Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Which route CX/KA should consider during 2010/2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which route CX/KA should consider during 2010/2011

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Correct!!! I think DFW would be a NO BRAINER for CX over ORD as there is a large OW flight connections to Mexico, Central and parts of South America, as well as serving the traffic to the "Southern States" in the US. Weather would not be a big factor in winter (even though it can snow in Dallas) and DFW has ample facitilites for CX to operate and not really hurts its JFK, YYZ or SFO capacities. You might see not as many connecting passengers for LAX as they might find DFW a better connection.^
Would there be any issues with range flying to DFW?
Old May 5, 2010, 3:06 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Earlier, I think on FT, there was some talk about a DFW-HKG flight. Well, the flight itself is 8,114 miles (13,058 km) while the range of the 77A is 7,930 nmi (14,685 km). However, the main factor is headwinds if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by fratboy
Other than that, I wonder why CX didn't step in after SK withdrew the CPH-HKG sector. Elsewhere, AUH and CAI, linked or separate, would be good and in line with their recent Middle East expansion
As much as I believe that a lot of Scandinavians are coming to HKG, I guess CX is just protecting the interests of AY - currently the only one serving Scandinavia-HKG nonstop. Meanwhile, HX is seeking approval for CAI and there are rumours that Egyptair will come back (there's quite a lot of demand for CAI, just look at the tours - all on SQ, but via SIN and DXB ).

Last edited by toyotaboy95; May 5, 2010 at 3:13 am
Old May 5, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: Marco Polo Silver
To those who are for CX operating to MAD/BCN for connections to South America, doesn't LAN Chile cover that region pretty well out of AKL already? Faster and better than Iberia I think.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by shakermaker
To those who are for CX operating to MAD/BCN for connections to South America, doesn't LAN Chile cover that region pretty well out of AKL already? Faster and better than Iberia I think.
Problem here is that it still takes me 2 connections out of HKG, first to AKL, then to SCL then on to my final destination.
I try to avoid using CX/AA as it requires me to clear customs in the US which can be a hassle, so a connection in MAD would be okay for me.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I would argue some increased frequencies might be more useful.

Flights for CX, perhaps an extension of the MXP or FCO flight to MAD - or pick another point to the east of MAD that will allow effective use of the plane. Or perhaps the extension of some of the YVR flights to MEX to serve those not wanting (or able) to get US visas.

With the additon of S7, IKT and OVB should be connected with HKG a couple of times a week by either KA or S7. Certainly would save the need for Chinese visa.

It would be nice if CX and QF would coordinate connections in SIN better than they do. Not much use to eastern OZ but DRW and PER (and maybe BME) could use some help if you prefer daytime flying. And where is late night connection SIN-HKG vv? Last flight leaves SIN at 1825.

I think the addition of Kingfisher will take care of the additional flights to the Indian sub-continent from HKG.

If you will look closely you will understand why I think AA needs to fly the ORD-HKG route and increase the CX code shares ex HKG to support it. eg no one code shares HKG-PER with AA. Alas ORD-HKG-PER is about 300 miles longer than ORD-NRT-PER

With the South American connections CX and LA and AA need to consider the flight times via LAX as the CX flight arrives an hour or so after the LA flight leaves for LIM; about the same time as the LA flight to SCL - And of course no direct OW flights to EZE. The MX connections via MEX add yet another connection.

Twist some arms and enable Air Pacific to become an OW affiliate and encourage a HKG-NAN-PPT flight to connect with LA to SCL.

Please wander through the speculations.

Fred
Old May 5, 2010, 6:54 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ryan_stoneworld
My suggestion : Honolulu (HNL)

Currently no direct service from HKG, you have to fly either via NRT, TPE or MNL, last time i was in HNL, I saw a lot of Chinese tourist (there were more Japanese though) and i think this is a very good potential leisure market for CX in the future, targeting people from mainland and even from neighboring ASEAN countries as well
^

CX doesn't do enough leisure destinations...
Old May 5, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: CO
[QUOTE=toyotaboy95;13902082]Earlier, I think on FT, there was some talk about a DFW-HKG flight. Well, the flight itself is 8,114 miles (13,058 km) while the range of the 77A is 7,930 nmi (14,685 km). However, the main factor is headwinds if I remember correctly.

I vote for a DFW service that continues to IAH! I know I'm dreaming, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Scott
Old May 5, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: Marco Polo Silver
Originally Posted by Mrtnw
Problem here is that it still takes me 2 connections out of HKG, first to AKL, then to SCL then on to my final destination.
I try to avoid using CX/AA as it requires me to clear customs in the US which can be a hassle, so a connection in MAD would be okay for me.
Then why not just offer a non-stop service to Santiago Pudahuel instead of BCN/MAD?
Old May 5, 2010, 10:49 am

Then why not just offer a non-stop service to Santiago Pudahuel instead of BCN/MAD?
HKG-SCL is like 10094 nautical miles...

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777..._hongkong.html

Last edited by Mrtnw; May 5, 2010 at 10:56 am
Old May 5, 2010, 11:17 am

Calgary (YYC). It's WestJet's largest hub (new partner, see below) and has a large East, Southeast and South Asian population.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1557361/
Old May 5, 2010, 11:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I think B787 would do the job. But CX have no plan for B787 yet. I wonder AA would do it using B787-900.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I would argue some increased frequencies might be more useful.

Flights for CX, perhaps an extension of the MXP or FCO flight to MAD - or pick another point to the east of MAD that will allow effective use of the plane. Or perhaps the extension of some of the YVR flights to MEX to serve those not wanting (or able) to get US visas.

With the additon of S7, IKT and OVB should be connected with HKG a couple of times a week by either KA or S7. Certainly would save the need for Chinese visa.

It would be nice if CX and QF would coordinate connections in SIN better than they do. Not much use to eastern OZ but DRW and PER (and maybe BME) could use some help if you prefer daytime flying. And where is late night connection SIN-HKG vv? Last flight leaves SIN at 1825.

I think the addition of Kingfisher will take care of the additional flights to the Indian sub-continent from HKG.

If you will look closely you will understand why I think AA needs to fly the ORD-HKG route and increase the CX code shares ex HKG to support it. eg no one code shares HKG-PER with AA. Alas ORD-HKG-PER is about 300 miles longer than ORD-NRT-PER

With the South American connections CX and LA and AA need to consider the flight times via LAX as the CX flight arrives an hour or so after the LA flight leaves for LIM; about the same time as the LA flight to SCL - And of course no direct OW flights to EZE. The MX connections via MEX add yet another connection.

Twist some arms and enable Air Pacific to become an OW affiliate and encourage a HKG-NAN-PPT flight to connect with LA to SCL.

Please wander through the speculations.

Fred
Hi Fred, nice post!

However with Qantas's ambition to grow JetStar. I doubt it will coordinate with CX in Singapore. It make sense in commercial terms. But the QF management is so proud of their high fare no service baby.

Air Pacific is nice addition. But it is really up to QF to recommend now.
Old May 6, 2010, 3:22 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Only the 77L (CX does not operate / has no plans of operating it) is capable of that distance, but basically no airline has exceeded the 9000 miles mark (fear of DVT on pax etc.) - similar discussion on flying the Kangaroo Route nonstop.
Old May 6, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Because on these super long operation, you burn fuel to carry fuel which is quite wasting, and for such long route, there are little cargo capacity remain which CX do make quite a bit of money from.

And, I wonder how heavy is the traffic from Asia to South America, also even if you need to do transit it only adds 1 to 2 hour (if correctly timed) to your 20+ flight hours.
Old May 7, 2010, 6:18 am

Personally, I think the following routes would be feasible;

- Hongqiao - although I am not sure if Chinese authorities will allow this, although it should be feasible with maybe 3 daily flights operated by KA
- Haneda - two daily flights to complement JAL (1x daylight, 1xovernight)
- Chicago - AA Hub that can allow for numerous connecting opportunities (a daily flight should work)
- Zurich - Financial Centre, and only competition is Swiss (daily flight to obviously compete with Swiss)
- Abu Dhabi/Doha - these two cities have held up much better than Dubai for example - maybe a triangle/joint operation could work and to capitalise on traffic to China/Japan/Korea.
- Possibly some more Africa destinations (Luanda once or twice a week anyone?) to capitalise on the growing mining relationship between China and Africa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.