FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2014842-asia-miles-expiration-time-coronavirus.html)

Airman Biggles Apr 1, 2020 4:44 am

Asia Miles expiration in time of Coronavirus

Has there been any provision to suspend miles expiry in view of the current situation? 96% of network cancelled, partner airlines similar or worse, and cannot even transit HKIA. As an Australian I can't even leave my country. Makes it hard to use expiring miles. I see many airlines are making provisions for status. Might be a nice gesture to convert all miles to no expiry as long as there is activity every 18 months.

Secondly, does anyone have some good contacts at CX we could make this suggestion to?

Cheers

garykung Apr 1, 2020 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Airman Biggles (Post 32253498)
Has there been any provision to suspend miles expiry in view of the current situation?

I would say the best you can do now is wait. Many airlines are working for a solution. Given CX has already extended status by giving out CP, I would say that would be next on the list.

Secondly, does anyone have some good contacts at CX we could make this suggestion to?

CX won't listen. So stop wasting your time there.

JordanWalker Apr 1, 2020 7:09 pm

Might be a nice gesture to convert all miles to no expiry as long as there is activity every 18 months.

I hope they do this too. I have a small amount of miles expiring October, the rest are all no-expiry AM's.

COME ON CX, WE KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING THIS BOARD.

Do the right thing!!

djsflynn Apr 1, 2020 8:36 pm

Has there been any provision to suspend miles expiry in view of the current situation?

Hey fellow Aussie, now locked down in this home that's girt by sea. We're actually chasing CX MPC PR for an update on extending status and miles expirations, will swing back and let you know what we hear.

garykung Apr 1, 2020 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by djsflynn (Post 32255923)
We're actually chasing CX MPC PR for an update on extending status...

It has been announced already:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ts-relief.html

djsflynn Apr 1, 2020 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 32256008)

That was the original Club Points plan which we covered, with a monthly allocation for February-March-April, I'm seeking out any updates to this.

percysmith Apr 1, 2020 11:36 pm

Makes it hard to use expiring miles. I see many airlines are making provisions for status. Might be a nice gesture to convert all miles to no expiry

(Don't shoot the messenger)

CX only profits from AM if they can convince suckers to convert credit card points to AM.

Existing AM is sunk cost to them, by ringfencing existing miles from new no-expiry miles you see how hard they work to make sure no additional value can be extracted from existing "sunk" AM.

Originally Posted by JordanWalker (Post 32255744)
the rest are all no-expiry AM's.

COME ON CX, WE KNOW YOU'RE WATCHING THIS BOARD.

Originally Posted by djsflynn (Post 32255923)
Hey fellow Aussie, now locked down in this home that's girt by sea. We're actually chasing CX MPC PR for an update on extending...miles expirations, will swing back and let you know what we hear.

I fear AM will come back with the tone-deaf response to explore their wide range of non-flight awards.

I currently don't have new hats to eat but have lots of paper cups from takeaways, I'll eat one of those if AM comes back with anything:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5d9630bbfa.png

djsflynn Apr 2, 2020 1:49 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32256198)
I fear AM will come back with the tone-deaf response to explore their wide range of non-flight awards.
I currently don't have new hats to eat but have lots of paper cups from takeaways, I'll eat one of those if AM comes back with anything:

Maybe so, but it never hurts for us to ask, and many’s the time I have landed a story with way, by not waiting for some press release to lob over the fence.

djsflynn Apr 2, 2020 1:52 am

CX MPC has indicated no change for now, although in terms of status extensions they are granting “discretionary extension to longstanding loyal members as a courtesy on a case-by-case basis.”

percysmith Apr 5, 2020 9:42 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn (Post 32256433)
Maybe so, but it never hurts for us to ask, and many’s the time I have landed a story with way, by not waiting for some press release to lob over the fence.

I've noticed these responses on CX's FB and AM's twitter. CX and AM social media normally tell people to DM when they've nothing to give.

percysmith Apr 6, 2020 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32266247)
I've noticed these responses on CX's FB and AM's twitter. CX and AM social media normally tell people to DM when they've nothing to give.

Notice they've been called out on FB, and they've made their stance more explicit:

https://www.facebook.com/asiamiles/p...26320307468548

‎HY Poon‎ to Asia Miles 亞洲萬里通
March 14 at 7:18 PM

Are you going to extend the expiry date of our miles going to get expired in recent months? Frankly speaking, I do not think anyone is going to redeem a flight ticket now or in near future as no one knows how’ll the Coronavirus situation go on.
Please don’t reply me by saying “we can consider redeeming other lifestyle rewards”. I believe mostly people use your miles to redeem for flight tickets.

HY Poon Asia Miles 亞洲萬里通

Don’t you think this is a question for the benefits of all members in your programme instead of mine personally? Why a private message but not making this clear and transparent to everyone?
Be time to market!! How you run a customer loyalty programme results in how customers maintain their loyalties to your brand.

Asia Miles 亞洲萬里通

Hi HY. Different members will be under different situations, what miles expiring policy members under, amount of expiring miles, expiring date, etc. We currently do not have a standard policy for this special situation but we'd review member's profile case by case and try to provide any alternative suitable to members. As it involves members' privacy to disclose the membership number, we recommend members to send private message and we'd further look into it. Thanks. -Pitt
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f876d819f6.png

JordanWalker Apr 10, 2020 1:55 am

In case anyone's wondering, this is the canned reply from Asia Miles after you DM your MPO#. Who knows, maybe DMs might get a different treatment :rolleyes:

Hi Jordan. As members can redeem award tickets 353 days in advance, you actually can try to redeem award tickets for next year; also we have offered a lot of lifestyle awards, so we have no plan to automatically extend the miles expiry date.

However, if you find that the Coronavirus is still stopping you to redeem award tickets before your miles expiry date, and you do not want to redeem any lifestyle awards, please contact us a week before the expiry date of your miles, we will review the situation and see what we can do for you. Thanks.

ernestnywang Apr 10, 2020 2:43 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker (Post 32280798)
In case anyone's wondering, this is the canned reply from Asia Miles after you DM your MPO#. Who knows, maybe DMs might get a different treatment :rolleyes:

I see there's a positive sign that they are at least willing to open the possibility of review. By the way, one could redeem up to 360 days in advance if using Choice or Tailored Award, so even the response from AM isn't quite accurate.

sparkj Apr 14, 2020 1:02 am

Could you make a fake booking in the near term (before May 31) where AM allows free refund/cancellation. Then just cancel, and your miles should be refunded with a refreshed expiry date.
I saw some bloggers mention similar things on FB but never looked into the details.

percysmith Apr 14, 2020 1:07 am

Originally Posted by sparkj (Post 32291406)
Could you make a fake booking in the near term (before May 31) where AM allows free refund/cancellation. Then just cancel, and your miles should be refunded with a refreshed expiry date.
I saw some bloggers mention similar things on FB but never looked into the details.

That's already a no https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32078082-post154.html