Search

Fort Tejon...last chance to see!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Fort Tejon...last chance to see!!!!!

Fort Tejon, a California State Historic Park is closing!

Located in Lebec, Ca, east of the mouth of Grapevien Canyon about 15 miles. The purpose of the fort was to halt the exploitation of the Indians on Sebastian Indian Reservation. The fort was closed officially on September 11, 1864, and now yet again.

Over 50,000 cars pass on the I-5 each day. Many stop, but usually to use the bathrooms and move on. This has been especially true for the last couple years, since the State of California closed the rest stop nearby.

Military buffs and civil war followers of minor facts can still sneak in a visit in June...then forget it! $3 fee requested. Don't know where the bus tour will stop in the future!? No more free comfort stops. Several of the building are left to view, however things are not in prime shape. Lots of rifles, uniforms and other reminants can still be view.

Expect vandalism to "level" the remains of the park before the end of a year or two. Maybe it does not deserve to survive? At least Leslie and I got the chance to take the self guided tour while it was available.

As a side note, the same thing is happening to the Federal Properties. We continue to undercharge for the use of many such sites, and now Your kids and theirs many never see these wonders. June 10-11 there will be a special on the National Parks. Demand that the Senior pass be raised from $10 lifetime to $1000, before all the baby boomers trample the sites forever. User fees should cover the operating costs and maintaince costs (keep toi paper in the restrooms and pay for security and pamphlets). See the ruins in Rome, as they disappear...our will folllow and are much more fragile. IMHO
Old May 28, 2012, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are a whole bunch of State Parks that the Gov has proposed to "temporarily" close, I think the number is something like 70. State Sen. Joe Simitian has a bill that would cancel the closure for most of them, but I don't know the odds of it passing.

Fort Tejon is pleasant, but there are many other state parks on that list as well. Here's the full list:

http://www.calparks.org/takeaction/park-closures/
Old May 30, 2012, 10:43 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
The key to the post is to visit NOW, if you EVER want to see this site and its exhibits.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please - keep political discussion on OMNI.

/JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old May 30, 2012, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Darn, I have a post deleted the day before I become a mod (not in this forum, at least)! I better smack myself for that. Point well taken, though.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ROFL! It was merely a reply to a deleted post... Welcome to the Moderator team; now YOU get the AMP/RBPs!

FT Moderator at Work - that's us!

and welcome aboard!

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Darn, I have a post deleted the day before I become a mod (not in this forum, at least)! I better smack myself for that. Point well taken, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.