Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Premium CX awards from HK to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum DL PLat, CO Gold,US Gold Avis Chairman, Centurion Amex

I have been trying to book premium award C or F seats without success from HK to Sydney the day they are "supposedly" released. I have been using the KVS tool and find lots of Y seats but no F or C on CX. I do see C and F seats on other CX routes , just not down under. Any suggestions or similar experiences? Does CX hold these for a later date or just make Y seats available as awards to Australia?
Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
For some routes CX holds high-demand seats and releases them upon request (usually that means you need MPC status and use Asiamiles; I'm guessing your are redeeming via AA). Closer to the date if there is soft demand then they will be released. This can vary from 6 months before travel date to the day before, so you need date flexibility. Alternatively, you could go HKG-SIN-SYD/MEL/BNE/PER or via BKK or NRT, these will have more availability on some flights.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Note also that CX does NOT offer First class to australia on any of its routes. Only biz and economy.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:39 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
CX did bring back F to AKL of all strange places and has seasonal F to JNB, so maybe SYD will get F again "any year now". MEL already does via QF MEL-HKG service, strange that SYD-HKG cannot sustain F, it has come and gone over the years.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
High demand in J due to the recent introduction of the 33Es with the New Business Class may have something to do with this.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:43 am

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Yeah I logged into Asiamiles and very difficult to get SYD-HKG-SYD in J reward. Need to be VERY flexible with dates. I think they mainly open up last minute which won't suit my holiday plans!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
J to SYD is just full, full, full; most flights even with the old config. So they will be reluctant to issue J awards. Much better chance from Cairns or Brisbane.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:01 am

Is the syd-hkg-syd ALWAYS on the new config?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: QP Silver; CX MPC Green; Virgin AusRed
Originally Posted by k3nnis
From now until 1 June, all CX100/101 services will have the new J product except Monday ex-HKG and Tuesday ex-SYD. From 6 June, all CX100/101 services will feature the new J product.

From 1 June, three CX110/111 services per week and two CX162/161 services per week will have the new J product (with CX110/111 going daily and CX162/161 increasing to four services per week from August 1st).
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: QF WP/LTS
I have booked redemption SYD-HKG-SYD in J a number of times in the past year with no real issue, though use QFF points, so not sure if that's the reason.

I generally book 4-10 weeks prior to the trip, and have noticed that at a point in that period CX seem to release a load of redemption seats. If you look around the time of that release choice of date and even flight is pretty good. I have done bookings for 2 pax as well which indicates the number of available seats.

The only time that I have never found seats is when you have a public holiday falling in school holidays - obviously a peak. But other than those times, as long as I've been reasonably flexible (say +/- 3 days) I've been fine, and generally been able to get my preferred day if not flight.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 5:47 pm

Thanks for the info. How about during end of december say 23rd christmas time?
Old Apr 7, 2011, 8:07 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Thanks for the info. How about during end of december say 23rd christmas time?
Originally Posted by asiaflyer
The only time that I have never found seats is when you have a public holiday falling in school holidays - obviously a peak. But other than those times, as long as I've been reasonably flexible (say +/- 3 days) I've been fine, and generally been able to get my preferred day if not flight.
Hmmmm.....
Old Apr 7, 2011, 10:11 pm

Thanks I guess I can't go during school holidays

Originally Posted by sxc
Hmmmm.....
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Why can't you look it up in the sticky?
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:01 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by brunos
J to SYD is just full, full, full; most flights even with the old config. So they will be reluctant to issue J awards. Much better chance from Cairns or Brisbane.
Parents and I "defected" to VS in protest: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...club-2.html#30

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.