Search

CX 845 JFK-HKG Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
CX 845 JFK-HKG Impressions

So just got to HK from CX 845.

The terminal was dead as this was the last flight or the first flight since it's 1:20am.

BA Terraces First Lounge is okay, very quiet and seems the same as the biz lounge however you can have meal before you board. I don't see the point as part of the appeal for F is the meal service on board.

Boarding was aweful. No announcment for F or J. People just lined up and the guy said have your boarding passes out for F and J.

Flight was great as usual for CX F.

It's a late flight so I ate dinner and watch 1 movie. Went to sleep until about 3 hours out and had breakfast. I know most have a plan to enjoy all the F service but part of the appeal is the bed. So comfortable.

If anyone has specific questions for this flight just ask and I will do my best to answer. Also going back on CX 840.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The past few times I've flown out of JFK on CX they had a separate line for F, J, MPC and OW elites so there wasn't much of a problem even if they didn't make an announcement; the agent just boarded that line before the Y line. Was that the case for you?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
The past few times I've flown out of JFK on CX they had a separate line for F, J, MPC and OW elites so there wasn't much of a problem even if they didn't make an announcement; the agent just boarded that line before the Y line. Was that the case for you?
Also had a separate line for F, J, MPC when I flew JFK-HKG last month
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
Nope not this time

It was all J passengers who lined up and no announcement for F first then J.

I took CX 841 last October and there was a separate announcement and boarding for F.

Who knows why it didn't happen this time.

Also HK Arrivals lounge is small but a great perk. Not much food but taking a shower to freshen up and having some coffee does make a difference once you get into HK since it's so Humid.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob AA Plat
The key is to hang out in the lounge and walk to the plane at the last minute, seeing how close the lounge is to the gate at JFK

I know what you mean regarding the bed-by far the best part of the flight!^
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by wireless_999
It was all J passengers who lined up and no announcement for F first then J.

I took CX 841 last October and there was a separate announcement and boarding for F.

Who knows why it didn't happen this time.

Also HK Arrivals lounge is small but a great perk. Not much food but taking a shower to freshen up and having some coffee does make a difference once you get into HK since it's so Humid.
I always wait for BA lounge agents to announce: "CX flight is ready for boarding" and by then it is usually a bit late as the lines are clearly formed and the F/J/MPC line mostly cleared. I've never waited in the gate area so not sure if they do make any announcement regarding F first then J.

However, I have noticed that at check-in, they only have one line and expects all premium pax to form on the same line. There's one sign that says First Class, Business Class, and MPC and has an arrow to that line. A few months ago a First Class pax tried to just stand behind the First Class Counter and there were 5 people in the line, and the agent asked him to get in line. He said he's first class but the agent insisted he get in line. He was clearly infuriated by the request, but kudos to him he didn't make a scene and got in line.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
He was clearly infuriated by the request, but kudos to him he didn't make a scene and got in line.
"Kudos"? Really?

I'd have been more impressed if he had replied, "I want to speak to the station manager. Now!"
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
CX usually doesn't separate by F/J/MPC when boarding priority pax, even at HKG, except on rare occasions when they pull F/DM/OW EM pax from the line and form a smaller line in front. It's usually a free for all. Not that big a deal anyways, since the F cabin is so small and there is plenty of space to stow luggage and time to get settled etc.

But I am surprised to hear about the lack of a dedicated F check-in. It has been there all the times I have flown out of JFK, so wonder what's up there. Then again, it's BA that handles CX check-in, so anything goes. My past experiences with the BA agents at check-in haven't been great, to say the least.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
But I am surprised to hear about the lack of a dedicated F check-in. It has been there all the times I have flown out of JFK, so wonder what's up there. Then again, it's BA that handles CX check-in, so anything goes. My past experiences with the BA agents at check-in haven't been great, to say the least.
There are three counters: First Class and two Business Class. However, the distinction ends there. It has always been only one line and like I said, the only time I saw someone trying to exercise their "First Class counter rights" he was rebuffed by the BA agent asking him to get in that one line. Also, I noticed there is a combined sign that points to that one line formation: First Class/Business Class/MPC
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by gates_2
The key is to hang out in the lounge and walk to the plane at the last minute, seeing how close the lounge is to the gate at JFK

I know what you mean regarding the bed-by far the best part of the flight!^
I've never flown CX but am usually the last passenger to board. Either I'm simply running late (95% of time) or shopping/lounging/watching people board until the last minute. Why would people want to board ahead of everyone else? For pre-flight drinks?
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:20 pm

The staff at JFK are great. I always take the night flight out of JFK (via YVR) and the same staff handles my check-in process. Wonderful staff. Sometimes check-in can be slow due to the fact that there problems with OLCi especially when I get an op-up and my OLCI gets screwed up. Other than that, very nice staff and gets me at the lounge quick since Terminal 7 is small which I like alot. As for boarding, I always get to the gate early. I want to get at the gate a few minutes before boarding to get settled in. I'm not that person who likes spending maximum time at the lounge and gets at the gate the very last minute. When I fly Y, I just hate it when I get to my window seat, and someone is already sitting in my seat. One of the reasons I signed up for MPC is for priority boarding so I get seated while everyone else is still boarding. Cheers
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by little bunny
Why would people want to board ahead of everyone else? For pre-flight drinks?
CX 845 leaves at 1:20 am. You'd probably not be running late for a flight due to leave at that time, there are no interesting shops open in the tiny T7 at JFK, and the lounges are deserted. Boarding before others means being able to avoid line-ups, being able to change into PJs before take-off, and enjoying getting settled-in with pre-flight munchies and drinks before taxiing out.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:07 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by maortega15
]When I fly Y, I just hate it when I get to my window seat, and someone is already sitting in my seat. One of the reasons I signed up for MPC is for priority boarding so I get seated while everyone else is still boarding. Cheers
Just tell that person to move. It happened to me before and I always demand my seat back
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JALPak
Just tell that person to move. It happened to me before and I always demand my seat back
yea sometimes some ppl cant read, and some just got it wrong... telling them to move would usually solve the trick, or tell a cabin crew
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:02 am

If it was someone younger, I would be happy to let them know that it was my seat they are sitting on. But I have encoutered the situation with the elderly. So in respect to them, I just did not bother to make them move. The good part was the aisle seat. I was able to get up every now and then without bothering the person next to me. Ever since signing up for MPC a few years ago, never had problems. Best 50 bucks spent!! Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.