FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Cathay Pacific Special Meals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1890353-cathay-pacific-special-meals.html)

bart simpson Mar 11, 2018 10:07 am

Originally Posted by KathyMarie (Post 29510442)
Here are the low lactose meals I had from HKG to AKL in J last month.

The ex-HKG main course looks quite identical to LSML served on economy for HKG-LGW in October.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1384...3974126400544/

(photo not by me)

KathyMarie Mar 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by bart simpson (Post 29510982)
The ex-HKG main course looks quite identical to LSML served on economy for HKG-LGW in October.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1384...3974126400544/

(photo not by me)

It doesn't look the same to me - the main course was the fish, it looks like chicken in the FB post. Or did you meant the breakfast steak?

jckl Mar 11, 2018 2:55 pm

They are the same main courses, both are fish...

Let's make the conclusion that

JCL special meal = YCL special meal in ceramic + few more pieces of fruit

Hence if you want Business class food when flying economy, order special meals lol

Fly Me To The Moon Mar 12, 2018 8:23 am

I flew Business last week ex-HKG to Taipei and ordered a fruit platter for the breakfast course. The meal consisted of a few pieces of cut fruit (which is served as part of the normal J meal), and a whole apple and a whole banana. That was it.

Guy Betsy Mar 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 29354405)
Tried KSML (Kosher Meal) on TPE-HKG once in Y on a "refreshment" flight. It was horrible.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6f97debe07.jpg

Originally Posted by Kachjc (Post 29355259)
it does not look like CX cutlery?

looks revolting

This is totally uncalled for... Unless you are JEWISH, why on earth did you order a KSML? You think its going to be fresher than what you have?

KSML are all prepackaged and made at Kosher outlets. They are not prepared in the flight kitchens. Because the food and cutlery - everything cannot be cross contanimated with others. If there is meat , it cannot be mixed with dairy. The boxes come sealed, and the proper procedure is for the crew to bring it to the passenger who will break the seal themselves. Then the crew will bring the frozen meal back to the galley to heat up and then serve to you. Jewish passengers who order KSML are because they have strict religious dietary requirements that require this meal. I am sure they know what each container is, and no doubt it may seem horrible to you, it is somebody's meal that has been blessed by a Rabbi. You will be surprised to know that the meal in economy, business and First class are generally the same. It may be only in size that they differ.

To call it 'revolting' is really immature of you guys and making fun of someone else's religion. How would you like it if someone commented your special meal as vomit because they don't know what it is.

gpia May 4, 2018 4:31 am

CHML (Child Meal) ex-CEB. Got to eat it myself as the kid wasn't hungry and I ended up finishing the whole thing - it was that good. Thinking of trying a couple more child meals going forward and see what else they got :D Seriously much better than the usual "chicken with pasta" or "pork with rice". Even came with a chocolate milk that's cut off in the pic. Haven't had one of those in ages.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d97469a6be.jpg

CHML CX ex-CEB

CDKing Jun 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by gpia (Post 29714408)
CHML (Child Meal) ex-CEB. Got to eat it myself as the kid wasn't hungry and I ended up finishing the whole thing - it was that good. Thinking of trying a couple more child meals going forward and see what else they got :D Seriously much better than the usual "chicken with pasta" or "pork with rice". Even came with a chocolate milk that's cut off in the pic. Haven't had one of those in ages.

CHML CX ex-CEB

What is that chili? Looks really good, next time i do regional I'm ordering child :D. Its odd enough i get looks on Asian carriers when they see my Hindu Meal being a westerner let alone wrong age group.

Sorry a little late here but quite the difference in each direction of travel, maybe one was actually dragon air? All were CX operated but i think i saw Dragon lanyards on the return. Though I really didn't need a meal, i connected from same day CX F flight so time at the Wing F lounge prior to boarding. The return in PP lounge in TPE and had 3 bowls of Taiwanese beef noodle soup and all the desserts. I did special meal because i have seen and heard of m,any bad economy meals around the world. I have no dietary restrictions other than i dislike seafood. I'm not sure what i missed out.

Here is Hindu vegetarian May 2018 in Y HKG-TPE.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...905be02d48.jpg

Here is the return flight TPE-HKG in Y a few days later. Maybe it was difference in meal service as this set up was more what i expected in economy than the way over. I went with non-vegetarian version of Hindu meal to see the difference. Potatos, black beans and chicken

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ea21b96640.jpg

work2fly Jun 30, 2018 11:10 am

That 'chili' ex-CEB appears to be Filipino spaghetti, complete with processed white 'cheese' on top. All that appears to be missing are slices of unnaturally red hot dogs. My kids would have loved it!

gpia Jun 30, 2018 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 29923645)
That 'chili' ex-CEB appears to be Filipino spaghetti, complete with processed white 'cheese' on top. All that appears to be missing are slices of unnaturally red hot dogs. My kids would have loved it!

It was actually labelled “Spaghetti Bolognese”. And it really was delicious.

royng Sep 12, 2018 7:42 am

Will be flying HKG-SIN afternoon flight (3:20PM departure) in late September 18 and have the following options for SPML-

(1) Bland Meal
(2) Diabetic Meal
(3) Fruit Platter Meal
(4) Gluten Intolerant Meal
(5) Hindu Meal
(6) Kosher Meal
(7) Liquid Diet Meal
(8) Low Calorie Meal
(9) Low Fat Meal/ Low Cholesterol
(10) Low Lactose Meal
(11) Low Salt Meal
(12) Moslem Meal
(13) Non-Beef Meal
(14) Vegetarian Hindu Meal/ Indian Vegetarian
(15) Vegetarian Jain Meal/ Strict Indian Vegetarian
(16) Vegetarian Lacto-Ovo Meal
(17) Vegetarian Oriental Meal
(18) Vegetarian Raw Meal
(19) Vegetarian Vegan Meal

Let me know if you wonder how it looks like. I can take some photos and try it for you. (But won't try bland/liquid diet/fruit platter meals.)

gpia Sep 12, 2018 9:08 am

Originally Posted by royng (Post 30195547)
Will be flying HKG-SIN afternoon flight (3:20PM departure) in late September 18 and have the following options for SPML-

(1) Bland Meal
(2) Diabetic Meal
(3) Fruit Platter Meal
(4) Gluten Intolerant Meal
(5) Hindu Meal
(6) Kosher Meal
(7) Liquid Diet Meal
(8) Low Calorie Meal
(9) Low Fat Meal/ Low Cholesterol
(10) Low Lactose Meal
(11) Low Salt Meal
(12) Moslem Meal
(13) Non-Beef Meal
(14) Vegetarian Hindu Meal/ Indian Vegetarian
(15) Vegetarian Jain Meal/ Strict Indian Vegetarian
(16) Vegetarian Lacto-Ovo Meal
(17) Vegetarian Oriental Meal
(18) Vegetarian Raw Meal
(19) Vegetarian Vegan Meal

Let me know if you wonder how it looks like. I can take some photos and try it for you. (But won't try bland/liquid diet/fruit platter meals.)

Willing to call in and request CHML? Curious to see if possible (no chance yet), and if it’ll be as good as the ones I had upthread

royng Sep 12, 2018 10:09 am

Originally Posted by gpia (Post 30195869)

Willing to call in and request CHML? Curious to see if possible (no chance yet), and if it’ll be as good as the ones I had upthread

If I don't get other request I will try requesting child meal...but it's a single booking so don't know if call centre will let me request it.

royng Oct 1, 2018 9:56 am

Originally Posted by gpia (Post 30195869)

Originally Posted by royng (Post 30196113)
If I don't get other request I will try requesting child meal...but it's a single booking so don't know if call centre will let me request it.

Hi gpia, sorry got a request for Kosher meal so didn't request CHML...

My very brief review for KSML Kosher meal is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30266655-post6.html

synthkeys Oct 13, 2018 2:05 pm

I'm booked on CX865 JFK-YVR-HKG (formerly CX889) in J next week. I'm thinking about choosing Hindu (non-vegetarian) meal to mix it up a bit. I've heard that CX catering usually does a good job on that meal. However, with CX865 there's actually two dinner services, leaving JFK and leaving YVR. Is it possible to select special meal for just one of the flights? If not, is it appropriate to reject the special meal and ask for a standard meal instead? Most likely, I might just reject one of the meals anyway and have a mid-flight snack instead.

Has anyone had recent experience with the Hindu meal on LH out of the US?

clubeurope Oct 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by synthkeys (Post 30311909)
I'm booked on CX865 JFK-YVR-HKG (formerly CX889) in J next week. I'm thinking about choosing Hindu (non-vegetarian) meal to mix it up a bit. I've heard that CX catering usually does a good job on that meal. However, with CX865 there's actually two dinner services, leaving JFK and leaving YVR. Is it possible to select special meal for just one of the flights? If not, is it appropriate to reject the special meal and ask for a standard meal instead? Most likely, I might just reject one of the meals anyway and have a mid-flight snack instead.

Has anyone had recent experience with the Hindu meal on LH out of the US?

I don't think you can select the special meal for only one segment of the whole flight. I'm quite sure that the FAs will oblige to your request of having a standard meal in place of your special one, though it may not come to be especially charitable given it was loaded as your request.

FWIW, I've had the Hindu non-vegetarian meal out of HKG, and it was really bad, but then again, food from HKG doesn't always have the best reputation.