Wiki Posts
Search

CX 807 ORD-HKG 7-25 Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
CX 807 ORD-HKG 7-25 Cancelled

Today's ORD-HKG flight CX 807 cancelled due to the typhoon.

I was traveling on an award ticket...

No notification from AA or CX
; fortunately I was being proactive and checked the flight status before heading to the airport. Currently on the phone with AA working on a reroute to my final destination (BKK).
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Update

Thanks to the good people on the AA EXP phone line I'm rerouted via NRT on AA & JL (F and J). I was really looking forward to First Class on CX, but I guess I'll have to wait until the next trip.

Mods, feel free to merge this with the typhoon protocol thread.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 5:47 pm

The July 25 flight from HKG to ORD was canceled too. No announcement made in the Cabin lounge. I discovered it online. They didn't reroute us. They just have us flying today, July 26. I guess both flights were empty enough that they could combine passengers from both into one flight.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Quite a day so far...!

After being rebooked on AA 153 via NRT we depart on time and then go mechanical about an hour into the flight and are forced to return to ORD. Pilot advised he had to declare an emergency due to landing overweight so the firetrucks were waiting next to the runway when we landed. Flight finally leaves four hours late after an aircraft swap and of course I miss the NRT-BKK flight.

AA is proactive and arranges for bus transportation to HND where I'm currently awaiting TG 661, the redeye to BKK. Hopefully I'll sleep the entire way!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
If I were in your position, I would not have called AA and would have let CX handle the reroute, keeping you on their metal.

When you call AA, they will only be able to rebook you on flights on partner airlines with award availability. With the disruption from the typhoon, CX F award seats this week are most likley nonexistent. Because you were ticketed on CX, CX would have been responsible for getting you to BKK and they could rebook you on their flights without being limited to award seats. It may have resulted in a delay of a day or so, but they would have at least gotten you to HKG in F (for BKK, as you probably know, CX does not always offer flights with F service).

You would have needed to show-up at ORD and CX would have dealt with you there.

Last edited by PresRDC; Jul 26, 2012 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PresRDC
If I were in your position, I would not have called AA and would have let CX handle the reroute, keeping you on their metal.

It sounds like you wanted to fly CX F and you lost that opportunity.
I absolutely wanted to fly CX, but I also need to be in BKK by a certain time. To be clear, CX never contacted me about the cancellation. And from what I've read, they didn't notify many others. Disappointing considering I was flying in first... I have a feeling I would still be sitting in ORD if I waited on CX.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf539
I absolutely wanted to fly CX, but I also need to be in BKK by a certain time. To be clear, CX never contacted me about the cancellation. And from what I've read, they didn't notify many others. Disappointing considering I was flying in first... I have a feeling I would still be sitting in ORD if I waited on CX.
Did CX have your contact info? Just because AA has your contact info, does not necessarily mean that CX had access to it.

This is also where Expertflyer can be invaluable. You could have looked at the CX F loads out of LAX, SFO, JFK and YVR and arrived at ORD armed with alternative routings.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:51 am

Woke up and saw an email that my flight on CX 889 JFK-YVR-HKG tonight at 10:40 was also cancelled. It's an award booking on BA, but I can't seem to get through to CX on the phone to reroute. Should I just go to the airport and try to deal with someone in person? I really don't want to be stuck here in NYC another day!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by pongben
Woke up and saw an email that my flight on CX 889 JFK-YVR-HKG tonight at 10:40 was also cancelled. It's an award booking on BA, but I can't seem to get through to CX on the phone to reroute. Should I just go to the airport and try to deal with someone in person? I really don't want to be stuck here in NYC another day!
You need to do this at the airport as CX reservations will not touch a BA award ticket even though the flight is cancelled. Only the airport ticketing desk might do something for you.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which is more important to you: leaving NYC today or flying CX? If the former, call BA and see what they can do. If the latter, show up at JFK and let CX handle your rebooking.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
You need to do this at the airport as CX reservations will not touch a BA award ticket even though the flight is cancelled. Only the airport ticketing desk might do something for you.
Dammit, thanks. I have a friend travelling with me as well on the same flight as me though the itinerary isn't linked. He won't be able to get to the airport until later tonight. Do you know if the airport ticketing desk will reroute him for me as well if I ask?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:16 am

Update: Just called BA and they were able to rebook me on another CX flight. Only economy seats left though...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:17 am

Update: Just called BA and they were able to rebook me on another CX flight. Only economy seats left though...
Why not go the long way around? BA morning flight to LHR, then evening flight to HKG. Granted, more miles and some tax, but beats flying Y.

EDIT: there's First on tomorrow's 0800 to LHR, and First on the connecting flight to HKG.

Last edited by jamienbaker; Jul 26, 2012 at 11:21 am Reason: added text
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Why not go the long way around? BA morning flight to LHR, then evening flight to HKG. Granted, more miles and some tax, but beats flying Y.

EDIT: there's First on tomorrow's 0800 to LHR, and First on the connecting flight to HKG.
Nice one, Jamie.

BTW, bet you're glad you chose Europe this summer. Sheesh, what a mess in HKG.

Bali for us in...let's see here.. carry the 1... 107 days.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by beckalodeon
Nice one, Jamie.

BTW, bet you're glad you chose Europe this summer. Sheesh, what a mess in HKG.

Bali for us in...let's see here.. carry the 1... 107 days.
360 days for us. Just began moving SPG points into AA so I can procure CX to DPS in August 2013, as soon as they're released.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.