Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay's LAX Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Cathay's LAX Lounge

As part of a rtw trip, i will either be travelling in business or first class. I intended to depart from LAX enroute to HKG. However, from all the reviews I have found, the lounge at LAX is practically nothing. If it is truly a waste of time as many have said, I may opt to depart from SFO instead understanding that cathay uses JAL's Sakura lounge at SFO. It's easy enough to depart from SFO rather than LAX as it would not be a huge hassle. Any suggestions please.

Cheers

BT87
Old Apr 22, 2005, 11:17 pm

LAX certainly has the worst of the CX lounges that I have visited. For starters, it is way too small for the number of Business and First passengers that need to be accommodated. There are no showers, no bathrooms and no internet terminals. It has self-serve complimentary drinks, sandwiches, packaged snacks and sometimes fruit, so it is better than waiting in the terminal, but that's about the best I can say for it.

The First Class section is truly a joke. It has smoked glass doors that open automatically as you approach to reveal (drum roll please) ....
a very plain room that is about 10' x 12' with a dozen wing back chairs crammed in so tightly that the armrests touch each other, a coffee table and a TV. That's it.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 12:57 am

both lounges at LAX and SFO are a 'waste of time'

the First Class section at the SFO lounge is about the same size as the one at LAX, but at LAX you have the option to use the AF lounge.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I'd rather have drinks and appetizers at Encounter than waste my time at any of the TBIT oneWorld lounges these days.

Hopefully, they can remedy this sometime in the future.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by BT87
As part of a rtw trip, i will either be travelling in business or first class. I intended to depart from LAX enroute to HKG. However, from all the reviews I have found, the lounge at LAX is practically nothing. If it is truly a waste of time as many have said, I may opt to depart from SFO instead understanding that cathay uses JAL's Sakura lounge at SFO. It's easy enough to depart from SFO rather than LAX as it would not be a huge hassle. Any suggestions please.

Cheers

BT87

You didn't say how you will get to LAX, but if you are coming in on AA, you will have access to the very nice Flagship Lounge in terminal 4 before you walk over to TBIT. Just remember to give yourself about 1 hour to head over to TBIT. I've done it in less time than that but you never know how busy security lines may be, although CX F passengers may get walked pass the lines by TAs if they ask. Still an hour is just right. If security is not a problem, you will have a chance to checkout the fabulous NOT OW lounges for one more drink.

I agree with the others, one drink is fine, but any more than that is a total waste of your time.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Hi Andrezj,

Can one access the Flagship lounge even if he is continuing in CX on J? Or is the access limited to F pax only?

Thanks,

Panjabi
Old Apr 24, 2005, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by panjabi
Hi Andrezj,

Can one access the Flagship lounge even if he is continuing in CX on J? Or is the access limited to F pax only?

Thanks,

Panjabi
No access to J passengers, unless you have OneWorld Emerald status. The AC (right next to the FL) in LAX is also very nice, roomy, high speed internet, nice showers. It would still be preferable to any OW F or J lounges in TBIT. The AC does charge for drinks, but in your case you may get 1 or 2 free drink coupons. Not sure about that.
Old May 4, 2005, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by dogcanyon
LAX certainly has the worst of the CX lounges that I have visited. For starters, it is way too small for the number of Business and First passengers that need to be accommodated. There are no showers, no bathrooms and no internet terminals. It has self-serve complimentary drinks, sandwiches, packaged snacks and sometimes fruit, so it is better than waiting in the terminal, but that's about the best I can say for it.

The First Class section is truly a joke. It has smoked glass doors that open automatically as you approach to reveal (drum roll please) ....
a very plain room that is about 10' x 12' with a dozen wing back chairs crammed in so tightly that the armrests touch each other, a coffee table and a TV. That's it.
CX F passengers can also use the Air France F lounge down the hall. It has more space and better drinks but less snacks than the CX lounge. Just ask the attendant and she will show you where to go. The Air France lounge also has better chocolate at the reception desk.
Old May 4, 2005, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Originally Posted by AH-64D
CX F passengers can also use the Air France F lounge down the hall. It has more space and better drinks but less snacks than the CX lounge. Just ask the attendant and she will show you where to go. The Air France lounge also has better chocolate at the reception desk.
Sorry, according to Cathaytalk, the AF lounge is now closed @ TBIT as they have moved terminals!
Old May 4, 2005, 6:57 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by newcx12345
Sorry, according to Cathaytalk, the AF lounge is now closed @ TBIT as they have moved terminals!
The ex-AF lounge only became available for CX to use because AF moved from TBIT to T5 (to be with DL, its Skyteam partner who has very nice customs facilities at T5). CX did not use the AF lounge while AF was operating out of TBIT. It's possible that CX has lost the use of the lounge now, or it may be closed temporarily, but it has nothing to do with AF leaving TBIT. I've managed to avoid flying CX via LAX for all of this year, but the SFO lounge is no better and the JFK lounge (BA) while being much better than TBIT is worse than LHR for example. Haven't seen the new YVR lounge, that is supposed to be quite nice, so maybe those who want the lounge experience need to go via YVR. I've been trying to reduce my lounge time this year, with mixed success.
Old May 4, 2005, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by newcx12345
I don't know when your 'now' is referring to but oneworld emerald members were asked to go to the AF lounge all the way down the corridor, left, left, right -- i think -- on May 1.
Old May 4, 2005, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Chiangi
I don't know when your 'now' is referring to but oneworld emerald members were asked to go to the AF lounge all the way down the corridor, left, left, right -- i think -- on May 1.
I used the AF lounge on 28th April 2005 while flying CX. I am going to fly CX again in July and I will report back.
Old May 4, 2005, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by AH-64D
I used the AF lounge on 28th April 2005 while flying CX. I am going to fly CX again in July and I will report back.
when i flew cx last sep. i was told that the AF lounge was only open for the earlier flight and i was on the 155 am flight
Old May 7, 2005, 9:09 am

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
LAX is the worst!

Originally Posted by BT87

Cheers

BT87
LAX Cathay Pacific Lounges are the worst I have ever seen...I flew Cathay Pacific last friday night - First Class to HKG - (re-booked from NW) and I was surprised and wondered why one would want to take the time to even try to find the location of the lounges. Indeed, a waste of time....and LAX needs to modernize its Intl Terminal and lounges if they wish to attract the Business and First Class passenger. The flight was great - wonderful service onboard - but the pre-flight lounges were very sad!

TravelerJim
Old May 7, 2005, 7:54 pm

If you think Cathay's lounges are bad at LAX, you really don't want to see Malaysian's lounge at LAX!

Last edited by diana; May 7, 2005 at 10:07 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.