Passport service moving out of Foreign Affairs department

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Passport service moving out of Foreign Affairs department

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/na...016/story.html

OTTAWA — The federal government is shifting responsibility for passport services to Citizenship and Immigration Canada in July – a move that’s raising more questions than it answers.

This week the government said it considers this a “sensible move, in line with the duties CIC already performs, such as determining Canadian citizenship.”
Old May 10, 2013, 7:05 am

That's a very poorly written article by someone with little grasp of how the system works. "Exit visas" for example? She meant simple exit control. Canada is not imposing any form of "exit visa".

I spoke to a friend at a Canadian Embassy today, and pretty much it is business as usual. CIC already has the software in place to do this work anyway, and it is just a matter of reclassifying which department the officers in Canada work for. Overseas, it all remains the same. At least that's his take right now. A year down the road could be different.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation

I agree this is a tempest in a teapot.

The weird thing was the response from the Foreign Affairs critic for the Official Oppostion, Paul Dewar. He said CIC can't handle the immigration volumes, so how do we expect to handle passports!
Old May 25, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Does anyone know if Consulates outside Canada will issue the new Biometric passports from July 1st? I won't be able to come back to Canada till after my passport expires.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Yes, BUT the price will NOT be the same as issued in Canada (in fact, this is one of the things I hate the most, rather than the general price increase, though it's still bad. Not that it makes sense when I can get my foreign passport AND US visa for cheaper than the new passport fee, though I won't want the interview, and, if it's approved for VWP this is a moot point as I should be able to qualify under VWP as I have no criminal record and have lawfully entered the US hundreds of times in the past.)
I would just renew now to get the lower rates.
If you can get a foreign passport I would use it for the time being (unless I had to transit the US where I can't do that on my foreign passport.)
Also remember that you technically don't need a passport to enter Canada as 'Every Canadian citizen has the right to enter, remain in, and leave Canada.'
The bigger problem would be the airline.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Yes, BUT the price will NOT be the same as issued in Canada (in fact, this is one of the things I hate the most, rather than the general price increase, though it's still bad. Not that it makes sense when I can get my foreign passport AND US visa for cheaper than the new passport fee, though I won't want the interview, and, if it's approved for VWP this is a moot point as I should be able to qualify under VWP as I have no criminal record and have lawfully entered the US hundreds of times in the past.)
I would just renew now to get the lower rates.
If you can get a foreign passport I would use it for the time being (unless I had to transit the US where I can't do that on my foreign passport.)
Also remember that you technically don't need a passport to enter Canada as 'Every Canadian citizen has the right to enter, remain in, and leave Canada.'
The bigger problem would be the airline.

Sorry for my ignorance-- what 16 years of suffering and broken promises are you referring to?

Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by aerodrome
Sorry for my ignorance-- what 16 years of suffering and broken promises are you referring to?

Thanks.
July 1 1997 to present.
That is his posting signature and it is his view of what has happened in 16 years of new governance; KW, Anson, Donald and CY. It does not directly relate to the Canadian passport issue but indirectly.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
July 1 1997 to present.
That is his posting signature and it is his view of what has happened in 16 years of new governance; KW, Anson, Donald and CY. It does not directly relate to the Canadian passport issue but indirectly.
OH...he must be referring to HK, according to Google..... July 1 happens to be Canada Day and I was trying to find the connection to 16 yrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.