drag down CX and not CX lifting up KA. We will see the wisdom of upper management in this regard.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
I don't think this would be a good idea. The reality is that KA is (with limited exceptions such as BLR, which is due to be switched to CX anyway) a short-to-mid-haul airline. As such it gets away with a poorer onboard offering compared to CX (although the new regional business class will reduce this difference somewhat). However, CX avoids brand dilution by keeping the KA brand separate, while still offering the connectivity and seamless service. I think - and this is only a personal opinion - that this has the potential to dilute the CX brand. Look at BA - their shorthaul offering seriously damages their brand, IMHO.
Maybe it will be like this:

Short-mid haul: Cathay Dragon
Long haul (with some short-mid haul offering): Cathay Pacific

operating as two distinct services totally under one management rather than two managements.

or will there be a brand new name Cathay Dragon? In my opinion that will be a serious mistake, Cathay Pacific has such a world-wide recognition and its name stands for class, luxury, 5-star airline. Cathay Dragon sounds like a cheap teenage video game.

In whatever case, I'm just glad CX management is taking over KA management for good.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
There is no Dragonair management. Its been a directionless ship for years with puppets from Cathay doing as they are told. Full absorption is the only way to sort it.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Maybe it will be like this:

Short-mid haul: Cathay Dragon

or will there be a brand new name Cathay Dragon? In my opinion that will be a serious mistake, Cathay Pacific has such a world-wide recognition and its name stands for class, luxury, 5-star airline. Cathay Dragon sounds like a cheap teenage video game.
Although I know that Cathay Pacific has a world-wide recognition, but surprisingly in mainland China, people know the name dragonair more than Cathay Pacific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.