Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New lounge to open in September this year dubbed "The Bridge"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New lounge to open in September this year dubbed "The Bridge"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by derek2010
Is that The Pier (F and J lounges) seems to have a renovation like The Wing?
Will be in HKG for transit this week and wondering if The Pier is closed for renovation at the moment?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:19 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
What will it be called in Chinese?
The existing lounges are 玉衡堂, 寰宇堂 which already sounds like names in funeral homes/crematoriums
So is this one going to be called 金銀橋? (MPO GO and SL only - OW elites and DMs head elsewhere).
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by mosburger
Will be in HKG for transit this week and wondering if The Pier is closed for renovation at the moment?
was there few days ago. section between F and J is renovating. However that's where the old PCs were housed so Pier lost pretty much most PC workstation with temporary 8 PC on the side corner... but these PCs are so old/slow/crap I wouldn't want them even if someone paid me us$500 to use.

I will just stick to Wing assuming you have lengthy connection to allow you to stroll to your next gate.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
What will it be called in Chinese?
The existing lounges are 玉衡堂, 寰宇堂 which already sounds like names in funeral homes/crematoriums
So is this one going to be called 金銀橋? (MPO GO and SL only - OW elites and DMs head elsewhere).
Looks like they really like the word "堂“
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
[QUOTE=fakecd;21336398]was there few days ago. section between F and J is renovating. However that's where the old PCs were housed so Pier lost pretty much most PC workstation with temporary 8 PC on the side corner... but these PCs are so old/slow/crap I wouldn't want them even if someone paid me us$500 to use.

agreed about the old PC's. Kind of a waste of space too considering nearly everyone these days brings their own connectivity. Wondering if there is anything special being done or just a "refresh"?
Was in the Wing today at 12.30pm. Very empty really and gave me a much better feeling than compared to peak times.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: QF plat, CX gold, SQ pps, Ethihad gold, Klm gold, HH gold, spy gold
It isn't the ow elites. Cx admits sl members and naturally, there are many sls. Cx lounges overseas are very poor. For instance ,in Singapore. I would rather use the better qantas lounges. So for mpos, they will be considered ow elites , who are equally eligible. So restriction of owe isnt the way to resolve the problem. Cx should limit sl from lounge visits.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Syamyael
Cx lounges overseas are very poor. For instance ,in Singapore. I would rather use the better qantas lounges. So for mpos, they will be considered ow elites , who are equally eligible. So restriction of owe isnt the way to resolve the problem. Cx should limit sl from lounge visits.
To be fair, I don't know if the CX lounge situation in Singapore is a fair comparison. The Skyview lounge or whatever it's called is quite small and SIN is one of CX's most elite-heavy routes.

The principle debate (I thought) centered around HKIA, and specifically the F side where the lounges are packed, and obviously that is not related to SL members. And obviously F entry is limited to DM, OWE, F pax and guests.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:30 pm

It isn't the ow elites. Cx admits sl members and naturally, there are many sls. Cx lounges overseas are very poor. For instance ,in Singapore. I would rather use the better qantas lounges. So for mpos, they will be considered ow elites , who are equally eligible. So restriction of owe isnt the way to resolve the problem. Cx should limit sl from lounge visits.
MPO SL can't use F lounge, the F lounge is the one that should be expected to not be a zoo, and that is OWE's love to use CX F lounge rather than their own F lounges in HKIA.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by fakecd
was there few days ago. section between F and J is renovating. However that's where the old PCs were housed so Pier lost pretty much most PC workstation with temporary 8 PC on the side corner... but these PCs are so old/slow/crap I wouldn't want them even if someone paid me us$500 to use.

I will just stick to Wing assuming you have lengthy connection to allow you to stroll to your next gate.
Thanks, The Pier still seems ok despite some obvious renovation going on in the section you mentioned.

Could have gone to The Wing as well (needed to shower so The Cabin did not fit in) but departure gate was closer to Pier.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
All this talk of restricting Oneworld cross-lounge access is a very slippery slope. I'm sure most sensible rational people happy to put up with a few more people in the F lounge as long as they can continue having reciprocal access elsewhere.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: QF plat, CX gold, SQ pps, Ethihad gold, Klm gold, HH gold, spy gold
If it is f lounge, sydney airport is a good example. It is far superior to any lounge in hkia and admits qAntas platinum and ow emeralds. Accordingly to the same logic, they should exercise a control to admit only platinums and not cx mpo diamonds since majority if not all will visit qantas first lounge here rather than the pathetic cx lounge. Pertaining to the poor comparison , I really don't see any cx lounge that are great overseas other than Taipei lounge. All others are poor offerings in general. I.e. Bangkok and Sydney airports.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:55 am
Suspended

If it is f lounge, sydney airport is a good example. It is far superior to any lounge in hkia and admits qAntas platinum and ow emeralds. Accordingly to the same logic, they should exercise a control to admit only platinums and not cx mpo diamonds since majority if not all will visit qantas first lounge here rather than the pathetic cx lounge. Pertaining to the poor comparison , I really don't see any cx lounge that are great overseas other than Taipei lounge. All others are poor offerings in general. I.e. Bangkok and Sydney airports.
Where is the CX lounge in SYD?? In SYD there is no CX lounge and CX pays QF for the access

The LHR lounge and the CDG lounge are pretty decent lounge and many AA BA pax use as well
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
To be fair, I don't know if the CX lounge situation in Singapore is a fair comparison. The Skyview lounge or whatever it's called is quite small and SIN is one of CX's most elite-heavy routes.

The principle debate (I thought) centered around HKIA, and specifically the F side where the lounges are packed, and obviously that is not related to SL members. And obviously F entry is limited to DM, OWE, F pax and guests.
When you know that a lounge that can be access by Priority Pass, and passengers travelling in over 10 other airlines (including J class passengers and frequent flyer), you will know how worse the situation can be in CX's Singapore lounge.

Even for CX herself, she does not name the lounge with her name appears(like what she does in Tokyo, London, Taipei etc.) . Maybe she also feels shame at operating a lounge with that quality.

''elite-heavy '' ? It depends on how you define ''elite''. If you are referring to elite member, probably yes. But if you are referring to those passengers who really pay for the Business Class seat with Business Class price (not by op-up or mileage redeem), then I am afraid it is not.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by minam
When you know that a lounge that can be access by Priority Pass, and passengers travelling in over 10 other airlines (including J class passengers and frequent flyer), you will know how worse the situation can be in CX's Singapore lounge.

Even for CX herself, she does not name the lounge with her name appears(like what she does in Tokyo, London, Taipei etc.) . Maybe she also feels shame at operating a lounge with that quality.

''elite-heavy '' ? It depends on how you define ''elite''. If you are referring to elite member, probably yes. But if you are referring to those passengers who really pay for the Business Class seat with Business Class price (not by op-up or mileage redeem), then I am afraid it is not.
yeah but its more so than other airlines - a greater proportion of CX pax are business paying passengers unlike other Asian carriers ( hence the extreme high premium config)

also as much as people here may disagree, elites(members) all over the world like the CX HKG lounges and want to use it at HKG cause they are among the best in the world

and unlike SYD , HKG is actually a hub and not an end destination so there will be more crowd
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:00 am
Suspended

Date confirmed to be October 28th.

Press media event at 3pm, and then open to public sometime in the late afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.