Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KA fly HND red eye to HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Its not just lcc they are competing but also NH that has red eye flights. I must admit I wud not take this flight timing is less than ideal and 320 on a haneda flight no thanks
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Not going there on it but I like the flight back.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
I've been on this flight two weeks ago.

The minor downers are:
- cabin kept warm enough for me to sweat
- old A320
Isn't this flight on the of the guaranteed flights with new A320 cabin?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels
Dunno if guaranteed but I was definitely old cabin.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by midlevels
Seems not... And I doubt KA's progress of renewing the 320s...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by clazza
I flew HND to HKG at the beginning of the month...never again.

Check in desks (I had luggage) didnt open until 2.5 hrs (23.15) before the flight, it was originally 3 but they changed it (website is up to date) So 23.15 is when you can check, so you cant checkin with luggage earlier to use the lounge if you've finished your day in Tokyo. Apparently there are self-service desks which are fine if you have no luggage

CX lounge isnt open that early and also has limited food (not that I wanted anything to eat) I actually used the JAL lounge before moving to the CX one

Boarding times were constantly delayed, about 30 mins in total, so went down from the lounge for nothing (Thats the problem when just about everybody has priority boarding, you try to board early so you can stow your hand luggage - I was in Y)

Old 320, terrible seats. Served a full meal which took them 2 hrs - who eats at that time? Didnt fully turn down the lights after the meal service because "it helps them serve customers" - lights were completely off in J - I queried this, after which they turned off the lights out. I got 1 hour sleep.

Disinterested crew but that's no big deal / luck of the draw

I guess opening the checkin desks costs money so CX wont change that but coupled with the usual boarding issues, pointless meal service and lighting / disinterested crew, I wont bother again
A friend flew HND to HKG on the red eye flight recently and commented that
- He got the old A320 which hardly reclined and no IFE.
- Absolutely no food was served. (Or did he sleep through it ?)

On the red eye flight from HKG to NRT on CX, the meal service is a cold sandwich and a small fruit cup.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
This flight just sounds awful. But I can't say I'm too surprised....the CX/KA group seem to treat those East and South intra-Asia redeyes (including Japan, SIN, ICN, CGK, and maybe another one or two I'm missing) less of business traveler flights, and more just a way to keep the aircraft utilization up. They give two $hits about what hard product shows up on those redeye flights. Unlike India, Middle East and Maldives, where CX clearly protects the integrity of the J class Cirrus (bed) hard product by reliably dispatching 33G or the new variant, both with flat beds in J.

I often see cheapo fares offered on the intra-Asia redeye routes which tell me they're not particularly popular with the business set who is going to be more particular about the hard product.

Personally, I avoid redeyes at all costs unless I've got a bed. The flights are so short intra Asia (3 hours flying time or less except for CGK), and time zones so compact (only +1 hour or 0 time change) that rarely am I in a situation where I MUST take the CX/KA redeye, unlike the US where you can get the feeling like a whole day is wasted if you fly west coast to east coast daytime.

So methinks they are primarily flown by tourists and peice-sensitive travelers, given the deals offered on those flights (I've seen them also frequently pop up as "FanFares"). And CX gets their aircraft utilization up. I don't think they're too worried about the product. And my recommendation to folks thinking about taking those redeyes, whether it's this KA flight or another one, is buyer beware.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
This flight just sounds awful. But I can't say I'm too surprised....the CX/KA group seem to treat those East and South intra-Asia redeyes (including Japan, SIN, ICN, CGK, and maybe another one or two I'm missing) less of business traveler flights, and more just a way to keep the aircraft utilization up. They give two $hits about what hard product shows up on those redeye flights. Unlike India, Middle East and Maldives, where CX clearly protects the integrity of the J class Cirrus (bed) hard product by reliably dispatching 33G or the new variant, both with flat beds in J.

I often see cheapo fares offered on the intra-Asia redeye routes which tell me they're not particularly popular with the business set who is going to be more particular about the hard product.

Personally, I avoid redeyes at all costs unless I've got a bed. The flights are so short intra Asia (3 hours flying time or less except for CGK), and time zones so compact (only +1 hour or 0 time change) that rarely am I in a situation where I MUST take the CX/KA redeye, unlike the US where you can get the feeling like a whole day is wasted if you fly west coast to east coast daytime.

So methinks they are primarily flown by tourists and peice-sensitive travelers, given the deals offered on those flights (I've seen them also frequently pop up as "FanFares"). And CX gets their aircraft utilization up. I don't think they're too worried about the product. And my recommendation to folks thinking about taking those redeyes, whether it's this KA flight or another one, is buyer beware.
I took the red eye flight from HKG to NRT exactly because I was going to Tokyo as a tourist, not on business. You would land in NRT at 0625 (the first flight of the day) and be out of immigration/customs by 0700. Saved in inflight snack box for breakfast while waiting for the first Narita Express that would depart at 0740. Probably got 3 hours of sleep on the plane and another hour on Narita Express on the way to town. I like the fact that I could dump my bags at the hotel by 10am and go about town already, and return to the hotel at 2pm to check in. The idea of taking the morning flight out of HK and only get to the hotel by 4pm or 5pm is a bit of a nuisance, if I am travelling on my own time. Would I fly the red eye flight for business ? Probably not. You just need to know what you are getting yourself into when you get onto these flights.

Took the red eye from Jakarta to Hong Kong on Garuda about 2 years back. They served a cold sandwich at take off and a full breakfast before landing. Can't imagine CX catering to have the same standard.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zhaobao
A friend flew HND to HKG on the red eye flight recently and commented that
- He got the old A320 which hardly reclined and no IFE.
- Absolutely no food was served. (Or did he sleep through it ?)

On the red eye flight from HKG to NRT on CX, the meal service is a cold sandwich and a small fruit cup.
Just flew KA996 HKG-PEK last night...

- A seems-to-be last minute equipment change resulted in a new A320 for the flight... (p.s. Who knows how many A320 have been refurb already?)
- KA did serve full dinner i.e. hot meal + fruit + HD for 996... and 997 as well... Every time I flew them... Of course the consumption rate is low as most people are sleeping...

Didn't try CX's regional red-eye so no comment
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by sscywong
Just flew KA996 HKG-PEK last night...

- A seems-to-be last minute equipment change resulted in a new A320 for the flight... (p.s. Who knows how many A320 have been refurb already?)
- KA did serve full dinner i.e. hot meal + fruit + HD for 996... and 997 as well... Every time I flew them... Of course the consumption rate is low as most people are sleeping...

Didn't try CX's regional red-eye so no comment
Was this J or Y ?
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zhaobao
Was this J or Y ?
Y... Never scored an op-up on 996 / 997... (my colleague did got an op-up on 996 last year at the end of 10-1 golden week holiday...)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Since we're not getting JQHK to increase tourist/price sensitive supply, what's wrong with these tourist redeyes? Even better if CX/KA isn't worried these will cannibalise daytime business flights.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by percysmith
Since we're not getting JQHK to increase tourist/price sensitive supply, what's wrong with these tourist redeyes? Even better if CX/KA isn't worried these will cannibalise daytime business flights.
Absolutely nothing. I just wouldn't recommend them to anyone other than someone looking for a good deal. It's be a shame if someone paying full Y, B or J class expecting some type of elevated product took those flights. They don't sound like my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean they're bad for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.