Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

no extra baggage allowance for OneWorld EMERALD member when taking CX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no extra baggage allowance for OneWorld EMERALD member when taking CX?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Question no extra baggage allowance for OneWorld EMERALD member when taking CX?

Booked CX Y class HKG-Sapporo ski trip in January. I've just learned that there is no extra baggage allowance as Oneworld EMERALD member (AA ExPlat) when taking CX flight! Is that true? It really sounds ridiculous since I can check in at CX first class counter and have access to CX first class lounge with my Emerald status but CX does not give extra baggage allowance!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:00 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Extra luggage allowances between alliance members is not a OneWorld benefit unfortunately. It's not a specific CX issue, it applies to all airlines in OneWorld. But CX is the airline that is most likely to be lenient in this regard ie they will see you are a OWE and *possibly* let you take on extra baggage.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:08 am

Correct - there is no Oneworld baggage policy across airlines
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:12 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
It's correct that CX has no official policy for giving AA extra baggage. Although AA does give CX elites extra baggage allowance on domestic flights.

There's no OW policy so each airline handles it as they please.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Thanks for the replies. Dxxn! Should have booked ANA instead although it's not a direct non-stop flight like CX. ANA Gotta stop at NRT for domestic flight transfer but it gives 2 bags, 23kg EACH, and Star Alliance Gold Members are entitled to 1 extra piece/32kg of baggage, so I am entitled for total 3 pcs with total weight 78kg(23+23+32)!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-gb; GT-I9210 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Note though the nrt transit is quite time consuming and you normally end up 3-4 hours longer travel time.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Booked CX Y class HKG-Sapporo ski trip in January. I've just learned that there is no extra baggage allowance as Oneworld EMERALD member (AA ExPlat) when taking CX flight! Is that true? It really sounds ridiculous since I can check in at CX first class counter and have access to CX first class lounge with my Emerald status but CX does not give extra baggage allowance!
There is one exception - if you are connecting from a U.S. bound flight within 30 days (IIRC), your U.S. baggage allowance will be allowed based on the carrier rule's. Boarding pass is required.

So if you fly CX to HKG, that allowance will be used.

If you fly to HKG by UA or SQ, the best that CX can do will be 2x23kg.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
There is one exception - if you are connecting from a U.S. bound flight within 30 days (IIRC), your U.S. baggage allowance will be allowed based on the carrier rule's. Boarding pass is required....
All segments need to be on the same ticket for transpacific allowance to apply.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TerryK
This isn't always true. I've been able to get the TPAC allowance when segments were on separate tickets, as long as the connections were <24hrs.

As has been mentioned, excess baggage allowance is not a published benefit for OW elites. AA is alone in allowing all OW elites the same excess baggage allowance that it grants its own elites.

Different alliances have different benefits. ST and *A both have standardized excess baggage allowances, but OW does not. OW does allow F check-in, boarding, and lounge access to its top-tier elites, and is the only alliance to do this. If you reach top-tier (Emerald), IMO this is more valuable than excess baggage allowance, but it all depends on what you value.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Extra baggage is CX DM benefit, not OW Emerald benefit. I learned that the hard way when AA slapped me with $150 USD for the third bag that I took to the AA counter. So no, you don't get it and it's not ridiculous.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Extra baggage is CX DM benefit, not OW Emerald benefit. I learned that the hard way when AA slapped me with $150 USD for the third bag that I took to the AA counter. So no, you don't get it and it's not ridiculous.
Even for DM, the extra allowance between NA and HKG is only an extra piece at 23kg, not 32kg as what OP can get from ANA. (I always thought the extra piece allowed under the piece concept in *A has the same weight limit as the other two pieces, but apparently I am wrong.)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by TerryK
There is no need for that. As soon as you show your boarding pass within 30 days, then the piece concept will be applied.

Last time I travel with CX and then CA on different tickets, CA in fact allows to check all the way 3x32kg (*G piece maximum) but I have nothing to check .
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:27 pm

It is actually one of my major disappointments with OW, but it is true that OW Emerald and Sapphire members will not provide you with increased baggage allowance. I believe BA/IB/AA have their own alliances which permits their top elite members to check in two bags regardless of class of service and routes, but other OW FF are not applicable. Finnair seems to be one of the more generous airlines with two free check-in bags for all OW Emerald and Sapphire members. Other OW airlines seem to provide no extra baggage allowance to OW Emerald and Sapphire members, and only give extra baggage to their own elites.

With Star Alliance Gold getting extra 10kg or one extra bag of check-in luggage, I think OW should introduce something similar.

Carfield
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
If I am not wrong, there is no priority baggage handling as well for elite Oneworld members, right?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Maybe we can feedback to Oneworld to have these benefits included?
http://faq.oneworld.com/ONEWORLD/_cs...JGFUGHN&rqst=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.