Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

North or South after Half Moon Bay stay at the Ritz-Carlton

North or South after Half Moon Bay stay at the Ritz-Carlton

Old Jul 22, 18, 7:57 pm
  #1  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,138
North or South after Half Moon Bay stay at the Ritz-Carlton

We're thinking of celebrating our 50th at the Ritz-Carlton in Half Moon Bay (2 or 3 nights) next May and then heading either N. or S. for a couple days. We'll fly in and out of SJC and rent a car. We visited Monterey two years ago and we've "done" San Francisco.

Which direction would you take? We're not hikers or bikers but enjoy different types of scenery.
philemer is offline  
Old Jul 24, 18, 11:57 am
  #2  
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 17,053
Maybe Mendocino to the north or Carmel Valley to the south?
RichardInSF is offline  
Old Jul 24, 18, 7:05 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,138
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
Maybe Mendocino to the north or Carmel Valley to the south?
Mendocino is bit too far away for our short trip (1 wk). We visited Monterey & Carmel 2 yrs ago but didn't see everything we wanted to.

How about a 2 nights in Santa Cruz area and then a couple nights in Carmel area? Then back to SJC for the flt home. Reasonable?
philemer is offline  
Old Jul 24, 18, 7:25 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 11,801
How about the Ventana Inn in big Sur?
TWA884 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 18, 7:54 pm
  #5  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,138
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
How about the Ventana Inn in big Sur?
Too far south. Using Marriott pts for the Ritz. Need to use some before they devalue even more.
philemer is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 8:28 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,906
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Too far south. Using Marriott pts for the Ritz. Need to use some before they devalue even more.
Las Alcobas, Napa Valley?

It's a SPG Luxury Collection, so you can use your Marriott points.
Need is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 10:38 am
  #7  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,138
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Las Alcobas, Napa Valley?

It's a SPG Luxury Collection, so you can use your Marriott points.
Thanks, I'll look at that. Beautiful area.
philemer is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 2:11 pm
  #8  
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 17,053
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Mendocino is bit too far away for our short trip (1 wk). We visited Monterey & Carmel 2 yrs ago but didn't see everything we wanted to.

How about a 2 nights in Santa Cruz area and then a couple nights in Carmel area? Then back to SJC for the flt home. Reasonable?
I don't think there are any really nice hotels in Santa Cruz. The Beach Boardwalk is a day trip if you like old style amusement parks. Carmel Valley is mostly for resorts, it's not at all like Carmel itself. There are a few area parks with pleasant day hikes.
RichardInSF is offline  
Old Jul 25, 18, 3:15 pm
  #9  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,138
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
I don't think there are any really nice hotels in Santa Cruz. The Beach Boardwalk is a day trip if you like old style amusement parks. Carmel Valley is mostly for resorts, it's not at all like Carmel itself. There are a few area parks with pleasant day hikes.
Thanks. We did drive into Carmel Valley also. Stopped at a few wine tasting spots. Any particular resorts that you've stayed at and would recommend?
Probably won't stay at Marriott/SPG every night.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 25, 18 at 4:06 pm
philemer is offline  
Old Jul 26, 18, 12:30 pm
  #10  
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 17,053
The highest rated Carmel Valley hotel I think is Bernardus Lodge. Have never stayed there. Somewhat below that are Carmel Valley Ranch and Quail Lodge. I've stayed at the latter long ago and it was OK back then.

If you go to Carmel Valley, the Robert Talbott Outlet, the only one they have, is hidden in a random mall along the main road. Robert Talbott makes high quality clothes. I am not into shopping but have still always found this to be worth a stop.
RichardInSF is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread