Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will award seats be made available / when are awards released?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by flood
Would anybody be kind enough to advise if there is any availability for 2 award seats, one way, LHR - SYD (via HKG) on CX metal in the last 2 weeks of May, 2015?

Ideally in F, otherwise J.
It's really far easier for you to check yourself as the answer is not going to be straight forward. Sign up for an asiamiles account (free) then go to CX web site and select book a trip/redeem flights login with your new AM member number and from here you can easily find what is available FOR AM MEMBERS.... not necessarily the same as what is available for other OneWorld partners. I suggest starting at CX website to narrow down your options, then move to JL or BA or QF web site and search on the days you found available to see if the seats are also available for OneWorld partners members.

A quick search suggests that the LHR to HKG segment will be fairly easy to find. The HKG to SYD not so. Search on each segment separately as entering a one-way LHR to SYD has the CX web site pulling up flights on BA/QF (e.g. 18 May BA/QF via DXB is available right now in F for two).

If using AA miles you might want to follow this thread...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-new-post.html

DAK
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Just from my experience using the JL tool. I find that Mon or Tuesday am (early around 5ish) US Central time is when they release more awards (unless someone cancels) for the longhaul flights e.g. North America, Europe, Australia.

On the shorter hops in and around HKG, it seems to be on "automatic pilot" on a daily basis and not much "manual" release like the longhaul routes.
So frustrating. Looking at a flight that's F3 and has two available awards in F. A flight that's F4 the same day has nothing! Killing me, as my plans are not flexible.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
I am planning YVR-JFK-YVR in F with my SO for January 2016 using Avios. When I search using AA I often see 1 seat available in F but never 2.

Has anyone had any luck getting 2 F on the same flight?

Will I have better luck at 11 months out or closer to the travel date?

TIA
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Another data point for reference:

Dec18, 2014 CX829 YYZ-HKG, originally booked in K class, was able to get mileage upgrade to PEY at T-52hr.

Days leading up to this KVS has been showing showing availabilities as fluctuating between W1 R1 E0 and W0 R0 E0. Upgrade waitlist expired on T-4days and I called MPO once per day since then with no avail. At T-52hr KVS showed W1 R1 E0 again. Called MPO and was able to get a seat for upgrade to PEY. Ticketing took ~2.5hr, in time for online check-in.

This again shows that CX tends to release award seats at very close to departure after waitlist has expired (the last time was T-40hr with same availabilities on KVS. See post #184). The whole flight was very full but I was still able to grab the seat with only W1 R1 E0 showing.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:03 pm

I am trying to plan early for Jfk - hkg for peak holiday season 20-30 December 2015 in business. I have the flights available in November now. I can take the Nov flights now or risk losing them and wait for December. When will they open up seats for December end? In past years have they blocked off award seats for end Dec?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
I am travelling LHR-HKG in a few days time using Avios. I checked the BA website every day for weeks. Eventually in early June I saw 1 CX F seat whilst nothing was available with BA. There does not appear to be any hard and fast rules with regards to release of seats by various carriers. I suggest if you see availability that gets you to where you want to go grab it before somebody else does!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:07 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Sean22mac
I am planning YVR-JFK-YVR in F with my SO for January 2016 using Avios. When I search using AA I often see 1 seat available in F but never 2.

Has anyone had any luck getting 2 F on the same flight?

Will I have better luck at 11 months out or closer to the travel date?

TIA
Sean22mac, it can be done. My best luck was within 7 days. I was not successful far out.

YVR-JFK-YVR (May 2014) I secured two F seats on the outbound, and 1 F, 1 Business on the inbound. Monitored the sites for availability and switched the business seat to first at about the 5 day mark.

It will work if you are willing to be flexible and move your travel dates to get F if needed.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold
is late Feb low season for HKG and CMB?

I would like to fly CX to Sri Lanka for a vacation in Feb. 2016. I wilI use AA miles for the seats. I am flexible and can go any date with a 2 week stay there. Will it be low season for flights to HKG and CMB after Chinese New Year? Will it be easier to get award seats from the US in J or F at that time of year?

What has the avaiability for flights HKG CMB HKG been? Is this a popular award ?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
"I" availability required for J booking?

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
There are sub-classes in J. I believe you need to see some I seats for there to be higher likelihood of awards being made avaiable.
I believe it also depends on the situation with Y and PE classes since overbooked passengers then get bumped up to J.
Can anyone confirm the above statement from upthread?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by HariOm
Can anyone confirm the above statement from upthread?
Cannot confirm, but it is a reasonable assumption. Availability of awards is in some part tied to the expectation that seat will fly empty if not filled by someone using an award. Overbooking Y or PE reduces chance that a seat will fly empty. Availability of a discounted business class seat for sale signals that more than a few seats are unsold in that cabin -- but is not necessarily a signal that one will become available as an award.

DAK
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a specific time of day/night (HKG or PST), when the CX IM system runs/releases seats?
TPAC U-class specifically in this case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.