Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

First Cathay Pacific flight: Award trip in J LAX-HKG-SIN. Pointers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Excited about an upcoming trip to visit friends in Singapore. It'll be my first time ever flying Cathay Pacific. Redeemed all my AAdvantage miles to fly in J. Would appreciate anyone's pointers/tips to ensure I get the most from the flight. Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Welcome to Flyertalk DazWilkin.

There are many many threads about flight experiences, seats, meals etc found on FlyerTalk. May I urge you to please use the search function and put in words like "Seats" "Meals" "experience" to find your answers. Alternatively you may try looking for reports at "Trip Reports" forum of Cathay Pacific experiences.

There is also the sticky at the top of this page where you can find everything you need to know about Cathay Pacific ..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-about-cx.html

Information about lounges, and what to do etc...

And if you're flying on one of the flights operated by the new 77W aircrafts with the new Business Class seats, see this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ka-cirrus.html

And if you'd like to see what sort of meal you can expect, you can see this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...xperience.html

Enjoy !
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by DazWilkin
Excited about an upcoming trip to visit friends in Singapore. It'll be my first time ever flying Cathay Pacific. Redeemed all my AAdvantage miles to fly in J. Would appreciate anyone's pointers/tips to ensure I get the most from the flight. Thanks!
board the flight. sit. enjoy
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
CX lounge in SIN isn't brilliant but has an OK view and a fridge full of cold Tiger beer. Gets quite busy though as is shared with a couple of other airlines and PP.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
I had my first trip on CX in Jan/Feb (r/t ORD-BKK via HKG in J) and absolutely loved it. I believe at 180 days out you can select your seats as long as you have your CX booking number. My partner and I were in the forward mini-J cabin on the 77W (11A & 12A) on the ORD-HKG flights and loved it. Two rows of seats (1x2x1) and on the return flight we were the only two in that forward area. Service was excellent, extremely personal and friendly. We had the opportunity to fly new J vs. old J and while new J was definitely better, old J was not too bad.

I believe that LAX uses the shared OW lounge for J customers that houses BA, QF and CX. It's not a bad lounge but I did spend 6.5 hours in LA on the way to Australia so I don't want to see that lounge again for a while. Enjoy your flight, HKG was a breeze to transit through as well, absolute pleasure. How long is your layover in HKG. On the outbound trip we used The Cabin J lounge and on the return we used The Wing (newly refurbished). I liked both lounges and spent as much time as possible there.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:13 pm

We are doing this same flight in J in the summer and are looking forward to it! Booked seats in the mini cabin. Will have a 6 hour layover in LAX so good to know we will be able to use the OW lounge there. Also have a tight 1.5 connection in HKG but dying to visit one of the HKG lounges for a quick shower before onwards to SIN! Hope you have a great flight and please do report back!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by DazWilkin
Well, you will get a lounge access so enjoy the lounge.

On J pray that you get the new business class because it's a world better than the old business class. If you get the old, the only good thing is that it lays flat, pretty much nothing else. If you get the new, you get a very roomy personal space, and don't forget to enjoy the full-range of entertainment system. You should get very friendly service but that's subject to personnel (I've gotten some pretty crappy service in J before), and the food is average, so don't expect much there.

As you connect in HKG, make sure to visit the Wing lounge which is probably their best J lounge at the moment, but expect it to be crowded. Visit the noodle bar upstairs, and a coffee shop, and if you want enjoy the shower rooms downstairs, and small buffet selection of foods.

Finally, you probably get regional seats for HKG-SIN? Hope not.

Arrived at SIN, your miles at work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.