Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tropical Storm Doksuri

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Tropical Storm Doksuri

Any insider knowledge as to when/if CX would decide to shut down operation in/out of Hong Kong airport tonight ?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
It's been pretty normal that even with typhoon signal hoisted the plane still take off and land as usual, I think last couple of times when we have T8 we still have a fully functional airport.

Check Cathaypacific.com / Airport Authority website helps
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
It's been pretty normal that even with typhoon signal hoisted the plane still take off and land as usual, I think last couple of times when we have T8 we still have a fully functional airport.

Check Cathaypacific.com / Airport Authority website helps
Not sure about HX with their stupid CAT I rating.

Latest rumour:

http://www.baby-kingdom.com/forum.ph...extra=page%3D1

以下消息未經証實,只作參考方便作準備
最新貨櫃碼頭消息:29/6(五)黄昏掛8号 ; 30/6(六)早上掛9号

此乃貨櫃碼頭消息,一切以天文台作準!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Does T8/T9/T10 not affect landing ? For taking off, heavy wind creates extra lift.....
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:22 am

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
It all depends on the wind speed and direction. The airport often operates during a T8. Each airline, though, can make their own choice.
I don't think this tropical storm is strong enough to make much difference.

Check out the front page of the Cathay Pacific website for their notice. Currently they are saying it is business as usual.

There is no T9. A T10, pretty much by definition, would close the airport.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Crocodile
...There is no T9. A T10, pretty much by definition, would close the airport.
Actually there is a T9 (Gale or storm force wind is increasing or expected to increase significantly in strength.)

The last T10 was in 1999 and before that 1983 so not very common
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Crocodile
It all depends on the wind speed and direction. The airport often operates during a T8. Each airline, though, can make their own choice.
I don't think this tropical storm is strong enough to make much difference.

Check out the front page of the Cathay Pacific website for their notice. Currently they are saying it is business as usual.

There is no T9. A T10, pretty much by definition, would close the airport.
Maybe

Force 8 max on saturday
http://www.weather.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/fnd.htm
That is "gale"
http://www.weather.gov.hk/education/beaufort.htm
Gale force winds can close down the airport
http://www.weather.gov.hk/publica/tc...h/table352.htm
http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...337&con_type=3

Moreover, rain and bad visibility can stop some airlines from landing.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by mdevans
Actually there is a T9 (Gale or storm force wind is increasing or expected to increase significantly in strength.)

The last T10 was in 1999 and before that 1983 so not very common
Yes, we had T9 in 2008. I remember we went to the movies and watched a double feature
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:00 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Doksuri is very small in scale, with multiple low level circulation centres that make locating its position extremely difficult. Any slight variation on its track can make a difference regarding airport operation. While No. 3 will very likely be issued in the next few hours, No. 8 might or might not. Current forecasts show that Doksuri will attain a maximum wind velocity right at the TS / STS border before landing, so No. 10 is impossible. I believe No. 9 can only be issued if a STS is landing near or at Hong Kong (or Macau in the case of Macau), so it is rather unlikely, too, although not entirely impossible. Since Doksuri is moving fast, my prediction is that, while there might some delays, the airport operation will remain more or less normal.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 5:08 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
For those of you who can read Chinese,

致 CXagents 用戶:

國泰航空今天(六月二十九日)宣佈,根據有關香港國際機場範圍的最新天氣預測,現在預計熱帶性風暴杜蘇芮將 不會對航務運作構成嚴重影響。

根據最新颱風走勢,國泰航空預期在六月二十九及三十日離港和抵港的國泰航班,將可維持正常服務。但當颱風於 周五晚上進一步接近香港時,並視乎熱帶性風暴杜蘇芮在未來數小時的走勢,有可能部分離港和抵港班機會受天氣 影響而導致延誤或須暫時轉飛其他地區。

國泰籲請旅客在出發前往機場前,宜先瀏覽國泰網站www.cathaypacific.com.tw,查閱最新航班資訊。乘客請於網上辦理登機手續時更新聯絡資料,確保能透過手機短訊或電郵,獲取有關航班的 最新消息。

國泰將繼續密切監察颱風動向。航班服務如有任何更改,會盡快作出公布。
國泰航空公司 謹上
www.cxagents.com
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Yes, we had T9 in 2008. I remember we went to the movies and watched a double feature
What? Theatre still standing?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:12 am

On CX633 to PEN tomorrow and ain't worrying too much, but i guess i'll have to check the status of the flight at 5AM before waking people up
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
What? Theatre still standing?
I was singing karaoke followed by mahjong all day long :-)
Old Jun 29, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: QF WP
Just a quick update based on my opinion:

Currently, flights are not affected very much despite signal 8 being hoisted, as the wind direction is parallel to the runways in HKG. Also, the wind is not very strong in the airport area at this stage, hence airport operations are so still relatively normal.

However, it is expected the wind will swing to the south-east towards tomorrow morning. This will happen gradually over the night, which means ever-increasing cross-wind components for flights operating in HKG.

Having said that, the system is moving quite quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if everything will start to return to normal towards lunchtime on Saturday.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Just a quick update based on my opinion:

Currently, flights are not affected very much despite signal 8 being hoisted, as the wind direction is parallel to the runways in HKG. Also, the wind is not very strong in the airport area at this stage, hence airport operations are so still relatively normal.

However, it is expected the wind will swing to the south-east towards tomorrow morning. This will happen gradually over the night, which means ever-increasing cross-wind components for flights operating in HKG.

Having said that, the system is moving quite quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if everything will start to return to normal towards lunchtime on Saturday.
However, if flights are delayed into hk, they will all hv a hard time to turn around to get out all at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.