Search

Honeymoon: Antigua? Anguilla? Both?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Honeymoon: Antigua? Anguilla? Both?

Thanks in advance for any advice the FT Caribbean experts can offer here

I'm planning an 8-10 night honeymoon sometime in the first couple weeks of April (the actual wedding takes place next month).

We'd very much like to do 4-5 nights at Hermitage Bay in Antigua at the end of it, since every couple has their own cottage and there are never more than 50 guests on the property.

That said, we'd also like to find some other non-inclusive (and not as expensive!) place to stay for the previous 4-5 nights.

If our primary goals are beaches, leisurely bike rides, dining out (not at hotels), sightseeing, etc. (not nightlife), should we be looking at another hotel in Antigua? Or would the food be better in Anguilla? We've heard great things about Anguilla and have thought about spending 4-5 days there beforehand, then flying LIAT to Antigua.

Doing one-way flights into and out of the islands is not an issue.

Looking forward to your insights - they are appreciated!

Last edited by davesfolhr; Jan 7, 2013 at 8:34 pm Reason: Edited to subscribe by instant email
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
I only went to Antigua on a cruise so I can not comment on staying there, but my perception is that it is predominantly an AI type of island - you don't go sightseeing or eating off resort. But that is my perception, I don't have it on the list to go back to so I have not researched in detail. I would like to here others thoughts as well.

Anguilla would be nice and would work well with either St Barts and/or St Maarten so you can take the ferry to/from. Based on what you mentioned, I think these would work better, but I don't know exactly how committed you are to Antigua.

What about St Lucia ? That is one of the few remaining islands I really want to go to. I checked the LIAT website and they do have non-stops from ANU to SLU if you did want to do Antigua.

Something like this ?
http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/en/sugarbeach/

OR

http://www.jademountain.com/

Cheers.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Anguilla, definitely. Meets all of your requirements.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:30 am

Anguilla

Anguilla is all about the beaches and the restaurants. From fine dining to beach bars, there are over 80 top notch restaurants in all price ranges.
As far as sightseeing and things to do, not so much, it is a flat scrubby island with very few attractions and very little shopping. But, it you like great beaches (the best I have ever seen), and wonderful food, then you will love Anguilla.
There is a very active forum on Trip Advisor.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by VOH2OX2
Anguilla is all about the beaches and the restaurants. From fine dining to beach bars, there are over 80 top notch restaurants in all price ranges.
As far as sightseeing and things to do, not so much, it is a flat scrubby island with very few attractions and very little shopping. But, it you like great beaches (the best I have ever seen), and wonderful food, then you will love Anguilla.
There is a very active forum on Trip Advisor.
Yes to all of the above. We spent 10 days on Anguilla and really enjoyed it. We will be back.

There are several resorts on a beach. Cap Juluca, Cuisinart, Viceroy and the Fragiapani (sp?) come to mind. There are probably more.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Antigua has a fair amount of things to do, several old forts which are very scenic, good restaurants, St. Johns is an interesting town. For goodness sake, if you go there, get out and see things. (I've never understood the insular, plop yourself in a resort and never leave attitude.) From Antigua, a fascinating day trip is over to Montserrat where there is an active volcano, with the whole south end of the island, including the capital, covered with ash just a few years ago. I think you have to take a flight these days, as ferry service was spotty when I was there at least.

Anguilla is a big, flat, dry island with good restaurants and beautiful beaches but not a lot else. Rent a car at least one day and drive around. Almost no traffic. I remember a little beach shack/bar at the very end of the road at the northeast tip of the island that had the best ice cold beer....

For things to do and lots great restaurants, I'd actually recommend Sint Maarten/St. Martin over Anguilla. Anguilla is more quiet and rural; it all depends on what you are looking for.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. In the end, we settled on five nights at the Viceroy in Anguilla and five nights at Hermitage Bay in Antigua (for those who are interested, LuxuryLink has that property at a terrific discount, and you can easily find promo codes to shave another 10% off).

We still need to find someplace to stay for one night on Anguilla in between, as the Viceroy is sold out for what would be our last night there. We'll likely go to a B&B that night.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by davesfolhr
Thanks everyone for your input. In the end, we settled on five nights at the Viceroy in Anguilla and five nights at Hermitage Bay in Antigua (for those who are interested, LuxuryLink has that property at a terrific discount, and you can easily find promo codes to shave another 10% off).

We still need to find someplace to stay for one night on Anguilla in between, as the Viceroy is sold out for what would be our last night there. We'll likely go to a B&B that night.
I think you made a great choice for both locations. Spent 10 days in Antigua this past June and it was beautiful. Spent a few days around St. John's - lots to see and do. Great food as well; I couldn't resist some of the street food. When you see a man pull up and locals come running to buy, you have to join them. Delicious.

Fort James is also a real cool spot to check out, it's at the entrance of the harbor. Worth a visit!

Good luck and enjoy!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:35 am

Sorry late to the thread because it looks like you already booked it... but I would recommend going to one place for your Honeymoon.

My wife and I spent our first week at the Cuisinart in Anguilla (which I highly recommend) and then for the second week at another place in Virgin Gorda in the BVIs. The second week was terrible -- just not as good, and it was a lot of money to travel and stay at the place. We told them this and they were very accommodating and made arrangements for us to return to Anguilla. The return trip is a story in itself, but needless to say, we had a great time back in Anguilla.

In retrospect, I wish we had just stayed at one place. We were spoiled at the first place, and Anguilla is truly a gem.

We went back to Anguilla the next year too...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crombie

My wife and I spent our first week at the Cuisinart in Anguilla (which I highly recommend) and then for the second week at another place in Virgin Gorda in the BVIs. The second week was terrible -- just not as good, and it was a lot of money to travel and stay at the place. We told them this and they were very accommodating and made arrangements for us to return to Anguilla.
Was this by any chance at Little Dix Bay?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by davesfolhr
Was this by any chance at Little Dix Bay?
No actually. Biras Creek. Let me just say that it's probably a wonderful place for some people and the food was good and it was really beautiful, but there were a few things:

* The ocean was a bit rough so it wasn't really that great to go into.
* The beach was nothing like the beaches in Anguilla. You couldn't spend all day there, and it was a little way's away from our lodging. It certainly didn't seem like the website photos honestly.
* We showed up for a sailboat ride one night that was part of the resort, and they wouldn't go because we were the only people that showed up and they required 6 people.

This was all over 8 years ago, so I'm not sure how it's changed.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: aa
anguilla or jamaica for a honeymoon?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jada135
On what kind of budget? Anguilla is likely to be more expensive than Jamaica if you want a nice hotel.

It very much depends on what you're looking for. Jamaica is very good if you want all-inclusive and sitting on the beach and some jungle/river adventures. Anguilla has beautiful beaches and is good for going out to dinner at nice restaurants in town.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jada135
Anguilla, unless you need a bunch of activities to keep your self busy.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:12 am

Anguilla is our favorite island - have been many time - but if leisurely bike rides and sightseeing are important, you might be disappointed. Anguilla is all about beaches and restaurants, as a previous poster noted. The TA board is, indeed, an active one and will provide a lot of ideas for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.