Wiki Posts
Search

Finding a Good First Class Fare - Glasgow to Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2023, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Finding a Good First Class Fare - Glasgow to Sacramento

Hey Folks,
So the long-story-short is I'm in Glasgow until April 2024, and I need an (ideally) First, or Business Class flight to SFO or SMF. I don't have to LEAVE from Glasgow. I figure I can leave from Paris, Lux, Ams, Dub, etc.

When I did this last year, my friend was able to use points to get me first class tickets for about 600 USD for each one-way -- this was first class. We like this friend. This friend is unavailable now.

So! I figure I could explain what I've done and what techniques I'm using, get some information on what I should be doing, and then also I wanted to see if my budgets are numbers I can realistically hit, or if I have my head in the clouds.

First, budget. I know those fairs I mentioned earlier were "best case scenario" fares. I figure I'd pay up to 1300 for first class and maybe 900 for premium economy? The legroom is what's important here.
1. Is this feasible do you think?
2. Is this feasiable if the time of year were different?

Second, Things I've done to try to get some good fares.
1. StudentUniverse. This is the best I've seen so far. seems like premium economy would be about 800 GBP from LHR.
2. Google Flights. I'm checking departures from AMS, LUX, DUB, LHR, and EDI with Arrival cities for LAX, SFO, and SMF.
3. I've heard there is a "Premium Fare Deals" Section on this website? I haven't found it. Anybody know of this?

Third, things i'd like to do but don't know where to do it
1. Book with points via somebody who HAS points? I know there are people who have plenty of points, but I don't know if there are better fares at the premium cabin rates given use of those points? Maybe somebody can elaborate here? I believe anybody can use their points to book on my behalf? No?

So! My questions are as follows:
1. Is the budget / target rate feasible?
2. Am I doing the right things to get there?
3. Is there something I'm missing in terms of things I could be doing to get there?
4. Should I stalk the rates for weeks in hopes of a mistake fare or something?
5. If so, where does one see mistake fares? Would something like Student Universe see them? or do I have to look specifically on the airlines website?
6. I followed the "Booking with BA" guide here and found that the cheapest business class ticket would be like 10k. This seems odd. Any ideas for what I'm doing wrong?
7. Is this points avenue something I should explore? As in, do you think these flights would be drastically cheaper in terms of somebody selling me their points?

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Are you looking just to book a one-way to California, or will this be a roundtrip? If the latter, do you need to return to the same city from which you depart, or can you do an "open-jaw"? And if a roundtrip, is your stated budget for a roundtrip, or for a one-way?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Premium Fare Deals" sub-forum here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

One way. Sorry I didn't specify.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check April 16 on TAP from BCN or DUB.

If desired, you might be able to get a multi-day stopover at LIS for little extra.

The flight from BCN is an early-morning departure with a same-day connection; the flight from DUB involves an overnight connection. Either should be available in Business for a little over $1,000 USD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.