Wiki Posts
Search

Yosemite late May, 2019 road closures

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Yosemite late May, 2019 road closures

The NPS has closed 2 of the 3 west side entrance roads due to late season snow. SR 41, the Wawona Road, is closed near Wawona and SR 120 is closed near El Portal. This leaves SR 140 through Mariposa as the only open entry to the Park for the rest of the Memorial Day holiday weekend. The east side entrance via Tioga Pass remains closed.

The closures will be assessed daily but weather conditions remain iffy for the next few days.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Both highways are back open for now. Visitors should check the website before traveling either as new closures could happen at any time.
trooper likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:48 am

Anyone have any thoughts on when SR 120 will open up for the Eastside entrance? I am doing a trip of Bristlecone pines -> Yosemite -> Lake Tahoe so would be hugely out of the way to not be able to enter on the Eastside. I have never been to Yosemite but am considering adjusting our itinerary if the the Eastside entrance doesn't open. Just based on how much snow and looking at the Tioga Pass updates online, it doesn't look promising. We are traveling in mid-June but would have to cancel Yosemite hotel by June 9th to not get charged cancellation fee.

Edit: I see in the Yosemite $300 hotel thread that you and someone think it won't be open in June which was my fear. Do you have any recommendations of how you would adjust the trip? We were going to stay just outside Yosemite for two nights. We are flying in from LA and leaving from Reno so have to move South -> North. I guess my considerations were staying a night in Mammoth Lakes and adding a night to Tahoe (stay South, we are already doing two nights in Incline Village). Thanks.

Last edited by Txstars; May 28, 2019 at 12:15 pm Reason: More info found
Old May 28, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Really, the only alternatives would be to go back south on SR 395 to cross the Sierra at Tehachapi Pass near Mojave, then drive back north to Yosemite through the Central Valley - or go north to SR 50 and cross there before driving south to Yosemite through the same Central Valley. I would probably choose to go south to the desert and cross at Tehachapi because I know that route will be open. The more northerly route via Echo Summit is usually open but will be iffy. Yosemite might not be worth it this time.

Really, you may want to be absolutely certain that the Bristlecone Pine Area is open for your visit. It is over 10,000 feet. They don't get near as much snow in the White Mountains as in the neighboring Sierra but they do get some.
Old May 28, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Really, the only alternatives would be to go back south on SR 395 to cross the Sierra at Tehachapi Pass near Mojave, then drive back north to Yosemite through the Central Valley - or go north to SR 50 and cross there before driving south to Yosemite through the same Central Valley. I would probably choose to go south to the desert and cross at Tehachapi because I know that route will be open. The more northerly route via Echo Summit is usually open but will be iffy. Yosemite might not be worth it this time.

Really, you may want to be absolutely certain that the Bristlecone Pine Area is open for your visit. It is over 10,000 feet. They don't get near as much snow in the White Mountains as in the neighboring Sierra but they do get some.
Thanks for the advice. I've confirmed Bristlecone Pine area has opened back up already. I suppose we will just figure out spending our two extra days between the Bristlecone Pines and Tahoe someone on or around SR 395. SR 395 itself should be fine to get from South Cali to North Tahoe, right? Its just the Tioga Pass to cross East-West in Yosemite that's the issue?
Old May 28, 2019, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Yup. I haven't heard of any closures on 395 other than occasional temporary stops during storms. The other thing you will want to know about is chain restrictions. They are almost never required in June but this has been a weird year. I'd keep checking Caltrans road conditions as your dates get closer. Division of Traffic Operations - Road Information - California Highway Information
Old May 28, 2019, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr

I think that SR88 is an all year road as well, and it is shorter than going all the way to 50. But it is entirely two lane, whereas 50 has a fair number of 4 lane segments.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Txstars
Anyone have any thoughts on when SR 120 will open up for the Eastside entrance? I am doing a trip of Bristlecone pines -> Yosemite -> Lake Tahoe so would be hugely out of the way to not be able to enter on the Eastside. I have never been to Yosemite but am considering adjusting our itinerary if the the Eastside entrance doesn't open. Just based on how much snow and looking at the Tioga Pass updates online, it doesn't look promising. We are traveling in mid-June but would have to cancel Yosemite hotel by June 9th to not get charged cancellation fee.

Edit: I see in the Yosemite $300 hotel thread that you and someone think it won't be open in June which was my fear. Do you have any recommendations of how you would adjust the trip? We were going to stay just outside Yosemite for two nights. We are flying in from LA and leaving from Reno so have to move South -> North. I guess my considerations were staying a night in Mammoth Lakes and adding a night to Tahoe (stay South, we are already doing two nights in Incline Village). Thanks.
Your best bet is to keep checking the plowing and avalanche clearing reports. https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm has some good info and a phone number that might give you up-to-date info.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I think that SR88 is an all year road as well, and it is shorter than going all the way to 50. But it is entirely two lane, whereas 50 has a fair number of 4 lane segments.
We took 88 from Tahoe to Jackson 2 weeks ago. There were signs describing a closure East of the 89/88 interchange. Best to check if its open all the way to the Eastern valley.

BTW, we drove it in a front wheel drive Sentra. In a snow storm. It was white knuckle driving over the Kit Carson Pass. We saw about 1 car every 20 minutes or so. Make sure you have plenty of gas, because theres a long way between gas stations.

But if it wasnt snowing or windy, its probably a decent road.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
We took 88 from Tahoe to Jackson 2 weeks ago. There were signs describing a closure East of the 89/88 interchange. Best to check if its open all the way to the Eastern valley.

BTW, we drove it in a front wheel drive Sentra. In a snow storm. It was white knuckle driving over the Kit Carson Pass. We saw about 1 car every 20 minutes or so. Make sure you have plenty of gas, because theres a long way between gas stations.

But if it wasnt snowing or windy, its probably a decent road.
Yeah, I forgot about that leg sometimes closing, but the rest of 88 is generally kept open as it is the "official" highway for high height vehicles wanting to cross the Sierra. There are special restrictions on overhead cables on that road. You can still take 88 to 89 to US50 and overall it will remain a shorter drive than doing 50 all the way.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:57 am
Original Poster

NPS announced that the Tioga Pass Road (Highway 120) will be open starting today, Friday June 21, 2019, for two hours per day only. The route will open from 10 am to 11 am and from 3 pm to 4 pm daily until further notice. The route will be closed other times to allow for continuing snow removal efforts. There are NO services and NO parking permitted anywhere along the entire route.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:40 am
Original Poster

The Tioga Pass Road through Yosemite will be open with NO restrictions starting at 8:00 am on Monday, July 1, 2019.

Services such as campgrounds, visitor centers and stores will start opening for the season over the next few days and weeks.
DELee and RichardInSF like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick note to close this out.

The NPS has announced that the Tioga Pass Road, the Glacier Point Road and other high country routes are closed for the season due to snow. A number of higher elevation services and campgrounds are also closed. At least for the current holiday weekend, all western entrance routes via highways 41, 120 and 140 have chain requirements in place. That could change if the weather improves.

Yosemite Valley is beautiful in the winter and definitely worth a visit but visitors should be prepared for snow driving on the way in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.