Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest Way to Rent a Car

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Cheapest Way to Rent a Car

Does anyone have any ideas/ codes/ help regarding rental cars? I actually prefer to drive on my vacation as I haven't had a road trip in ages. I travel frequently for work so I have Starwood and Delta/NW points... but no rental car points - can I trade any of the above in?

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you visit the various rental car fora on FT, you will find advice for each company.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I'll move this over to the Budget Travel forum since it's about traveling cheaply, and not really about loyalty programs per se.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz moderator
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Welcome to FT akowalczuk. Cheapest way to rent a car is to let someone else rent the car
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I have been getting weekend compacts from Priceline and Hotwire (always Hertz and Budget so far) out of DCA for $12/day. No matter how many coupons I throw at Hertz, I can never match that kind of rate, so I forgo the Gold benefits and the miles. With the money I save, I could buy the miles from an airline and usually come out ahead.

You can redeem airline or credit card points for rental car certificates, but IME they are not a good deal. Using AmEx certs, for instance, would bump up the rate to the point where the savings from the certificate was almost negated, while disallowing coupon codes and disallowing Gold benefits anyway, while the redemption of miles for the certificate itself was a mediocre to poor deal ($0.01/mi).
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
You used to be able to convert American Express Membership Rewards points into rentals of various lengths at Thrifty, so there is at least a precedent for that sort of thing. I'm not sure what specific rental car awards are still out there, though, especially for your programs.

Be aware that if redeeming points for a rental car award, you are still responsible for the taxes on however the base rate is internally calculated by the rental company for the value of the award. In other words, if you book a rental car award and the rental company bills DL, SPG, AXMR, or whatever $250 for a week-long rental and the local rental car taxes at your pick-up point are 30%, you would be responsible to pay $75 to the rental company when you pick your car up.

Still, it's better than paying $250+$25=$325 for the same week, but in some instances (Alaska in the middle of the summer, for example, on a fullsize car at a base rate of $500 per week, where your taxes would be about $180), it hardly qualifies as a budget rental car!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Priceline and Hotwire; also...

www.vroomvroomvroom.com

www.carrentals.com
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
OP, can you give us more detail about your origin (and, if it's different, destination), time period, length of rental, etc.? Might be able to help you find a promotion that helps.

If your needs are not specific (i.e. you don't care about the company), Priceline and Hotwire's bidding systems work very well--probably better than anything we can come up with, though.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Priceline is usually the cheapest option bar none.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Avoid the onerous airport taxes/fees by renting from a neighborhood location.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 9:13 am
Original Poster

More Detail

You guys are amazing!!! Thank you so much. Regarding the question about more detail - what I am doing is meeting my friends at the OBX (Outerbanks in NC)... and I'm leaving from nyc. So I will be leaving on a Friday, and probably coming back on the Tuesday or Wednesday after Memorial Day. I know it's a long drive ,but again, it's just because I haven't done a road trip in ages, that I am enticed to do so.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Be careful driving through VA. The State Troopers work in pairs so when you see one there is always another close by. Travel safe.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by akowalczuk
I'm leaving from nyc. So I will be leaving on a Friday, and probably coming back on the Tuesday or Wednesday after Memorial Day. I know it's a long drive ,but again, it's just because I haven't done a road trip in ages, that I am enticed to do so.
If you rent a car in Manhattan for a holiday weekend (or pretty much any weekend), expect to pay a small fortune. If I were making this trip, and not carrying too much luggage, I would seriously consider taking NJ Transit from Penn Station to Metropark, Edison, or New Brunswick, and renting from Avis or Enterprise down there. You will likely save two or three hundred dollars by doing so, and you'll avoid having to drive in and out of Manhattan.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
You will likely save two or three hundred dollars by doing so, and you'll avoid having to drive in and out of Manhattan.
Kinda what I was thinking. Just an educated guess on my part, but there's a reason rental car companies and hotels offer deals on weekends - biz travelers. NYC, OTOH, people who don't have cars probably want to rent one to get out of town on Saturday and Sunday.

EmailKid
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I just did a quick cost comparison on the Avis site for a five-day rental of a compact car from May 22 to May 27. If you rent from, and return to, Avis in Manhattan, the cost is $602 all in. If you rent from, and return to, the Avis in the Hyatt Regency New Brunswick, the cost is $194 all in. (Optional insurance coverages, like LDW and SLI are additional at each location, of course.)

An off-peak, roundtrip train ticket from Manhattan to New Brunswick costs $17.75, which should be covered by the gas and toll savings associated with renting from and returning to New Brunswick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.