Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too many elites these days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
I can't see (actually I can) how/why this thread got this long.

Folks need to relax. If you anticipate a long line, then get in early or suck it up. An airline like CX is going to have lots of elites since HK is a city state and CX/KA is often the only realistic flight choice available and because HK is a commercial/business hub. It's not as stingy with awards/miles like SQ is, but I don't see many complaining about that.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:56 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / Hyatt Courtesy C./ Hertz
Originally Posted by Too much travel
The real issue is that there are all these false Golds / fake Diamonds around who have been granted their status through Amex rather than actual flights miles like us real travellers on this board. I understand the marketing logic of CX offering the Amex deal to potential future customers, but in doing so they have annoyed many of their actual current customers.
Very right, I belong to the very annoyed ones..... And I still believe that is is a basic marketing mistake to give away for nothing the keys to what should remain a very exclusive frequent flyer club.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by kamiao
I am sick of those people who demand cutting others' benefits to benefit themselves.
That is not the point and personnaly I dont care about boarding lines.
What I care about, because I do, as all Airlines and Hotels as well as business in general, believe in loyalty, is being rewarded for it.

I'm loyal to CX, fly well over 200.000 miles/years, and for this CX rewards me with some benefits, the most important ones as far as I'm concerned being op-up and 24 hours seat guarantee.

If a guy who just got his DM card via Amex, without having flown a mile on CX, gets the only OP-UP C to F available on my flight just because he checked in online 30 seconds before me, I feel betrayed by CX to whom I'm giving loyalty for over 15 years.
Is that silly thinking?

If it is, then the whole philosophy behind so called "loyalty programs" is equally silly.

Meaning staying loyal to CX would be silly if they keep giving away elite status to everyone!!!!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Grichka
Is that silly thinking?
Yes, unfortunately. Remember Hilton is giving out free membership to MPO members too.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ghlight=hilton

And while people complain not being rewarded for loyalty, many does at the same time benefit from this new norm - I can't see a single reply in the above post not welcoming the Hilton offer.

And back to the topic, I don't believe the 'real issue' in the long lines is these free membership, as this problem has been reported here well before Amex cardholders receiving the offer.

Last edited by hadsst; Dec 16, 2011 at 10:45 pm Reason: amend link
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by hadsst
Yes, unfortunately. Remember Hilton is giving out free membership to MPO members too.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...status-18.html

And while people complain not being rewarded for loyalty, many does at the same time benefit from this new norm - I can't see a single reply in the above post not welcoming the Hilton offer.
You are announcing the end of "loyalty program" here. Gosh......
By the way, I'm not taking the Hilton offer, I'm good with Hyatt, they reward my loyalty extremely well and therefore I'm not even interested at free access to Hilton Status.
I must be from the old school.

Last edited by Grichka; Dec 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Like I said on the other thread, someone's DM miles may not earn as much revenue as added revenue from Amex Centurion DM members. So, relax, or if you feel betrayed, you can always split your business to show your displeasure.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by roquejo
I enjoy the priority boarding experience on both CX and DL where I'm an SL and always boarded the aircraft ahead of almost all people to put my luggage in the compartment also ahead of most people, and also to be sure I got my favorite newspaper to read oon the plane...I don't have problem with long priority lines, the reason? I'm actively doing something about it:

I'm always very prompt and always first to lineup whenever boarding is called...

Is is because I don't purposely stay in the lounges until the very last minute.. I do maximize the lounge by coming earlier to the airport, then also leave the lounge earlier to give more allowance walking to the boarding gate..

so for those who hates lining up but want to maximize the lounge also, why don't you come to the airport earlier and check in earlier... so you could leave the lounge earlier also to be one of the first on the priority line..

works for me everytime.
This is not applicable during transit, however.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by AmexCent
Like I said on the other thread, someone's DM miles may not earn as much revenue as added revenue from Amex Centurion DM members. So, relax, or if you feel betrayed, you can always split your business to show your displeasure.
You want the whole mash like UA GS or AA CK?

Trust me, if such level has been implemented, DM will be like nothing (like AA EXP and UA 1K).
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: Who cares about your car rental elite status?
I think it's hypocritical of someone to suggest that MPC Greens should not have boarding priority because they somehow have not earned it or are somehow less worthy. Also suggesting that people who got MPC status from credit cards are somehow less worthy because they got status without flying a mile. Yet when you read someone's blog (see above), you will notice that he got his MPC Silver status as a match from another alliance, without ever flying a CX mile. Furthermore, his only monetary contribution to CX was the $100 he spent on a promo flight. And all he's done is b!tch about his experience on CX, and how he monopolized the crew's time. If ever someone should be considered a freeloader....

Last edited by divemtt; Dec 17, 2011 at 5:55 am Reason: Language
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: CX GO by flying, ex-QF PS, AMEX Platinum, CA & KrisFlyer Nobody
Originally Posted by Grichka
That is not the point and personnaly I dont care about boarding lines.
What I care about, because I do, as all Airlines and Hotels as well as business in general, believe in loyalty, is being rewarded for it.

I'm loyal to CX, fly well over 200.000 miles/years, and for this CX rewards me with some benefits, the most important ones as far as I'm concerned being op-up and 24 hours seat guarantee.

If a guy who just got his DM card via Amex, without having flown a mile on CX, gets the only OP-UP C to F available on my flight just because he checked in online 30 seconds before me, I feel betrayed by CX to whom I'm giving loyalty for over 15 years.
Is that silly thinking?

If it is, then the whole philosophy behind so called "loyalty programs" is equally silly.

Meaning staying loyal to CX would be silly if they keep giving away elite status to everyone!!!!
That's a different issue dude! I personally complained to MPC about their arrangement with AMEX to offer free Gold Status to Platinum holders... in fact as a Platinum holder myself, I have been offered such benefit - my question to them was if this was about to give away, then what was the point for me to buy your V class ticket every time I travel?

CX falls into a trap setup by itself - on one hand they are trying chasing new markets but on the other hand such a new market "gain" was on the cost of sacrificing its existing loyal customers. I was seriously to consider change my loyalty program to get a QF Gold - Qantas, opposite to CX, doesn't even offer any status matching and all you get was based on how frequently you fly with them.

If you see this unreasonable, I encourage you to complain to MPC too.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 7:08 am

Good points but CX is trying to please everyone

I think all of us have good points here, and there's no need to be judgmental over others' opinions. It is a good point to say CX isn't really rewarding the "real loyal members" who fly a lot, but it is also a good point to say that we shouldn't criticize CX to make GR members feel special too. I believe the issue is there really isn't one way to do it that will please everybody, whatever CX does it's bound to make a segment of the members upset over the others. However, having said this, I do believe CX can do something a little better and like everyone else I like to make my own suggestion.

1) CX should have four lines. First Class/DM; Business Class/GO; SL/GR; everyone else. Most gate area in HKIA are big enough to accommodate 4 lines and when they check people in they should use both the boarding machine to check all F/DM first. Then as that line is finished use both to check both J/GO. Then as that line is finished use the left "premium" machine to check SL/GR and right "economy" machine to check in the rest.

2) Really start to enforce the carry-on luggage rule to a T. The reason for boarding rush is that people are worry there won't be any cabin space left for their carry-on. Again, I shouldn't be seeing a couple carrying 4 carry-on luggage, excluding their handbag and laptop bag, and then take away one and a half cabin space that is meant for 6 people to share.

3) Enforce the 4 sectors MPC GR rule. Move them back to Asiamiles if they don't re-quality.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by divemtt
(snip) freeloader....
sorry to the mods. totally OT but a big LOL

back on topic, i think point #2 what cathayboy said sums it up.
if everyone brings(even the max) they are allowed to bring, there ought to be enough space for everything. the entire issue comes up because *some people decides to bring way over the limit on the plane* so everyone starts fighting for space.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I think all of us have good points here, and there's no need to be judgmental over others' opinions. It is a good point to say CX isn't really rewarding the "real loyal members" who fly a lot, but it is also a good point to say that we shouldn't criticize CX to make GR members feel special too. I believe the issue is there really isn't one way to do it that will please everybody, whatever CX does it's bound to make a segment of the members upset over the others. However, having said this, I do believe CX can do something a little better and like everyone else I like to make my own suggestion.

1) CX should have four lines. First Class/DM; Business Class/GO; SL/GR; everyone else. Most gate area in HKIA are big enough to accommodate 4 lines and when they check people in they should use both the boarding machine to check all F/DM first. Then as that line is finished use both to check both J/GO. Then as that line is finished use the left "premium" machine to check SL/GR and right "economy" machine to check in the rest.

2) Really start to enforce the carry-on luggage rule to a T. The reason for boarding rush is that people are worry there won't be any cabin space left for their carry-on. Again, I shouldn't be seeing a couple carrying 4 carry-on luggage, excluding their handbag and laptop bag, and then take away one and a half cabin space that is meant for 6 people to share.

3) Enforce the 4 sectors MPC GR rule. Move them back to Asiamiles if they don't re-quality.
But there are many Greens ex/TPE that can easily earn 4 sectors TPE-PVG via HKG......
It is almost too easy to get.
But, 4 sectors (2 RT) YVR-HKG can be more than 25k.....
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
But there are many Greens ex/TPE that can easily earn 4 sectors TPE-PVG via HKG......
It is almost too easy to get.
But, 4 sectors (2 RT) YVR-HKG can be more than 25k.....
CX is not the only one with the 4 sector rule.... although the initial GR is much easier to get (compared to JL, need 50K FOP to activate an annually renewable status by having 25K FOP or 4 sector or pay 5000 miles)

even then, CX is a better airline (general services, irrop services, profitibility etc. maybe not so much EY services(difference is small anyway) , but defo in the premium classes)
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by Jamoldo
I can't see (actually I can) how/why this thread got this long.

Folks need to relax. If you anticipate a long line, then get in early or suck it up.
Finally, one Voice of Reason. You left out 'start flying in private jets.' How do you say "do you know who I am" in Cantonese? The amazing claims, with no data to back them up (e.g. all Caucasians are freeloading OW'ers and couldn't possibly live in HK and be a CX elite) are pathetic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.