Joshua Tree NP - worth a visit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Joshua Tree NP - worth a visit?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by boxo
I need some advice about JTNP in the heat of August. My cousin has almost talked me out of it.

My nephew in Iowa will be out for a visit in California before he starts college third week of August. One place on his list is San Diego. We'll do that for 2-3 days, then Amtrak train/bus to Palm Springs, pick up a rental car and drive to Holiday Inn Express Twentynine Palms for 3 nights. I envision going out in the early mornings, spending the high heat of the afternoon back at the hotel room/pool, going out again for sunsets and late-night star and moon gazing, then two nights in Palm Springs before flying back to SFO.

My home airport is Monterey where the temps are a sunny 70-ish with afternoon/evening fog, similar to San Francisco. The 100+ degree high dry desert heat might be too unbearable, but if this is our chance to go, I want to go. Am I crazy for considering his? Should I look for alternative destination(s) to add onto San Diego? Also, Amtrak has a 2-for-1 roomette/bedroom sale on this week, so somewhere on the Coast Starlight route or the California Zephyr are options.
100+ degree dry heat is not really that bad but I go thru that every summer and used to it by now. SF and Monterey are both very cold to me in the summer LOL. Although I am not sure you want to spend 5 nights in Palm Springs and Joshua Tree area, unless you really really like the desert experience.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Thanks very much for your replies.

I want my Midwestern nephew to ride Amtrak. Living in Iowa, train travel is not an experience he could have out there. It's not even on his radar; he doesn't even know it should be on his to-do list. Most of the journey between San Diego and Fullerton is along the scenic coast, and I will book Business Class for a little extra comfort.

This is my very general idea of our itinerary. I've got these points pinned and then some on my Google Maps. Of course, we'll see how we go with the heat and adjust where necessary, plus check out the nearby towns.
Day 1 - arrive Palm Springs 1pm, pick up rental car, drive to Oasis Visitor Center which closes at 5pm, dinner, then Smith's Ranch Drive-in movies (a drive-in movie theater!)
Day 2 - Explore Split, Skull, and Jumbo Rocks early morning, bug out for Glass Outhouse Art Gallery and lunch/hotel, return to sunset at Arch Rock and Cholla Cactus Garden, star and moon gazing
Day 3 - Explore Ryan Ranch, Cap Rock, Barker Dam, Hidden Valley and Keys View early morning (or pre-sunset), bug out for Old Schoolhouse Museum and lunch/hotel, return for sunset and night sky
Day 4 - arrive Palm Springs by afternoon, Palm Springs Tramway before and during sunset
Day 5 - art and architecture museums, downtown, hotel and pool
Day 6 - flight to SFO

My drinking water plan is to bring from home two thermal tote bags to keep four gallon jugs cool in the car while in the park.

Two additional questions:
1) From where should we view sunset on Day 3?
2) Leaving for Palm Springs, should we take the southern exit or go back via Hwy 62? From what I've read, the south route is long and slow.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my experience, from 29 Palms it is significantly faster to take SR62 (which is a 4 lane road) to the interstate than to drive through the park.

On one of your days, you might want to take the geology self-guiding loop tour. Assuming that you won't have an off-road vehicle, your best sunset option will be from Keys View.
boxo likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Why do this in summer?

id instead just do a coast drive or go to Yosemite or SEKI.

save Zjodhua tree and Death Valley for spring break.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JT, at 3000' elevation, will also be slightly cooler than Palm Springs at 500' elevation, but it's really the dryness you have to watch out for. You often don't feel all that hot in high temp/low humidity because your sweat evaporates very quickly, but you can get dehydrated pretty easily if you aren't paying attention. If you're out hiking it's not a bad idea to have a hydration backpack with 2-3 L of water. A GPS that records waypoints is also good - you can use a dedicated GPS or any of many GPS apps on a smartphone- people do get lost quickly id they go off trail, so you need a way to find the trail again.

The tramway will give you a very sharp environmental contrast from the pine forest at 8500' to the desert in Palm Springs.
boxo likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by djp98374
Why do this in summer?

id instead just do a coast drive or go to Yosemite or SEKI.

save Zjodhua tree and Death Valley for spring break.
Yosemite in August with only two months' advance planning? Far less than ideal for finding lodging, to put it mildly.

Anyhow, not to be presumptuous, I gather that this is a unique opportunity to see the SoCal desert that may or may not recur.

Not that I myself would go to the SoCal desert in August, but if I did, I would bring not only water but also salty snacks (well, most packaged snacks are salty) to help replenish electrolytes. Or maybe electrolyte-replacement tablets/capsules.

And yeah, the tramway ride in Palm Springs is a must-do.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Yosemite in August with only two months' advance planning? Far less than ideal for finding lodging, to put it mildly.

Anyhow, not to be presumptuous, I gather that this is a unique opportunity to see the SoCal desert that may or may not recur.

Not that I myself would go to the SoCal desert in August, but if I did, I would bring not only water but also salty snacks (well, most packaged snacks are salty) to help replenish electrolytes. Or maybe electrolyte-replacement tablets/capsules.

And yeah, the tramway ride in Palm Springs is a must-do.
Exactly right, KW. Yosemite would have been preferred, but at this late date, I'd have to sell my imaginary car to afford in-park accommodation if there's anything left to book. And we don't know what my nephew's potential work schedule will be like during his spring break. If he can get away, he's more likely to want to tick MLB Spring Training in Scottsdale with his friends off his bucketlist than spend the short week in California.

Originally Posted by chrisl137
JT, at 3000' elevation, will also be slightly cooler than Palm Springs at 500' elevation, but it's really the dryness you have to watch out for. You often don't feel all that hot in high temp/low humidity because your sweat evaporates very quickly, but you can get dehydrated pretty easily if you aren't paying attention. If you're out hiking it's not a bad idea to have a hydration backpack with 2-3 L of water. A GPS that records waypoints is also good - you can use a dedicated GPS or any of many GPS apps on a smartphone- people do get lost quickly id they go off trail, so you need a way to find the trail again.

The tramway will give you a very sharp environmental contrast from the pine forest at 8500' to the desert in Palm Springs.
I hadn't looked up JTNP's elevation. Thanks for that.

We won't be doing any serious hiking. More like taking in the sights/sites with the short < 1-mile walks from the road or parking lots.

Ironically, we are having a records-breaking heat wave right now, September weather in June. It was 99F at my house yesterday and 101F today.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 10, 2019 at 3:45 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
In August at Yosemite...you look st high elevation areas of tioga pass and get lodging in lee vining or mammoth lakes.

you can stay in one of the gateway towns to visit Yosemite.

dont forget..its monsoon season in the desert thrn. The remains of an east pacific hurtucsne can cause desert flooding.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Desert in the summer is awesome if you're prepared for it. Just plain old salt isn't bad as a salt replacement. A little in a glass of ice water tastes pretty good when it's hot and dry, and salted lemon or limeade is excellent (some of the vietnamese restaurants around LA serve salted limeade), and salted watermelon is nice with a really cold watermelon. A few bananas help with potassium replacement. And doing it with fruit or fruity juices is much more appealing in the heat than dry salty snacks - if you get a little dehydrated, the salty snacks aren't appealing and so you'll eat less of them.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Desert in the summer is awesome if you're prepared for it. Just plain old salt isn't bad as a salt replacement. A little in a glass of ice water tastes pretty good when it's hot and dry, and salted lemon or limeade is excellent (some of the vietnamese restaurants around LA serve salted limeade), and salted watermelon is nice with a really cold watermelon. A few bananas help with potassium replacement. And doing it with fruit or fruity juices is much more appealing in the heat than dry salty snacks - if you get a little dehydrated, the salty snacks aren't appealing and so you'll eat less of them.
Good point about bananas & other fruit/juices for electrolyte replenishment.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done a lot of stupid things in the desert heat.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
In August at Yosemite...you look st high elevation areas of tioga pass and get lodging in lee vining or mammoth lakes.

you can stay in one of the gateway towns to visit Yosemite.

dont forget..its monsoon season in the desert thrn. The remains of an east pacific hurtucsne can cause desert flooding.
You REALLY don't want us going to JTNP.

The logistics getting from San Diego to Merced/Yosemite without a car is too long and complicated, and honestly I don't want to go there during summer months for the crowds.

We'd most likely take Emergen-C packets with us, but bananas are also a regular course in my household. My 75 year old dad is a former marathon runner and still runs most days of the week, so we're well-versed in hydration and replenishment.

Nothing about my plan is definite. My nephew's ticket out to California hasn't even been booked yet because his high school baseball season is in full swing til mid-July, and the championship games run til the end of July. As of now, 2 weeks into the season, they don't look like they'd make the playoffs, but his parents are optimistically and respectfully waiting.

Anywho, thanks to you all for the much appreciated advice and tips.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: Nothing spectacular
If that's the goal, go to the album image tree instead (it's in Death Valley... or was).
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Bees forcing shutdown of Keys View in Joshua Tree National Park beginning Monday

A high number of buzzing insects has arisen in the Keys View area, which is perched at 5,185 feet and has a spectacular view of the Coachella Valley, from Palm Springs to the Salton Sea. As a result, access will close June 24 through July 2 due to concerns over visitor safety.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theflyingguyblog
If that's the goal, go to the album image tree instead (it's in Death Valley... or was).
Where are the Joshua Trees in Death Valley? I have been to the park a number of times and don't remember any, although admittedly I wasn't on the lookout for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.