Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No point being a Concierge Elite

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

No point being a Concierge Elite

I'm fairly disappointed by the level of service given to Concierge members (especially in U.S.)

Besides the free breakfast (which I usually don't end up eating anyway) and additional bonus points (although it's not worth trying to attain the status just for this reason), I don't see any additional incentive to go beyond Gold. I got the same treatment (if not better actually) being a Gold than what I get with my Concierge status. There have been few times where I didn't even get an upgrade (even though the hotel was empty) and I had to "request and plead" to get upgraded.

Being that Concierge is their top most elite status, I'd think the hotels would treat Concierge members with more respect and care, but my experiences so far at the few hotels I've stayed at in U.S. has been very disappointing.

Fellow Concierge members, how do you feel about your status benefits?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by tsmith12
Besides the free breakfast (which I usually don't end up eating anyway) and additional bonus points ..........

Breakfast and bonus points seem like pretty good benefits to me.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
SYdney rad blu didn't even give me access to their executive club lounge but I did get an upgrade. However in the two properties I stayed In Croatia recently the rad blu split and Dubrovnik I did get more then expected it was both a full breakfast and discounts on food bill charged to the room even room services 10% . I also revived free in house movies in both properties due to this status .

I guess it depends on the property Sydney didn't even recognise the status but the hotels in Croatia were basically my personal assistant
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
For a Concierge member traveling for business, especially on his own dime, it looks good to me.

Say he could find a Country Inn for $60. He'd get:

3000 points for booking
2100 points for the room (60x20 plus 75% bonus).

Say 30% tax bracket.

Net cost $42, get a room and breakfast and 5100 non-taxable points (plus whatever the credit card yields). That is pretty decent return if you have to stay somewhere anyway, as long as there is not a great competing hotel offer like Hyatt FFN going.

And CC is coming out with a credit card soon, which will presumably give a decent chunk of points.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:34 am
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:09 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tsmith12
I'm fairly disappointed by the level of service given to Concierge members (especially in U.S.)
could this be a case of US hotels typically have crappy recognition of elites?

I know that with most of the hotel programs I've been top tier in, U.S. hotels typically are the worst in terms of honoring or providing status benefits. Asia has always been the best (in my experience).

I'm also guessing that CC hasn't trained front desk personnel in a uniform/systemwide manner (or if at all) to make sure concierge members (& other tiers) are acknowledged properly.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:38 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Honors Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Lufthansa FT
Huge disappointment: Club Carlson

I've been suspecting for a long time (actually back in 2011 when I was Gold member) that Club Carlson properties, although advertising Club Carlson everywhere in the hotel, actually do not have a clue when there's a Concierge (or Gold) member checking in. Here's my proof:

My usual check-in works as follows. I come up to the counter, show my ID (not my CC card, as I have booked through Club Carlson website every single time and thus my Club Carlson number and status should be in the system). I get my room key prepared and handed over. Then I say:

Me: "So what about the breakfast, how does this work?"

Check-In Staff: "Breakfast is x "Currency" and served in our restaurant"

Me: "But I think for me it is free, can you check the system"

Check-In (checking system): "Sorry Sir, you've booked excluding breakfast"

Me: "But can you see my Concierge status there?"

Check-In: "Are you Concierge member?"

.....enough said

Sometimes Check-In doesn't even know that for Concierge breakfast is free, sometimes even when in front of them there is a status comparison chart with all benefits standing. Poor training, however, is one thing. Poor IT, on the other hand, is a no-go.

No wonder I NEVER get upgraded without starting a hassle at the check-in counter (which I do only in 1 out of 10 cases, when it is a real special hotel stay with girlfriend or friends). How are people supposed to know?

This program is a farce. I think I can say that by know, as I have enough evidence from hotels all over Germany, Sweden, Hungary, Poland etc.

I will write an official complaint to the program adminstration as well. This is a broken promise, broken by being careless of what is offered can actually be supplied.

To make this clear: I do NOT blame the check-in staff or any of the hotel staff except maybe the management.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Honors Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Lufthansa FT
And I forgot to add: I double checked with many check-in staff whether they could see my status in the system, and they all said they couldn't and insisted on me showing my card...these are stone-age business processes
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:20 am

Programs: Amex platinum, LeClubAccor Plat, Club Carlson gold, Hilton HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by asnesne
I've been suspecting for a long time (actually back in 2011 when I was Gold member) that Club Carlson properties, although advertising Club Carlson everywhere in the hotel, actually do not have a clue when there's a Concierge (or Gold) member checking in. Here's my proof:

My usual check-in works as follows. I come up to the counter, show my ID (not my CC card, as I have booked through Club Carlson website every single time and thus my Club Carlson number and status should be in the system). I get my room key prepared and handed over. Then I say:

Me: "So what about the breakfast, how does this work?"

Check-In Staff: "Breakfast is x "Currency" and served in our restaurant"

Me: "But I think for me it is free, can you check the system"

Check-In (checking system): "Sorry Sir, you've booked excluding breakfast"

Me: "But can you see my Concierge status there?"

Check-In: "Are you Concierge member?"

.....enough said

Sometimes Check-In doesn't even know that for Concierge breakfast is free, sometimes even when in front of them there is a status comparison chart with all benefits standing. Poor training, however, is one thing. Poor IT, on the other hand, is a no-go.

No wonder I NEVER get upgraded without starting a hassle at the check-in counter (which I do only in 1 out of 10 cases, when it is a real special hotel stay with girlfriend or friends). How are people supposed to know?

This program is a farce. I think I can say that by know, as I have enough evidence from hotels all over Germany, Sweden, Hungary, Poland etc.

I will write an official complaint to the program adminstration as well. This is a broken promise, broken by being careless of what is offered can actually be supplied.

To make this clear: I do NOT blame the check-in staff or any of the hotel staff except maybe the management.
Yes, it should be, but as you have pointed out that does not seem to be the case. So maybe simply showing your CC card when you check in may save a bit of stress and get you the free breakfast and room upgrade.

I now have a few CC stays under my belt (as a humble gold member) and have so far a 100% record of room upgrades and free breakfast.

My script on checking in is to come to the counter, say who I am and that I have a reservation, show my CC card and say something along the lines of "I think this thing means you can offer me an upgraded room, if you have one.... No problem if you dont because I am sure all the rooms are great.

This usually leads to a quick chat with the senior on the check in desk, some frowning at the computer screen and "yes, we can offer you a business room etc".

"does that include breakfast?" and so far the answer has been affirmative.

As you say, the check in staff are invariably good - perhaps just give them a chance by giving them all the information they need at the beginning.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PeterT1953
Yes, it should be, but as you have pointed out that does not seem to be the case. So maybe simply showing your CC card when you check in may save a bit of stress and get you the free breakfast and room upgrade.

I now have a few CC stays under my belt (as a humble gold member) and have so far a 100% record of room upgrades and free breakfast.

My script on checking in is to come to the counter, say who I am and that I have a reservation, show my CC card and say something along the lines of "I think this thing means you can offer me an upgraded room, if you have one.... No problem if you dont because I am sure all the rooms are great.

This usually leads to a quick chat with the senior on the check in desk, some frowning at the computer screen and "yes, we can offer you a business room etc".

"does that include breakfast?" and so far the answer has been affirmative.

As you say, the check in staff are invariably good - perhaps just give them a chance by giving them all the information they need at the beginning.
Gold Elites technically don't get free breakfast..just goes to prove my point that I rather stay a Gold Elite than spend more nights at CC hotels to keep my Concierge status. I'm not sure if it's the title "Gold" that sounds good to the front desk staff, but on the whole, I've been treated on the same level, if not better being a Gold Elite than Concierge. Besides the bonus points, there has been absolutely no difference in service or benefits I've received with Concierge over Gold.

Or, maybe I should wear an Armani suit and check-in looking like a professional rather than my torn jeans and a baseball hat.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Red face

When one contemplates the stratospheric number of stays required for Concierge compared to the benefits, it's hard to get motivated about attaining it. And I can deal much better with inconsistency at the Gold level. (I am still a Rah Rah re the point promotions!)
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Firewind
When one contemplates the stratospheric number of stays required for Concierge compared to the benefits, it's hard to get motivated about attaining it. And I can deal much better with inconsistency at the Gold level. (I am still a Rah Rah re the point promotions!)
I couldnt agree more!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
I couldnt agree more!
Exactly! I mean with Gold status you can get upgraded to a Business Class room at Radissons. That room includes free breakfast anyways.

Now as a Concierge elite, only 4 stays away from requalifying this year again, I have so far this year only received 1 (!) suite upgrade. The rest was either Business Class (which I can get as Gold too) or Standard Rooms (when they didn't know what my status is and when I didn't bother to complain).

So basically: Gold status gets you the best upgrade you can get anyways. Plus it gives you the free breakfast at Radissons, too. Now what remains for Concierge is only the extra points (not that valuable) and a concierge hotline (trying hard but haven't been successful at any of my reservation requests yet, not even at getting me my 48 hour booking guarantee - which renders this benefit obsolete as well).

Compare all this to another hotel status and the result is: Club Carlson is great in advertising its new program, you see it everywhere in the hotel etc. - but the benefits are actually poorly operated.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Originally Posted by asnesne
Exactly! I mean with Gold status you can get upgraded to a Business Class room at Radissons. That room includes free breakfast anyways.

Now as a Concierge elite, only 4 stays away from requalifying this year again, I have so far this year only received 1 (!) suite upgrade. The rest was either Business Class (which I can get as Gold too) or Standard Rooms (when they didn't know what my status is and when I didn't bother to complain).

So basically: Gold status gets you the best upgrade you can get anyways. Plus it gives you the free breakfast at Radissons, too. Now what remains for Concierge is only the extra points (not that valuable) and a concierge hotline (trying hard but haven't been successful at any of my reservation requests yet, not even at getting me my 48 hour booking guarantee - which renders this benefit obsolete as well).

Compare all this to another hotel status and the result is: Club Carlson is great in advertising its new program, you see it everywhere in the hotel etc. - but the benefits are actually poorly operated.
For most hotels I would agree with you. I have seen one difference, though. At Radisson Blu Plaza in Oslo Golds get a Business Class Room and Concierge get a Junior Suite. But I do generally agree. There is very little difference between Gold and Concierge and I am myself really wondering if it's worth renewing the Concierge this year. The experiences have been very underwhelming compared to for instance the experiences I had as SPG Plat.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by kauppias
I couldnt agree more!

I guess I will stay Gold. I have been happy with the Gold upgrades in Europe. Pretty much 100% upgrade success rate
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I've just renewed my Gold status for next year, so it looks like I will probably reach Concierge level (by default) before this year is up. However, if one's stays are mostly in North America, where it's basically Radissons and Country Inns (where breakfasts are free anyway), then Concierge is not something I would actively persue. But in Europe (where the breakfasts are almost like a brunch buffet and never complimentary--aside from a few individual properties) I think it makes more sense. Plus, at every Radisson I've stayed at in the U.S., I've never received a welcome gift; but I have at Country Inns surprisingly. However, I've always received a welcome gift (usually a fruit plate) at all of the brands I've stayed at in Europe, with the exception of only a couple of individual properties.

Last edited by Fanjet; Aug 4, 2012 at 2:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.