FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada-462/)
-   -   Min time needed when returning from US and connecting via YUL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/canada/1950347-min-time-needed-when-returning-us-connecting-via-yul.html)

vantony Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Min time needed when returning from US and connecting via YUL

Planning on a LGA->YUL->YVR route and currently looking at a flight that has 1:26 connection time in YUL. What is typical time needed to get through Canada Customs?

I think I've done one before and I thought it was pretty quick, but that might've been a outbound instead of inbound.

Bohemian1 Jan 10, 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by vantony (Post 30638349)
Planning on a LGA->YUL->YVR route and currently looking at a flight that has 1:26 connection time in YUL. What is typical time needed to get through Canada Customs?

I think I've done one before and I thought it was pretty quick, but that might've been a outbound instead of inbound.

Do you have Nexus? Are you assuming One Stop Security?

Seat13F_AC_CRJ Jan 10, 2019 3:01 pm

You have a legal connection, and normally 1.5 hrs is plenty of time in YUL. Follow the signs for connections.

Bad: there are often delays out of LGA.
Good: there are multiple ways to get to YVR from YUL.
--
13F

vantony Jan 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30638352)
Do you have Nexus? Are you assuming One Stop Security?

No Nexus, and you do you mean by One Stop Security? Thought I just go through Connection for passport. I believe my checked baggage goes directly to YVR.

vantony Jan 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ (Post 30638396)
Bad: there are often delays out of LGA.
Good: there are multiple ways to get to YVR from YUL.
--
13F

I have option of EWR instead of LGA. Would you think that's a better alternative?

FlyerTalker70 Jan 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by vantony (Post 30639797)
I have option of EWR instead of LGA. Would you think that's a better alternative?

There are also delays out of EWR (in fact I had a 5 hour delay a few months ago on the exact route EWR->YUL). The argument for LGA is that there is more frequent service to YUL so you're better protected if your flight goes mechanical or gets delayed. The argument for EWR is that AC operates a non-stop to YVR so if things go squirrelly you'll have a better option available. Also EWR is a major hub for UA meaning you'll also get a decent amount of intra-US connections to YVR (i.e. EWR->SFO->YVR or EWR->ORD->YVR, EWR->DEN->YVR, etc.)

On the whole, you should be fine with LGA. As others have pointed, AC's network is fairly extensive and even if things go a bit squirrelly there'll be a route to get you where you need to go.

-James

tcook052 Jan 10, 2019 10:27 pm

As this is a YUL airport question rather than an Air Canada or Aeroplan specific question it's been relocated to the Canada forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator

SFO777 Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Nonstop on CX or even AC would eliminate your connection worries. Are you looking at a connection so you can use miles?

vantony Jan 11, 2019 11:03 am

Yes I am using points for me and wife. Ideally it would be great to go direct but I wasn't able to find availability for the date and cabin I wanted.
There are other options to route through YYZ/YUL with much longer connection time ( 4+ hours ), but I prefer not to if 1.5 hr layover is do-able.