FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   California (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california-450/)
-   -   North or South after Half Moon Bay stay at the Ritz-Carlton (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california/1921241-north-south-after-half-moon-bay-stay-ritz-carlton.html)

philemer Jul 22, 2018 7:57 pm

North or South after Half Moon Bay stay at the Ritz-Carlton

We're thinking of celebrating our 50th at the Ritz-Carlton in Half Moon Bay (2 or 3 nights) next May and then heading either N. or S. for a couple days. We'll fly in and out of SJC and rent a car. We visited Monterey two years ago and we've "done" San Francisco.

Which direction would you take? We're not hikers or bikers but enjoy different types of scenery.

RichardInSF Jul 24, 2018 11:57 am

Maybe Mendocino to the north or Carmel Valley to the south?

philemer Jul 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 30008521)
Maybe Mendocino to the north or Carmel Valley to the south?

Mendocino is bit too far away for our short trip (1 wk). We visited Monterey & Carmel 2 yrs ago but didn't see everything we wanted to.

How about a 2 nights in Santa Cruz area and then a couple nights in Carmel area? Then back to SJC for the flt home. Reasonable?

TWA884 Jul 24, 2018 7:25 pm

How about the Ventana Inn in big Sur?

philemer Jul 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 30010023)
How about the Ventana Inn in big Sur?

Too far south. Using Marriott pts for the Ritz. Need to use some before they devalue even more. :)

Need Jul 25, 2018 8:28 am

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 30010100)
Too far south. Using Marriott pts for the Ritz. Need to use some before they devalue even more. :)

Las Alcobas, Napa Valley?

It's a SPG Luxury Collection, so you can use your Marriott points.

philemer Jul 25, 2018 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Need (Post 30011623)
Las Alcobas, Napa Valley?

It's a SPG Luxury Collection, so you can use your Marriott points.

Thanks, I'll look at that. Beautiful area.

RichardInSF Jul 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 30009976)
Mendocino is bit too far away for our short trip (1 wk). We visited Monterey & Carmel 2 yrs ago but didn't see everything we wanted to.

How about a 2 nights in Santa Cruz area and then a couple nights in Carmel area? Then back to SJC for the flt home. Reasonable?

I don't think there are any really nice hotels in Santa Cruz. The Beach Boardwalk is a day trip if you like old style amusement parks. Carmel Valley is mostly for resorts, it's not at all like Carmel itself. There are a few area parks with pleasant day hikes.

philemer Jul 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 30012900)
I don't think there are any really nice hotels in Santa Cruz. The Beach Boardwalk is a day trip if you like old style amusement parks. Carmel Valley is mostly for resorts, it's not at all like Carmel itself. There are a few area parks with pleasant day hikes.

Thanks. We did drive into Carmel Valley also. Stopped at a few wine tasting spots. Any particular resorts that you've stayed at and would recommend?
Probably won't stay at Marriott/SPG every night.

RichardInSF Jul 26, 2018 12:30 pm

The highest rated Carmel Valley hotel I think is Bernardus Lodge. Have never stayed there. Somewhat below that are Carmel Valley Ranch and Quail Lodge. I've stayed at the latter long ago and it was OK back then.

If you go to Carmel Valley, the Robert Talbott Outlet, the only one they have, is hidden in a random mall along the main road. Robert Talbott makes high quality clothes. I am not into shopping but have still always found this to be worth a stop.