Search

YUL - International/USA Connection Procedure

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++
YUL - International/USA Connection Procedure

Hello there,

I'll travel from FRA-ZRH-YUL-LGA on 26th.
I am fully vaccinated with Pfizer.
USA entry is very clear: only requires an antigen test.
Looking in here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...try-vaccinated

I understand for transiting Canada I would need a PCR testing actually...
That's a bit inconvenient, TBH. I won't go into a flame here,
I just need some advice from fully vaccinated people transiting Canada to US from Europe, recently.

Thank you,
Stefan
Old Nov 22, 2021, 2:45 am
Original Poster

found another link: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...er#transit-air

I guess I am exempt from testing after all... What do you think?

Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by st8dm
found another link: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...er#transit-air

I guess I am exempt from testing after all... What do you think?

Correct, you should be good to go with just the antigen test for the US entry requirements.
st8dm likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

no one asked nothing about any test/vaccine when transiting Canada...

- the end -
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
How do you do an overnight I-I connection at YYZ? Are you supposed to sleep in the terminal?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Santander
How do you do an overnight I-I connection at YYZ? Are you supposed to sleep in the terminal?
Depends on the Terminal...

Technically yes (in 1 situation) I can brainstorm, you will be sleeping in the chairs of the arrival glass corridors waiting for transit security to open.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
You can also enter Canada (based on regular Canada entry requirements, then join the regular way for international departure. Or...maybe scratch that? I realize now this may be a bit tricky....if the first I is anywhere outside of the US, rules supposedly require you to quarantine until entry test results come back, so presumably can't leave until those are available.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

I can only speak about YUL, where you definitely cannot sleep in the terminal.
Weird enough, the lounges open up at 2-3PM.
Arriving at 12 PM, and the airport was ghosted.

Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat CK 4.0M+; Delta DM; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist
Transit at YUL from DOH to US Destination with checked luggage ?

Hi all,

I am hoping that someone will be able to answer this question. We are flying DOH to YUL on QR and then taking DL to DTW. We will have checked luggage.

I'm making the assumption that QR will be able to check our luggage to our destination in the USA.

Given this, what should we expect in terms of transiting at YUL? We will be landing around 1400 and our connecting flight to DTW is around 1730. Will we be able to transit without entering Canada? What documentation would we need to have in hand in order to do so?

Also, given that we have to clear US Customs at YUL, would our luggage show up in the US pre-clearance section where we would have to claim it and then take it through US customs before giving it back to DL?

appreciate any clarity on the above that anyone can provide in terms of what to expect and what to be prepared for?

Additionally, given the ~3.5 hour transit time, would it be wise to fill our ArriveCAN just to be safe?

thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by introspection
Hi all,

Given this, what should we expect in terms of transiting at YUL? We will be landing around 1400 and our connecting flight to DTW is around 1730. Will we be able to transit without entering Canada? What documentation would we need to have in hand in order to do so?

appreciate any clarity on the above that anyone can provide in terms of what to expect and what to be prepared for?

Additionally, given the ~3.5 hour transit time, would it be wise to fill our ArriveCAN just to be safe?

thanks in advance for your help!
Hi there - Story's a bit different as I was on one airline and one itinerary (not sure if yours is booked through one itinerary or two separate tickets - this might be the key question), but just did an International to US via YUL a few days ago. Didn't have any checked luggage, so can't help you there, but in terms of "entering" Canada - you shouldn't so long as you have BPs in hand for both segments. When you deplane, you will simply follow signs to "connections" and then they will form a separate lane for US connections. Scan your boarding pass, and get sent down to security and US immigration. No entrance into Canada.

ArriveCan wasn't necessary in my experience - I did not fill it out as was simply in transit (and the Federal government's ArriveCan page confirms this as well).

Just to confirm, the above was on one single itinerary where you are provided with both boarding passes upon initial checkin. If you aren't provided both BPs or are on two separate itineraries, your answer could well be different.

Good luck and safe travels!

Last edited by roadto17; Dec 23, 2021 at 10:55 am Reason: Edited to reflect better understanding of itinerary.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat CK 4.0M+; Delta DM; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by roadto17
Hi there - Story's a bit different as I was on one airline and one itinerary (not sure if yours is booked through one itinerary or two separate tickets - this might be the key question), but just did an International to US via YUL a few days ago. Didn't have any checked luggage, so can't help you there, but in terms of "entering" Canada - you shouldn't so long as you have BPs in hand for both segments. When you deplane, you will simply follow signs to "connections" and then they will form a separate lane for US connections. Scan your boarding pass, and get sent down to security and US immigration. No entrance into Canada.

ArriveCan wasn't necessary in my experience - I did not fill it out as was simply in transit (and the Federal government's ArriveCan page confirms this as well).

Just to confirm, the above was on one single itinerary where you are provided with both boarding passes upon initial checkin. If you aren't provided both BPs or are on two separate itineraries, your answer could well be different.

Good luck and safe travels!
thanks for the response. very helpful. we are on 2 separate PNRs, but will try to get the 2nd set of boarding passes before we arrive in YUL. It's DL, so hopefully we can do online checkin in advance.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:23 am

thanks for the response. very helpful. we are on 2 separate PNRs, but will try to get the 2nd set of boarding passes before we arrive in YUL. It's DL, so hopefully we can do online checkin in advance.
If on separate PNRs, you are bound by CA entry protocols as QR will see that your final destination is CA. Ensure you meet all CA requirements prior to checking into your flight
roadto17 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:26 am

I'm making the assumption that QR will be able to check our luggage to our destination in the USA.
Does QR and DL have an interlining agreement?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 22calbr
If on separate PNRs, you are bound by CA entry protocols as QR will see that your final destination is CA. Ensure you meet all CA requirements prior to checking into your flight
I agree with 22 here, since you are on two separate PNRs, you'll need to ensure you can enter Canada, since for all intents and purposes, the only thing QR likely knows is that it's taking you to Canada and that's it.

Sorry - my prior data point was not very helpful to your situation given the different ticketing circumstances!
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:38 am

Tight Connection in YUL possible?

Flying IST - YUL - LGA

Booked through UA, and connection time in YUL was reduced from 2 hr to 90 minutes due to a flight change. UA said 90 minutes is below their minimum connection time of two hours in YUL.

UA said I can keep the flight "at my own risk" of missing my onward flight due to the short connection time. I have no checked baggage, if that matters.

Is a 90 minute connection doable in YUL? Inbound flight is TK, outbound is AC Express.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.