FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   [Meal times and] Transpacific service on CX on J (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1525121-meal-times-transpacific-service-cx-j.html)

varaujo2000 Apr 15, 2015 1:36 pm

So incredibly nervous about this after reading these posts. Booked my first int'l business class trip ever almost a year ago from ORD-HKG and departing in a few weeks. I'm nervous now that I will have to buy a bunch of food to bring on board. I wouldnt make it 7 or 8 hours if they run out of food and do mid-flight meal service.

G-CIVC Apr 15, 2015 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by varaujo2000 (Post 24670203)
So incredibly nervous about this after reading these posts. Booked my first int'l business class trip ever almost a year ago from ORD-HKG and departing in a few weeks. I'm nervous now that I will have to buy a bunch of food to bring on board. I wouldnt make it 7 or 8 hours if they run out of food and do mid-flight meal service.

Both HKG-ORD and ORD-HKG are fixed mid-flight meal service flights now I think

SeeBuyFly Apr 15, 2015 2:41 pm

Remember that while they don't advertise it, if you ask them (and insist if needed) at the beginning of the flight, they'll serve the 2nd meal at the end of the flight. However, you have to make your menu selections in advance.

SeeBuyFly Apr 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711 (Post 24669392)
Going out on a limb here, but any chance that CX could be "saving" or setting aside a certain quota of J snacks for status pax (DM, GO)? This doesn't only apply to flights with a mid-flight meal, could also apply to traditional mealtime flights.

Still pathetic .

varaujo2000 Apr 17, 2015 11:58 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 24670514)
Remember that while they don't advertise it, if you ask them (and insist if needed) at the beginning of the flight, they'll serve the 2nd meal at the end of the flight. However, you have to make your menu selections in advance.

Sure hope so. Even if I have to claim a medical condition spacing out meals I will.

QRC3288 Apr 17, 2015 10:59 pm

mate, there's no need to be "incredibly nervous" booking J class longhaul on CX. It's a fantastic product. Most of us who whinge about this and that fly on CX all. the. time. We - as in, myself included - are admittedly blowing first world problems way out of proportion here on FT :D. That doesn't damp our enthusiasm to criticize CX, but...just sayin'.

Yes, food is CX's weakest point in J, and the mid-flight meals are annoying. But when I say annoying, I mean I flew something like 20 CX long-hauls to/from North America last year. At that stage you're not enjoying the product anymore, and any little annoyance gets magnified. So.....there are worse things in life than a flat bed on a plane. Especially if you have never flown long-haul J class before. It's really a fantastic experience especially if you're used to long-haul Y class, just enjoy it.

Originally Posted by varaujo2000 (Post 24680244)
Sure hope so. Even if I have to claim a medical condition spacing out meals I will.

?!*?!?! what!!? really that's um, not necessary at all...and if you're serious, you could actually find yourself getting in trouble for pulling a stunt like that.

Hollinger Clarke Apr 18, 2015 8:46 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 24670360)
Both HKG-ORD and ORD-HKG are fixed mid-flight meal service flights now I think

Flew ORD HKG J in late Feb - first meal was heavy lunch, dinner served just before arrival. In between there were light meals (beef noodles, burger etc.). If, like me, you are accustomed to US airlines J food, the meals will seem like 1-2 Michelin starred restaurant service on CX :D

varaujo2000 Apr 18, 2015 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 24682710)
mate, there's no need to be "incredibly nervous" booking J class longhaul on CX. It's a fantastic product. Most of us who whinge about this and that fly on CX all. the. time. We - as in, myself included - are admittedly blowing first world problems way out of proportion here on FT :D. That doesn't damp our enthusiasm to criticize CX, but...just sayin'.

Yes, food is CX's weakest point in J, and the mid-flight meals are annoying. But when I say annoying, I mean I flew something like 20 CX long-hauls to/from North America last year. At that stage you're not enjoying the product anymore, and any little annoyance gets magnified. So.....there are worse things in life than a flat bed on a plane. Especially if you have never flown long-haul J class before. It's really a fantastic experience especially if you're used to long-haul Y class, just enjoy it.

?!*?!?! what!!? really that's um, not necessary at all...and if you're serious, you could actually find yourself getting in trouble for pulling a stunt like that.

Lol I was joking. I would just tell them I like my meals spaced out.

moondog Apr 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by varaujo2000 (Post 24684759)
Lol I was joking. I would just tell them I like my meals spaced out.

You can ask for ramen anytime you please, and even pair it with bread and./or salad, but the hot dishes are cooked in bulk according to the plan. As others have intimated, food is not a strong point in CX j, but you certainly won't starve.

ijgordon Apr 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 24684985)
You can ask for ramen anytime you please, and even pair it with bread and./or salad, but the hot dishes are cooked in bulk according to the plan. As others have intimated, food is not a strong point in CX j, but you certainly won't starve.

Well, if they do the 2nd meal mid-flight, and then you wait too long to order a snack (such that they run out or close down the galley before arrival), then you may actually starve. Not to death, though, most likely.

Originally Posted by Hollinger Clarke (Post 24683881)
Flew ORD HKG J in late Feb - first meal was heavy lunch, dinner served just before arrival. In between there were light meals (beef noodles, burger etc.). If, like me, you are accustomed to US airlines J food, the meals will seem like 1-2 Michelin starred restaurant service on CX :D

Well, I probably posted about this years ago in this thread, but I always thought Continental Airline's catering on EWR-HKG in J was vastly superior to CX. Closer to F in quality/quantity, without the caviar, Balik or Krug. Their meal service was always (1) huge lunch/dinner after takeoff, (2) substantial mid-flight snack, offered to the cabin at one time, but available on demand if you were sleeping, usually a big bowl of noodle soup and a desert, (3) pre-arrival hot breakfast.

Not sure what United has done with the catering since, but with CO it was great. That said, they only have one flight per day so it was probably easier to be consistent with the meal timings.

Guitarthur Apr 30, 2015 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 24682710)

Can we use this post as a standard disclaimer for flyertalk? We're conditioned to the level of service on [insert good airline here] and analyze the little stuff to death as a hobby. Yes, it's fun. Yes, we actually worry about these things. Yes, we exaggerate a little bit. No, we don't think Cathay has a terrible product because of their meal time.

Well said.

CommittedLurker May 1, 2015 8:33 am

CX 898
HKG-LAX
April 30 2015

I was asked shortly after take off when I wanted to take my first and second meals. This was something new for me.

I am a OW Emerald/AA Exec Plat (not DM).

Service was excellent on this flight.

SeeBuyFly May 1, 2015 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by CommittedLurker (Post 24749975)
CX 898
HKG-LAX
April 30 2015

I was asked shortly after take off when I wanted to take my first and second meals. This was something new for me.

Could you select any time, or were you offered specific options (e.g. after takeoff, midflight, before landing)?

In either case, this is great, but CX isn't consistent and a different crew might do it differently unless specific orders have come down from HQ.

hiima May 1, 2015 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 24752235)
Could you select any time, or were you offered specific options (e.g. after takeoff, midflight, before landing)?

In either case, this is great, but CX isn't consistent and a different crew might do it differently unless specific orders have come down from HQ.

I hope so, I have a flight lax hkg and back in a couple weeks.

CommittedLurker May 4, 2015 6:18 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 24752235)

I think this instance was more crew dependent. The purser (ISM ?) recognized me from previous trips, and maybe that is why she made the extra effort.

She did ask me if I wanted to sleep first, so it sounded like the first meal (lunch), could have been delayed by a few hours.

I let her know that I wanted my first meal immediately and the second one prior to arrival.

It was a nice gesture and seemed to indicate that some CX crews are aware of our complaints on mid flight meal service.