Best flights for YVR-HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2000, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Best flights for YVR-HKG?

Hi frequent flyers and fellow flying fanatics,

What's the best YVR-HKG flight for Y class travelers? Depart ~ mid July, return ~ mid August.

Options I see are CP 7 and CP 6999 (codeshare on CX), two other CX flights (incl. one red-eye) and AC 9 (red-eye). Now, AC doesn't offer a direct HKG-YVR return, so AC's ruled out (don't want to fly with them anyways), so this leaves CP and CX flights.

Would CP or CX be more comfortable in Y class?

I heard from one travel agent that after July 7, we can't earn CPlus points on CX. Does this mean the end of codeshares with CX too (meaning I should stick with CP 7)? A hint at the end of oneworld? Or both?

Another problem: Almost all of the flights from YEG-YVR are AC-operated (no real choice here). Will there be CP codeshare numbers on these and other domestic flights soon? If not, does this mean no automatic baggage transfer at YVR?

Thanks for the help,
FewMiles..
Old Feb 20, 2000, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
AC flights are already codeshared with CP between YEG and YVR, and are operated by CP with their fleet of 737s for the most part. And even if they weren't, it doesn't mean your bags can't be checked right through to HKG. Most airlines have interlining agreements with one another, irrespective of their other alliances.

As for Y-cabin comfort, both CX and CP are pretty much equal from my experience, though CX often flies its older 747s on this run. With the DC-10s all gone, Cdn's fleet is made up of pretty new 747-400s.

Your real issue is what program you are having you miles credited to. I assume you are a Cdn+ member, and if what you say is true about the end of oneworld for Cdn comping in July, you have no real choice. Starting a new FF account on CX wouldn't be of much use, since discount fares don't received credit. Same with discounted CX flights on AAdvantage.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 02-21-2000).]
Old Feb 21, 2000, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Shareholder,

You're right about the current YEG-YVR schedules being mostly CP, but looking at the July YEG-YVR flight schedules using the CPlus web reservations, I see only one CP, one AC, and the rest are AirBC. There is an AC codeshare number on the CP-operated flight, but no CP numbers on any of the AC flights (so far).

From CX's timetables, it looks like they're using newer 747-400's on the YVR-HKG runs in summer, so I'm kind of leaning towards CX. Hopefully, CP's codesharing agreement with them lasts until then and I can still earn CPlus points.
Old Feb 21, 2000, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Even if it is AC - CP or CX CNX at YVR, there is no problem with interlining. Even if they can't issue boarding passes at YEG, they can certainly tag the bags.

As for travelling YVR - HKG in Y, I would avoid both CP and CX. The 340 is a much more comfortable aircraft in Y because it is only 8 abreast.

That being said, stick with CP. Don't run the risk that CP is pulled out of OW before you fly. Although there is usually a warning of six-months or so, there are no guarantees in these cases.
Old Feb 23, 2000, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Asian customers throughout Asia are livid (or so I heard) now that CP's 1300H takeoff slot has been regulated to 1800H , thereby making through connections to Toronto impossible! Meaning they'd have to switch to AC's service which has not even begun!

AC is royally screwing CP's profit margin already.
Old Feb 23, 2000, 7:56 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

Have you thought about that it's CP/Milton's idea of changing the departure time to 1800? CP 7 arrives HKG from YVR at 1600, wouldn't it make sense to turnaround and go back to YVR at 1800 rather than parking the plane at HKG overnight like they are doing it now? To get to YYZ, people would have to connect to AC's domestic flight or take AC's direct to YYZ.
Old Feb 26, 2000, 6:43 pm

YYZ isn't the worst problem. Try getting to NYC, YHZ (or even YUL). If you hit the ground (hopefully not literally) in YVR in the afternoon, you wind up in YYZ after the last departures to points east.

Fortunately I am allowed a stopover in each direction NYC-HKG, which allows me to go through YVR with no problem, but if you don't want the delay or expense of a stopover, it is a pain.
Old Feb 27, 2000, 11:34 am
Original Member

Programs: CX DM, JGC Sapphire, FWC Gold
The seat pitch of CP B747 is greater than CX's in both Y and J class. However, CX offers better food and service (like personal TV)
Old Feb 27, 2000, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Personal TVs are advertised but not always on the aircraft used on these routes. I flew the JFK end of the HKG-YVR-JFK in November and that aircraft did not have personal TVs in economy. It is worth confirming details about aircraft when booking (i.e. series 200 or 400) if this is important to you.
Old Feb 28, 2000, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It looks like CX is using all 747-400 series planes now, so that means the newer cabins.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cool.gif Then again, CP's 747's aren't too bad either from the sounds of it.

Problem is, by the time I go (June or July), will CP still have codesharing agreements with CX? (i.e. will oneworld still be intact at that time meaning CPlus points for a CX flight.) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/confused.gif

FewMiles..
Old Feb 28, 2000, 3:39 pm

Nothing is certain in this world http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

When CP is pulled from OW, there will probably be some advance warning--but there is no guarantee that the cutoff won't be the day before you fly, rendering all those CX miles useless to your CP account.

If you get a CP codeshare tkt, however, you should be safe. If you snag a CP seat on a CX operated A/C your miles are safe. (However, there is the remote possibility that you could get bumped off the CX flight onto some other CP-operated or codeshared flight)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.