Wiki Posts
Search

CX to EK connecting in JFK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
CX to EK connecting in JFK

I have a friend who's looking to fly from YVR to JFK on CX (lands at 7am). From their she is connecting on EK to DXB (leaving at 10.40am). I know that she has to pick up bags and go through customs etc then transfer to T4 to catch the EK flight.

Does anyone know if CX will through check the bags from YVR to DXB, so they can just use the re-check luggage area in T7? Or will they have to take the bags to the EK check-in desk in T4? Obviously through checking is preferable since if there is some kind of delay they could miss the EK bag check time, but since it's different terminals I wasn't sure if it's possible.

Thanks!

Last edited by eyeballer; Oct 9, 2009 at 4:34 pm
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:54 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As this question actually pertains to CX's interline baggage agreements, we'll try moving it over there for advice.

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator
Old Oct 9, 2009, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by eyeballer
I have a friend who's looking to fly from YVR to JFK on CX (lands at 7am). From their she is connecting on EK to DXB (leaving at 10.40am). I know that she has to pick up bags and go through customs etc then transfer to T4 to catch the EK flight.

Does anyone know if CX will through check the bags from YVR to DXB, so they can just use the re-check luggage area in T7? Or will they have to take the bags to the EK check-in desk in T4? Obviously through checking is preferable since if there is some kind of delay they could miss the EK bag check time, but since it's different terminals I wasn't sure if it's possible.

Thanks!
All travelers coming into the USA on the FIRST stop need to check out their baggages, no exceptions. Then yes she needs to personally take them, get on the inter-terminal bus, and get herself to Terminal 4, and check-in.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:13 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
There are many other ways to get from YVR to DXB - BA via LHR, LH via FRA, and of course, CA via PEK and CX via HKG. Connecting & interlining at JFK is probably not the best choice.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
There are many other ways to get from YVR to DXB - BA via LHR, LH via FRA, and of course, CA via PEK and CX via HKG. Connecting & interlining at JFK is probably not the best choice.
I agree, however, logistically worked out the best for her and family. Four people flying from YVR, and then meeting another at JFK. DXB for a few days, then on to DEL for 2 weeks, DXB and back to JFK. With the separate Cathay flight (YVR-JFK-YVR), they are stopping in NYC for a few days on the way back too.

(Aside: The most cost effective was actually booked SEA-LHR-DEL RT on BA for $560, then adding a DEL-DXB-DEL side trip, but we all know what happened to that ticket!)
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:41 pm

Actually you'll only have to do the baggage harassment once when you come back. You preclear in Vancouver on your way out (yes, customs too).
Old Oct 10, 2009, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
All travelers coming into the USA on the FIRST stop need to check out their baggages, no exceptions. Then yes she needs to personally take them, get on the inter-terminal bus, and get herself to Terminal 4, and check-in.
I regularly fly HKG-JFK-BOS, CX 830 connecting to AA xxxx (Eagle). When I exit Customs at JFK I can recheck my bag immediately outside the Customs door (to the right, IIRC) if it was tagged to through BOS when I checked in at HKG, without carrying it to the AA terminal.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Actually you'll only have to do the baggage harassment once when you come back. You preclear in Vancouver on your way out (yes, customs too).
Unfortunately there's no pre-clearance for this CX flight as it's a transit flight originating in HKG, so everyone does immigration/customs in JFK.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 5:57 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I regularly fly HKG-JFK-BOS, CX 830 connecting to AA xxxx (Eagle). When I exit Customs at JFK I can recheck my bag immediately outside the Customs door (to the right, IIRC) if it was tagged to through BOS when I checked in at HKG, without carrying it to the AA terminal.
Thats because AA and CX are both OneWorld Members...Emirates are not, so no on-site Baggage Transfer Service, also Landside Transfer is now by AirTrain not Bus.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Thats because AA and CX are both OneWorld Members...Emirates are not, so no on-site Baggage Transfer Service, also Landside Transfer is now by AirTrain not Bus.
I don't think so. I believe that it was for all carriers, the same as the belt just on your left when you exit Customs at LAX TBIT. Their concern was only that it was already tagged to the next destination. If not, they wouldn't accept it, and you had to go to the proper terminal.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Right, I don't think the alliances matter. Since they are both large international airlines I assume they have interline agreements (is there a place to check this?). So the real question is, if they recheck bags in T7 arrivals area, will the bags make it over to T4?

Calling Cathay/Emirates really didn't help, one Emirates rep told me that there is a 3 hour cut-off for checking bags at JFK (not true, it's 1hr 45 mins).
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Hmmm... last time I did that no one was there and a very impatient Custom Agent told me to get the hell out and hand carry it to AA terminal.

But I don't do this often as JFK is my last stop, but like I say the one time I needed to connect to BOS myself there was no one there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.