Search

CX888/9 and CX838/7 Cabin Crew Base?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 11:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

CX888/9 and CX838/7 Cabin Crew Base?

Hi,

I read that many of you dislike the cabins crews based out of YVR and their services.

On a 777-300 flight, there is between 13 to 14 cabin crew members. Is CX837/838/888/889 all operated by YVR crews? Or is it half from HKG, half from YVR? Or is it a random mix?

Old May 27, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by PradoC
Is CX837/838/888/889 all operated by YVR crews? Or is it half from HKG, half from YVR? Or is it a random mix?

CX837/838: Unsure

CX888/889: Depends, can be both HKG and YVR crews. I know for some of the more ambitious HK-based crew, the 888/889 pattern is sought after as it is the longest pattern - and thus most flying hours, and most ground allowance - in the system, I believe 7 days inclusive (versus 5 days inclusive for the other JFK flights). I know that, contrary to some of the posts I've seen on here, any one sector on 888/889 could be rostered by an entirely HKG-based crew, including the YVR-JFK-YVR sectors. Unfortunately I am not privy to which days of the week (or what other method is used) are given to HKG crews vs. YVR crews vs mixed crews.

One thing is likely, if a HKG-based crew goes sick or has an issue in YVR or JFK during the pattern it is almost certain to be a YVR or JFK stand-by who replaces them.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Quote:

Is CX837/838/888/889 all operated by YVR crews? Or is it half from HKG, half from YVR? Or is it a random mix?

CX837/838: Unsure

CX888/889: Depends, can be both HKG and YVR crews. I know for some of the more ambitious HK-based crew, the 888/889 pattern is sought after as it is the longest pattern - and thus most flying hours, and most ground allowance - in the system, I believe 7 days inclusive (versus 5 days inclusive for the other JFK flights). I know that, contrary to some of the posts I've seen on here, any one sector on 888/889 could be rostered by an entirely HKG-based crew, including the YVR-JFK-YVR sectors. Unfortunately I am not privy to which days of the week (or what other method is used) are given to HKG crews vs. YVR crews vs mixed crews.

One thing is likely, if a HKG-based crew goes sick or has an issue in YVR or JFK during the pattern it is almost certain to be a YVR or JFK stand-by who replaces them.
I just got back to JFK from CX888. So I can chime in a little.

CX837/CX838 - Must have YVR.

CX887/CX888 - Mixed of YVRs and HKGs. On Tuesday May 26, the HKG-YVR crew was YVR-based. The YVR-JFK crew for the continuous segment was definitely HKG-based. All HKG-based crew stays in YVR for two days before they head to JFK. Obviously, they can be scheduled to fly to HKG nonstop or with a stop again at YVR.

I spoke to both sets of crew in the flight. YVR-based crew are specifically scheduled for YVR HKG segments, I asked them and they clearly said they never did any other segments than YVR-HKG. Crew-outs, sick-leave could all happen to pull them to the other routes. So I would say CX837/CX838 were also assigned for most YVR-crews. There should be some HKG-based working on YVR-segments because they are required to fly all the routes in three years.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010

Would be interesting to know what's the ratio.

CX887/CX888 - Mixed of YVRs and HKGs. On Tuesday May 26, the HKG-YVR crew was YVR-based. The YVR-JFK crew for the continuous segment was definitely HKG-based. All HKG-based crew stays in YVR for two days before they head to JFK. Obviously, they can be scheduled to fly to HKG nonstop or with a stop again at YVR.
I wonder if all HKG base do HKG-YVR-rest-JFK-HKG?
Or a variation of some doing HKG-YVR-rest-HKG?

I spoke to both sets of crew in the flight. YVR-based crew are specifically scheduled for YVR HKG segments, I asked them and they clearly said they never did any other segments than YVR-HKG. Crew-outs, sick-leave could all happen to pull them to the other routes.
Not true. YVR-base fly both YVR-HKG, and YVR-JFK return.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:45 am

There should be some HKG-based working on YVR-segments because they are required to fly all the routes in three years.

You mean every CX crew needs to fly every route of CX within 3 years? thats interesting to know about
Old May 27, 2015, 5:31 am

Quote:

Would be interesting to know what's the ratio.

Quote:

I wonder if all HKG base do HKG-YVR-rest-JFK-HKG?
Or a variation of some doing HKG-YVR-rest-HKG?

Quote:

I spoke to both sets of crew in the flight. YVR-based crew are specifically scheduled for YVR HKG segments, I asked them and they clearly said they never did any other segments than YVR-HKG. Crew-outs, sick-leave could all happen to pull them to the other routes.

Not true. YVR-base fly both YVR-HKG, and YVR-JFK return.
I think it's the matter of comprehension and the seniority of the crews. When I asked him if he flew any other routes, he said no, just to the YVR. I took that as he only flies to YVR. Well, that could also mean YVR-JFK too but he didn't clarify that. Or, he's very senior serving only F so he could pick any routes he wanted?

Whatever that is, I will take that as a part of the story, since a 20- year old FAswill def have different schedules versus the senior ones.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:58 am

There should be some HKG-based working on YVR-segments because they are required to fly all the routes in three years.
Mate, I know enough to say quite confidently this statement is incorrect. Crew most certainy do not have to fly every route every three years, or ever.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:04 am

I think it's the matter of comprehension and the seniority of the crews. ...

Whatever that is, I will take that as a part of the story, since a 20- year old FAswill def have different schedules versus the senior ones.
Yikes. A lot of misconceptions here.

Long story short, routes are not based on seniority. they are based on port, flight needs / restrictions (aka, certain language capabilities are requires on some flights, while other FAs can't legally fly to Russia, mainland China, etc.), and some minor differences in pay types (hourly vs salaried).

The most restricted crews will be the outports.

Crews - senior down to the most junior BC - get their schedule midmonth the month prior. Then, they can swap with other crew via the company system provided the swap is approved by CX. This is not like America where senior crews are all bidding on / flying to Honolulu for 3 days of fun on the sun while junior crews are stuck doing redeyes back and forth to Fresno and Phoenix.

Lastly, referring to above, crew do not have to visit every port every 3 years. This isn't correct. It not only violates common sense, it also would violate heaps of contract restrictions that disallow certain nationality of CX flight attendants to fly to certain countries.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:32 am

Quote:

I think it's the matter of comprehension and the seniority of the crews. ...

Yikes. A lot of misconceptions here.

Long story short, routes are not based on seniority. they are based on port, flight needs / restrictions (aka, certain language capabilities are requires on some flights, while other FAs can't legally fly to Russia, mainland China, etc.), and some minor differences in pay types (hourly vs salaried).

The most restricted crews will be the outports.

Crews - senior down to the most junior BC - get their schedule midmonth the month prior. Then, they can swap with other crew via the company system provided the swap is approved by CX. This is not like America where senior crews are all bidding on / flying to Honolulu for 3 days of fun on the sun while junior crews are stuck doing redeyes back and forth to Fresno and Phoenix.

Lastly, referring to above, crew do not have to visit every port every 3 years. This isn't correct. It not only violates common sense, it also would violate heaps of contract restrictions that disallow certain nationality of CX flight attendants to fly to certain countries.
With all due respect, I just talked to my FA friend regarding whether the 3-year requirement was true. He said its fact, not truth. However, later on he explained that each year FAs have to satisfy the geographical requirements. So every year they may have 5NA, 3Europe, and etc. I guess their perception is that over three years, you basically serve all of the routes coz there are not too many routes in a specific region, and in the case of some young FAs like my friend, he may choose to go other routes within the same region. It's funny that the F FA in the YVR-JFK flight and my FA friend think about the same thing.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; May 27, 2015 at 9:21 am
Old May 27, 2015, 7:48 am

With all due respect, I just talked to my FA friend regarding whether the 3-year requiremen was true. He said its fact, not truth.
Mate I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Like you, my information is also directly from CX staff.

And disregarding what our friends have told us, if you are familiar with the swapping / sick policies (and endless habits of FAs to abuse it) / part time / standby / etc other policies, I think you would come to the logical conclusion - regardless of what you have been told - it is simply impossible to get x number of NA, Europe, Oz etc flights each year.

But ignoring the logic of it, I guess we just have differing info from different sources.

I also will add, that CX hires staff from many places. Some of them legally are not allowed to fly to the ports I mention above. A certain narionality of staff, for example, are explicitly prohibited from flying PVG and PEK, until they get PR. Others are prohibited from DME. Local union contracts prohibit outport crews from flying numerous routes. There are other restrictions. I am pretty confident those CX employees who frequent this board will conur with these statements.

Regardless no offense taken, and I dont mean any either.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:33 am

Mate I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Like you, my information is also directly from CX staff.

And disregarding what our friends have told us, if you are familiar with the swapping / sick policies (and endless habits of FAs to abuse it) / part time / standby / etc other policies, I think you would come to the logical conclusion - regardless of what you have been told - it is simply impossible to get x number of NA, Europe, Oz etc flights each year.

But ignoring the logic of it, I guess we just have differing info from different sources.

I also will add, that CX hires staff from many places. Some of them legally are not allowed to fly to the ports I mention above. A certain narionality of staff, for example, are explicitly prohibited from flying PVG and PEK, until they get PR. Others are prohibited from DME. Local union contracts prohibit outport crews from flying numerous routes. There are other restrictions. I am pretty confident those CX employees who frequent this board will conur with these statements.

Regardless no offense taken, and I dont mean any either.
Sure, no problem! We are all the students in the sky. I must say you are right in terms of getting assigned with the schedule every month. I also get what you meant by visa restrictions. May I ask what ethnicity your FA friend is? What kind of passports do they have? Two of my FAs have BNO/HKSAR passports, so they pretty much don't need any visas to all the routes except to India, US, and Vietnam. If anyone holds BNO, they will have problems with going to US, DME, India, Vietname and Russia.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I had a lengthy chat with the ISM on a recent flight. I've seen her many times on the same route. One of the things we talked about she mentioned that she's HKG based and has never flown long haul, so I really doubt that requirement.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: Marco Polo
It's incorrect that CX crew have to fly every route in the network / 3 years. As for CX889/888 I would say it's mostly YVR based crew with some HKG based crew at times. Also the YVR based crew would work to JFK as well.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So is the consensus here that there a highly possibility of YVR base crew on the midnight flight as opposed toe the afternoon one?
Old May 28, 2015, 6:53 am

So is the consensus here that there a highly possibility of YVR base crew on the midnight flight as opposed toe the afternoon one?
no, i'm not sure what the consensus is for the midnight flights (cx888/889).

i am only quite certain HKG-based crews fly this route sometimes. However, I cannot attest to how often, whether its the majority or minority of flights, certain days of week, etc. I simply know that HKG-crew based patterns absolutely include CX888 and CX889. And admittedly, I know this now and backwards looking. Many flights have changed crew bases over the years. Certain JFK, LAX and SFO flights all come to mind. No saying the primary base on those flights won't change in the future either.

For now, I am also certain that the JFK base is not rostered on CX888/889. They are rostered for now only on CX830 and CX845.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.