FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   OT : Another FA scandal - FA smoked and drank wine from the bottle in the galley? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/1365198-ot-another-fa-scandal-fa-smoked-drank-wine-bottle-galley.html)

JALPak Jul 10, 2012 5:03 pm

OT : Another FA scandal - FA smoked and drank wine from the bottle in the galley?

http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/a...20711/16503241

Yet another scandal reported by our favorite Apple Daily. The male CX FA appeared to be smoking and drinking wine straight from the bottle in the galley :eek:

CX says their internal regulation prohibits FA from drinking and smoking in the cabin and would investigate.

I wonder if this is actually in the cabin or that's a training cabin though...it's hard to believe he didn't get caught while smoking in the cabin.

kamiao Jul 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 18906011)
http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/a...20711/16503241

Yet another scandal reported by our favorite Apple Daily. The male CX FA appeared to be smoking and drinking wine straight from the bottle in the galley :eek:

CX says their internal regulation prohibits FA from drinking and smoking in the cabin and would investigate.

I wonder if this is actually in the cabin or that's a training cabin though...it's hard to believe he didn't get caught while smoking in the cabin.

Thanks for sharing - Apple Daily doesn't just hate CX, it hates HX/KA too.

kaka Jul 10, 2012 9:02 pm

in fact, they love them, for providing such info

FWIW, I dont think you can go totally undetected for smoking in the galley.

AA_EXP09 Jul 10, 2012 9:05 pm

If the FA were smoking I would notice.

chinatraderjmr Jul 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by kaka (Post 18907156)
in fact, they love them, for providing such info

FWIW, I dont think you can go totally undetected for smoking in the galley.

Sure you can. I've had FA's cover for me before on long flights when they have felt badly for me. Its rare and certainly not the rule but I've had FA's allow it on SQ/CX/MH and even once on very rules oriented LH. Of course they only allowed this on flights where I was in F and the cabin was fairly empty.

JALPak Jul 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by kamiao (Post 18907130)
Thanks for sharing - Apple Daily doesn't just hate CX, it hates HX/KA too.

So they hate all HKG based airlines LOL

CX HK Jul 10, 2012 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 18907391)

Just fulfilling the role of a media watchdog. ^ Apple Daily.

Not sure what kind of behavior you'll find on HX.

Short hair Francis Jul 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by CX HK (Post 18907479)
Just fulfilling the role of a media watchdog. ^ Apple Daily.

I agree and if the FA was stupid enough to take a photo of himself smoking and chugging wine while in uniform.
I'm sorry but he deserves to get canned :p

yohy?! Jul 11, 2012 12:27 am

doubt they were in the air, probably just horseplay on the ground, looks like an e-cig also not a joint.
http://hk.dv.nextmedia.com/actionnew...03241/16503586

ernestnywang Jul 11, 2012 12:53 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr (Post 18907186)
Sure you can. I've had FA's cover for me before on long flights when they have felt badly for me. Its rare and certainly not the rule but I've had FA's allow it on SQ/CX/MH and even once on very rules oriented LH. Of course they only allowed this on flights where I was in F and the cabin was fairly empty.

Are you saying that you have smoked in a FLT in the recent decade?

CX HK Jul 11, 2012 12:59 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 18907881)
Are you saying that you have smoked in a FLT in the recent decade?

... and what's with the "when they have felt badly for me" part? When a FA is too stressed out he sneaks to smoke a cig?

JALPak Jul 11, 2012 1:12 am

Originally Posted by yohy?! (Post 18907807)
doubt they were in the air, probably just horseplay on the ground, looks like an e-cig also not a joint.
http://hk.dv.nextmedia.com/actionnew...03241/16503586

In the wine drinking picture, you can see dirty trays in the galley. Assuming that's a real galley, do the FAs have their meals while the plane was on the ground during short turnaround if they don't have time for meals during the flight?

maortega15 Jul 11, 2012 1:57 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 18907940)
In the wine drinking picture, you can see dirty trays in the galley. Assuming that's a real galley, do the FAs have their meals while the plane was on the ground during short turnaround if they don't have time for meals during the flight?

On short hops.

JALPak Jul 11, 2012 2:19 am

Originally Posted by maortega15 (Post 18908056)
On short hops.

But wouldn't the galley be one of the busier places on the ground during a short layover? I assume they have to clean up, unload and load the meals, etc.

Just curious, is it against regulations to smoke while the plane is parked on the ground with doors open?

deadinabsentia Jul 11, 2012 2:25 am

I've seen a few take a swig of booze on CX and others.. but never smoking.. Can't believe that to be true.

maortega15 Jul 11, 2012 2:41 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 18908119)
But wouldn't the galley be one of the busier places on the ground during a short layover? I assume they have to clean up, unload and load the meals, etc.

Just curious, is it against regulations to smoke while the plane is parked on the ground with doors open?

I've only seen minimal activity in the galley during layovers. They just remove the used cart and replace it with a freshly replenished one. Doesn't take that long at all. Most of the activity usually happens in the cabin and washrooms during cleaning, and the cockpit where we get paperwork and such. Sometimes, the cabin crew will eat quickly after serving the passengers or sometimes they will eat once all passengers have disembarked upon arrival.

Of course! Smoking is not allowed at any time. Especially during refueling where a small accident can turn into something much much worse.

QRC3288 Jul 11, 2012 3:33 am

I wonder if this is related to CX clamping down on ISMs and SPs lately for stealing stuff when onboard flights. Apparently it's fairly standard for a lot of the crew to steal kleenex boxes, bottled water, wine, lotion, etc. I'm not just talking here or there, I know of some cabin crew who casually talk about the heaps of stuff they have at home, having taken them off CX flights. They just fill up their bags when on board. CX has known about it for a while, and apparently recently (last month is when I heard about it) is putting folks on board planes as undercover pax in efforts to catch the senior crew members doing it.

CX HK Jul 11, 2012 3:38 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 18908273)
I wonder if this is related to CX clamping down on ISMs and SPs lately for stealing stuff when onboard flights. Apparently it's fairly standard for a lot of the crew to steal kleenex boxes, bottled water, wine, lotion, etc. I'm not just talking here or there, I know of some cabin crew who casually talk about the heaps of stuff they have at home, having taken them off CX flights. They just fill up their bags when on board. CX has known about it for a while, and apparently recently (last month is when I heard about it) is putting folks on board planes as undercover pax in efforts to catch the senior crew members doing it.

Pretty interesting story but I can't figure out how this could possibly be related in any way? Drinking the wine now on-board now that they can't steal it back home or is this retaliation?

garykung Jul 11, 2012 5:12 am

Another Victoria Beckham case...

Next time - don't take a picture when you try to do something stupid...

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 18908273)
Apparently it's fairly standard for a lot of the crew to steal kleenex boxes, bottled water, wine, lotion, etc.

It is not a standalone case with CX. In fact, it happens in all airlines.

One classic example is a FA ate a banana from the F cabin and claimed that was crew meal instead of snacks (The bananas were in fact snacks from F)...

kamiao Jul 11, 2012 7:50 am

I somehow don't get personally offended by this case.

I know it's definitely inappropriate as it's against the guideline... however the feeling is different from the ones I had when learning the "sxxking scandal" and the "VB scandal" - maybe no obvious safety concerns involved in this case?

QRC3288 Jul 11, 2012 8:02 am

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 18908512)
It is not a standalone case with CX. In fact, it happens in all airlines.

One classic example is a FA ate a banana from the F cabin and claimed that was crew meal instead of snacks (The bananas were in fact snacks from F)...

That's not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about FAs taking 6 or 7 bottles of lotion, a few bottles of kleenex, and a bottle or two of wine from the galley and slipping them into their suitcase each time they fly. Apparently it's endemic at CX.

CX crew can actually eat pax food onboard (except caviar) if there are leftovers, they'll do it all the time right in front of you - if you've flown a bit on CX and have popped into the galley during an off time you will undoubtedly have noticed this. Frankly, however the food they're packed by CX (it's different from pax food) looks more appetizing than the pax food. It's usually more normal stuff like sandwiches. The banana thing you're talking about is nitpicking....what I'm talking about is pretty clear-cut theft, and my understanding is that there is now a concerted effort by CX to weed out the FA leadership who partake in it by trying to catch them in the act.

JALPak Jul 11, 2012 11:00 am

Originally Posted by kamiao (Post 18909265)
I somehow don't get personally offended by this case.

I know it's definitely inappropriate as it's against the guideline... however the feeling is different from the ones I had when learning the "sxxking scandal" and the "VB scandal" - maybe no obvious safety concerns involved in this case?

Depends on how much wine he drank and when did he smoke that cigarette. I definitely don't want a drunk FA during emergency or the plane to blow up with my luggages in it during refueling :p

AA_EXP09 Jul 11, 2012 11:24 am

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 18907391)

Similarly, CBC actually helps the AC unions with full coverage of every single strike.
They haven't said anything about the AI strike which is much worse...

adamak Jul 11, 2012 2:50 pm

I think the plane is on the ground. I can't imagine other FA won't stop/ report this kind of behavior, esp smoking. And don't they have smoke detector?

JALPak Jul 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by adamak (Post 18912151)
I think the plane is on the ground. I can't imagine other FA won't stop/ report this kind of behavior, esp smoking. And don't they have smoke detector?

Even on the ground, I can't believe others won't stop or report smoking.

kamiao Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 18912170)

Originally Posted by adamak (Post 18912151)

Even on the ground, I can't believe others won't stop or report smoking.

Maybe others are doing the same?

pogonation Jul 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Maybe it is an e-cigarette?.. If you look in the photo, the end of the cigarette isn't glowing/there is no ash like would be expected after someone taking a drag on a real cigarette.

iten Jul 11, 2012 8:31 pm

The guy was only pretending to smoke with a small piece of dry ice in his mouth. You can clearly see that the cigarette is not lit. He is still in big trouble because the company has previously issued serveral notices to staff that regarding taking pictures in uniform...

As for taking stuff off flights, they still do it everyday...CX rarely checks them unless someone within the crew file a report at landing as sa revenge to another crew member...They still take all kind of stuff except for wine now as empty bottles has to be return to catering for "recycling to protect the environment." As for caviar, there is a reason why pursers newly trained for first class would gain a significant amount of weight....

Cathay Boy Jul 11, 2012 8:32 pm

More than once I have overheard FAs talking to each other what types of food to saved for themselves before they serve for the meals. Once I overheard they saved "a bunch" of congees for themselves, and when it is my turn (in J) they told me no more congee. I told them it's too bad and I would just like to tell the ISM about it and suggesting to her to tell CX to stock more congee because most pax like it, immediately the FA told me "oh, let me double check for you..." and came back with a plate of congee. Apparently she is afraid that the ISM will go check and find a few plates of congees they have saved for themselves (my guess).

So yes, I can see why CX is cracking down on FA abusing food/drink rules on board the flight. It also gives the airline less incentive to stock really good wines when it is the staff that drinks most of it.

CX HK Jul 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy (Post 18913889)
More than once I have overheard FAs talking to each other what types of food to saved for themselves before they serve for the meals. Once I overheard they saved "a bunch" of congees for themselves, and when it is my turn (in J) they told me no more congee. I told them it's too bad and I would just like to tell the ISM about it and suggesting to her to tell CX to stock more congee because most pax like it, immediately the FA told me "oh, let me double check for you..." and came back with a plate of congee. Apparently she is afraid that the ISM will go check and find a few plates of congees they have saved for themselves (my guess).

So yes, I can see why CX is cracking down on FA abusing food/drink rules on board the flight. It also gives the airline less incentive to stock really good wines when it is the staff that drinks most of it.

While I'm fine with FA's eating pax food, hiding it from pax and saving it for themselves is not OK...

QRC3288 Jul 12, 2012 12:01 am

Originally Posted by CX HK (Post 18913906)
While I'm fine with FA's eating pax food, hiding it from pax and saving it for themselves is not OK...

They do that all the time as well, particularly with the Chinese mains as CB talks about at breakfast time. I haven't been affected, however as a DM, but I might be pissed if I didn't have status. A few things to consider:

a.) Breakfast is hands-down the best meal CX does in long-haul J (IMO). There are so many different filling choices to choose from it's actually appetizing. Breads (usually including bagels, which although aren't great it's a nice touch, especially since they heat them), various cereals, yogurt, fruit and high-quality juice/smoothies for an airplane (usually Odwalla for ex-USA flights, and fresh squeezed OJ ex-HKG) all come BEFORE the main course, which usually includes two Chinese options (usually a dim sum variant and congee), and a western one. I usually find myself so stuffed from the fruit, breads, cereals and yogurt that I don't even take the main course. You could probably put down a 1200+ calorie breakfast meal with CX if you ate everything they offered. I cannot stand CX's food in J for lunch/dinner, but I find myself usually satisfied for breakfast because there is just so much.

b.) If you're a DM, I usually find FAs are able to scrounge up what you're looking for...maybe because they hold back a few for themselves. So ironically, them saving stuff for themselves tends to benefit DMs, because I cannot recall once where I've been denied the meal I wanted, even after they're "out".

daniellam Jul 12, 2012 9:51 am

I remember flying JFK-YVR-HKG in F.

When the plane landed in YVR for a crew change, I heard one of the flight attendants say in Cantonese "remember to take the cheese cake".

I was the only passenger on the JFK-YVR leg and remember only having had one piece of cheese cake for dessert.

kamiao Jul 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 18916821)

I remember flying JFK-YVR-HKG in F.

When the plane landed in YVR for a crew change, I heard one of the flight attendants say in Cantonese "remember to take the cheese cake".

I was the only passenger on the JFK-YVR leg and remember only having had one piece of cheese cake for dessert.

That means they just took your leftover with them. I find it OK though. You can imagine maybe each of them took a few pieces as they are no longer wanted. It's certainly not appropriate to use those leftover cheesecake to serve the next flight.

If they keep it away from you and never give you what you are entitled, then that's not ok. It's interesting to wonder what they would do if you say you want all the leftovers.

Carfield Jul 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Leftover

I honestly have no issues with F/As taking home the leftover food or eating passengers' food, after all passengers have selected their meals and completed their meal services. As long as passengers receiving their choices regardless of status or opup, the F/As can eat as much as they want, and take them home.

As we all know, most of the food can't really be recycle so most airlines throw them away. In the US, all leftover food are burnt and can't be recycled. I have a feeling that Australia and New Zealand are strict with leftover food too. So if F/As can consume it, let them do it. For first class passengers, please always remember to ask the F/A save your entree selection or other items, if you decide to do your meals outside of the planned periods.

About other amenities and toiletries, I honestly don't care much. As long as no passenger is affected, that is fine with me. It is really hard to keep track as some passengers also take those amenities home especially on some routes. I think it is a waste of money to put undercovers to track these activities. The money can be best spent otherwise. I feel that it is CX attempt to start a new array of union-busting activities especially the senior crew. As a passenger, the junior crews are very lacking at this moment, and CX needs to try to maintain these senior crews to up keep their service, rather than trying to find ways to let go of them.

Anyway, CX F/As should know better on what to post and what not to post on your facebook pages. Let be frank! Facebook and twitters and other social media outlets are not really private and please use common sense. If you want funny pictures, do something more innocent. I personally have no issues with the Victoria Beckham incident because I am sure the plane is already in the ground or during mid-flight. If VB sits there for landing, I think that is a major safety violation, but for an mid-flight gag picture, that is acceptable and it is fun. VB at least looks and acts more like a real person.

Carfield

kamiao Jul 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Carfield (Post 18920157)

Anyway, CX F/As should know better on what to post and what not to post on your facebook pages. Let be frank! Facebook and twitters and other social media outlets are not really private and please use common sense. If you want funny pictures, do something more innocent. I personally have no issues with the Victoria Beckham incident because I am sure the plane is already in the ground or during mid-flight. If VB sits there for landing, I think that is a major safety violation, but for an mid-flight gag picture, that is acceptable and it is fun. VB at least looks and acts more like a real person.

Carfield

I think you have a misunderstanding here. The CX FA didn't post the pics to any social media. He WhatsApp messengered the pics to his friends. His friends then spread it to other ppl then someone send them to Apple Daily.

JALPak Jul 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by kamiao (Post 18920421)
I think you have a misunderstanding here. The CX FA didn't post the pics to any social media. He WhatsApp messengered the pics to his friends. His friends then spread it to other ppl then someone send them to Apple Daily.

Not sure if he originally sent the pics through whatsapp but the pics were spreading through whatsapp for sure.

Guy Betsy Jul 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak (Post 18920823)
Not sure if he originally sent the pics through whatsapp but the pics were spreading through whatsapp for sure.

You can be sure that a CX memorandum would be handled down from management that any employee caught (like this one) who sends inappropriate photos around will be suspended..

I'm sure the FA in question - whether he did so innocently or not, will have actioned taken..

Tedgrrrr Jul 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 18909325)
That's not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about FAs taking 6 or 7 bottles of lotion, a few bottles of kleenex, and a bottle or two of wine from the galley and slipping them into their suitcase each time they fly. Apparently it's endemic at CX.

Couldn't they get all that loot from hotels with less risk? couple rolls of toilet paper, and a box of kleenex each stay? :p

kamiao Jul 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr (Post 18921168)
Couldn't they get all that loot from hotels with less risk? couple rolls of toilet paper, and a box of kleenex each stay? :p

Oh you bet! Psychologically speaking, people with this type of mind will take away things from everywhere... including salt and pepper bags from McDonalds.

yohy?! Jul 12, 2012 11:51 pm

id take all the toiletries (and everything else not nailed down) if i was CX cabin crew being paid 15k a month :)