Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Celebrity chef given HK$40K cash compensation for 9-hour delay on CX255

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrity chef given HK$40K cash compensation for 9-hour delay on CX255

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
or everyone on FT who is affected by this very flight (or with similar delays) should write to CEO as of now!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
i agree here CX has put itself in an awful situation. However they can still redress and come out clean, providing that:
a) they discipline heavily the staff involved in the accident, even if I tend to think this may be an overzealous employee overreaction;
b) they put forward quickly a set of rules to avoid repeats of such accidents or make sure they are rigidly enforced if they are existing. Make sure that any type of blackmailing or threats yields grounding or in some circumstances, a trip to the police station;
c) they put the smartass cook permanently in the blacklist, so any future attempt to book any type of ticket from CX, revenue or not, is refused.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by kaka
or everyone on FT who is affected by this very flight (or with similar delays) should write to CEO as of now!
No - here is what we should do:

1) Have Apple Daily Phone number ready at all time

2) Regardless what happened, ask for HKD$40K.

Originally Posted by CXBA
i agree here CX has put itself in an awful situation. However they can still redress and come out clean, providing that:
a) they discipline heavily the staff involved in the accident, even if I tend to think this may be an overzealous employee overreaction;
b) they put forward quickly a set of rules to avoid repeats of such accidents or make sure they are rigidly enforced if they are existing. Make sure that any type of blackmailing or threats yields grounding or in some circumstances, a trip to the police station;
c) they put the smartass cook permanently in the blacklist, so any future attempt to book any type of ticket from CX, revenue or not, is refused.
Impossible.

a) With this amount of compensation, it had to come from a manager.

b) CX was always slow on that. BTW - Mr. Wong did not blackmail CX at all - what he did (based on the video) was calling the media and "reserve all rights".

It was unclear that who offered HKD$40K.

c) You want to ban a CX MPC GO? Nice try.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by garykung
a) With this amount of compensation, it had to come from a manager.
then fire the manager.

b) CX was always slow on that. BTW - Mr. Wong did not blackmail CX at all - what he did (based on the video) was calling the media and "reserve all rights".

It was unclear that who offered HKD$40K.
we evidently differ on the meaning of blackmail. Do you possibly know what did he meant when he said "reserve all rights"?

c) You want to ban a CX MPC GO? Nice try.
status does not imply a license for doing anything that pleases you. If CX finds it objectionable they can remove it.

Last edited by CXBA; Jan 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm Reason: quotes
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
To be honest I will be glad to hear from CX that they revoke the MPC member from this guy.

Note: MPC is Macro Polo Club, for a club you can always kick mis-behaving member out
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
then fire the manager.
+1 How about the CEO first?

we evidently differ on the meaning of blackmail. Do you possibly know what did he meant when he said "reserve all rights"?
I don't want to guess...

status does not imply a license for doing anything that pleases you. If CX finds it objectionable they can remove it.
Then I remember a case - a former NW WorldPerk (Now DL SkyPeso) Platinum get booted from the program because of overcompensation. He then class action and sue DL.

The funny thing is the court in fact certifies the class.

(Although it will not happen in the case of CX, how far CX is willing to go?)
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
Originally Posted by a1983
Even travel insurance doesn't offer something as good ....

Sounds like blackmail. Extortion is something that can be reported to the police ... !
or demanding with menaces if he threatened the staff with job loss............
I was reading the BA thread a few days back
A Scotsman was moaning his flight was delayed and then eventually moved to another flight and they got back to Haggisland more than 4 hours late - they mentioned that if you are more than 2 hours late under EU agreements you can claim Euro 250.

So either the 40kx6 story is bo llox or the staff screwed up badly.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by immermann
...and frankly, CX deserves it given that how absurd it can go to discriminate revenue passengers vs passengers like this so called celebrity. I'm sure J and above passengers only get peanuts like hotel, food vouchers, and perhaps some cash...what a joke!
Hang on. He had a Gold card and produced an economy boarding pass so the checkin girl did her job. Basically he has then said ' delay no more' to CX. Cantonese speakers will get the drift of that.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
To be honest I will be glad to hear from CX that they revoke the MPC member from this guy.

Note: MPC is Macro Polo Club, for a club you can always kick mis-behaving member out
totally OT, but i read earlier on a magazine during haircut, that an ex govt official got banned from using the HKJC clubhouse at happy valley. so yea, with this, kicking a misbehaving MPC member out is totally in-line.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by kaka
totally OT, but i read earlier on a magazine during haircut, that an ex govt official got banned from using the HKJC clubhouse at happy valley. so yea, with this, kicking a misbehaving MPC member out is totally in-line.
Was it for getting into a fight with the son of a Hong Kong billionaire?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:58 am

I am sitting at the airport now 26.Jan waiting for my 00:45 27.Jan flight to Milan.

I just noticed that tonight's CX 255 is delayed until 8:00am tomorrow?

I wonder how many $40,000 CX is going to give out this time!

Let the flood gates open!!!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX is a sucker in dealing with celebrities.

An old news - http://the-sun.on.cc/channels/news/2...3437_0000.html

(In Chinese)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
I think the best way to teach CX a lesson is to post the story on as many mainland websites as possible. Just imagine full planeload of passengers refuse to disembark unless CX pays them HK$40K each in cash
Old Jan 26, 2012, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by rdchen
I think the best way to teach CX a lesson is to post the story on as many mainland websites as possible. Just imagine full planeload of passengers refuse to disembark unless CX pays them HK$40K each in cash
SCMP Laisee column www.scmp.com
Chef leaves Cathay in a stew

There are red faces at Cathay Pacific (SEHK: 0293) after a duty manager recently agreed to pay extraordinary compensation to celebrity chef Wong Wing-chee after he and his five travelling companions were told their Hong Kong-London flight had been delayed for about nine hours.

Cathay offered them HK$10,000 but Wong threatened to voice his complaints to Apple Daily. Eventually, the members of group, who were flying economy, were each given HK$40,000 and got an upgrade. The story still appeared in Apple Daily and other local papers.

A Cathay spokesman said: "As a general rule, we handle compensation matters on a case-by-case basis and do not discuss details." However, the matter is being fully discussed on the internet with people astonished at Cathay's weakness and Wong's greed.

It is a sentiment privately held by Cathay staff who are annoyed and embarrassed by the way the matter has been handled.

Cathay has had a bad run of publicity. A pilot was recently charged with a sex attack on a female cabin crew member in a New York hotel room. And last year pictures circulated on the internet of a pilot and a female flight attendant in, shall we say, a highly intimate situation in the cockpit of an aircraft while it was on the ground. .................... [email protected]
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by rdchen
Might come back and bite us in the butt, wouldn't want any more flights disrupted at HKG cause of unruly passengers, let alone mainlanders...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.