Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HKG-LHR F VDB... what would you expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La

As far as I know, CX doesn't usually overbook its F cabin. However, a few days ago a colleague of mine was due to fly in F from HKG to LHR and the flight was overbooked in all 3 classes. Before I reveal the details of what he was offered (but did not take at the end), I would like to hear about your expectation in such circumstances. And indeed any similar experiences.

Info: he already done OLCI, is a local resident, would have needed to stay overnight for next morning/afternoon's flight (CX257/253) if he had taken up the offer.

His was a revenue ticket but how would your expectations differ if it was a redemption (upgrade or full redemption).
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Does your colleague have any sort of elite status? Had your colleague decided to take the offer though, wouldn't he/she be downgraded to a 34B (CX257) that has no F?

Having been a regular on this route for over 3 years now, I've only encountered this situation once (in Jan 08). I was flying F, and it was heavily overbooked in Y. They were asking people at the gate to take up the "appreciation pack" - lounge access, space available upgrade on next flight and additional baggage allowance. I'll assume they'll a little something more for F pax - cash? hotel?

I don't think fare class makes a difference here. I'm flying this route a couple of days later, it'd be interesting to see whether they'll let a DM to VDB.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
OK .. my wild guess as below

8K HKD good will (afteall F ticket is like 80K HKD)
1 x Nicer Hotel in town (Peninsula anyone?) + Private Car Connect
2 x confirmable upgrade Voucher
2 x First Class Longue Acceess Voucher
If non-elite, immediate upgrade to SL / GO
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:34 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I'm fairly sure that CX still does not overbook F, so the flight was overbooked in 2 classes, probably with DMPs bumped from J to F already (perhaps causing F to be "overbooked" based on expected no-shows). Since your friend did not take the offer, either it was not needed (there were enough "sold" F seats) or some other pax in F took it. Which means it was "generous enough" for market conditions. I have seen airlines sweeten the offer several times when faced with a lack of volunteers, so the first offer is definitely negotiable.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:48 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
8K HKD good will (afteall F ticket is like 80K HKD)
I am sure that whatever goodwill payment offered must be much more than this. Usually it is fare difference between full fare F and J fares, so probably more like HK$30-40K cash.

However that's just my guess. I've never been VDB before but a couple of years ago when I was boarding in HKG (also to LHR), I asked the check in agent if the flight was full, and she said it was so full that they are offering people approx HK$20K cash to downgrade from J to Y.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:38 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I've always wondered in the case of a voluntary downgrade....when they offer you cash at checkin to downgrade, are you also entitled to the difference between your ticket and the lower class of travel, or is the cash meant to cover this difference in fares?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:42 am
Original Member

The cash is meant to cover the difference in fares and the amount is independent of the actual fare or form of payment. Often other benefits accompany the cash, equivalent to the downgrade (e.g. future upgrade, or reroute in original class but on a different date). Stories exist of free network wide F ticket being offered as a sweetener, but these aren't too credible.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by midlevels
I am sure that whatever goodwill payment offered must be much more than this. Usually it is fare difference between full fare F and J fares, so probably more like HK$30-40K cash.

However that's just my guess. I've never been VDB before but a couple of years ago when I was boarding in HKG (also to LHR), I asked the check in agent if the flight was full, and she said it was so full that they are offering people approx HK$20K cash to downgrade from J to Y.
I think because it is VDB but not V downgrade, so it should not involve the F->J fare difference. the 8K HKD is basically for the VDB passenger have a nice dinner / some money to spend at night , which I think 8K HKD at the very max.

if it is V downgrade F -> J, I think CX may actually load him a F dinner + fare difference + all sort. but I think at the very beginning OP says its VDB so I did not think of it (though I think CX may very well do V downgrade for another F passenger and move the seat over the chain to Y, doing VDB or IDB there, it definitely cost them less)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
Originally Posted by kchika
Does your colleague have any sort of elite status?
Yes, he is BA gold and AC something.

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
I think because it is VDB but not V downgrade, so it should not involve the F->J fare difference. the 8K HKD is basically for the VDB passenger have a nice dinner / some money to spend at night , which I think 8K HKD at the very max.
Chris, you are absolutely right, because it did not involve a "downgrade" my colleague was not offered an upgrade voucher nor the fare difference between J and F. However, CX was nowhere as generous as your suggestions though...

HE WAS ONLY OFFERED HK$5,000 AND HIS TAXI FARE HOME!!! His professional charge out rate is more than HK$5k/hour so he didn't bother even thinking about it.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
My guess: the cabin the full of DMs and your colleague is "only" BA Gold.

Either way, it really is quite pathetic. My flight is currently showing zeros in all classes. I'll report back what is offered on my flight.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: UA,AA,CX,SWA
Originally Posted by kchika
My guess: the cabin the full of DMs and your colleague is "only" BA Gold.

Either way, it really is quite pathetic. My flight is currently showing zeros in all classes. I'll report back what is offered on my flight.
It is quite possible. CX will unlikely ask MPC members to accept voluntary denied boarding.

Last edited by fsklee; Jan 9, 2010 at 2:44 am Reason: Clarification - on term used.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by KO2546
HE WAS ONLY OFFERED HK$5,000 AND HIS TAXI FARE HOME!!! His professional charge out rate is more than HK$5k/hour so he didn't bother even thinking about it.
Well that's a shame ..... as he is traveling on revenue F I just guess it should be something nicer ....

Longue access and confirmable upgrade are basically free for Cathay for their operating cost .... (and especially when the passenger is in F, the upgrade coupon will be a nice one , the passenger already have longue access regardless. It might be a good deal for stealing business from BA and I wonder why CX not handing that out... )
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fsklee
It is quite possible. CX will unlikely ask MPC members to deboard.
Deboard ?????? do you mean disemabrk
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:47 am

Programs: UA,AA,CX,SWA
Originally Posted by drgarypoole
Deboard ?????? do you mean disemabrk
My apologies - "deboard" is confusing. I edited my post to clarify.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:47 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by KO2546
....HE WAS ONLY OFFERED HK$5,000 AND HIS TAXI FARE HOME!!! His professional charge out rate is more than HK$5k/hour so he didn't bother even thinking about it.
It seems the offer was sufficiently generous as he was able to travel in F as originally booked -- so some other pax accepted the offer to alleviate the presumed shortage of F seats. Maybe DMs got a better offer than BA Gold gets? This story would only be interesting if some pax were IDB'ed as a consequence of him not accepting the offer, but presumably that did not happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.