Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Road tripping in Amerika: Cheap Food

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Back in the 70's some friends were commuting daily to a Wyoming coal mine. They knew which road kill was fresh.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Not quite as extreme as some of you, but when I used to road trip in the US with my wife (fairly regularly until a couple of years ago) it blew me away that we could both get lunch at Taco Bell and still get change back from a fiver.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
One of my grad school professors reported having to do this back when he was in grad school; he'd go to a cafe and order hot water, make ketchup soup, and eat their crackers (that was back when crackers were left out, apparently).
Ha - my dad told me the same story of his grad school days. Free "tomato" soup.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:01 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by CKA1
Most of the better campsites offer pay-per-use showers, but you can't park there overnight, obviously.
Ha,

back when I used to drive from Alberta to university in Texas I'd pull into a campground late at night when no one was around and leave before anyone was up.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Get a jar of peanut butter for cheap and easy protein that can last the whole trip. Goes great with discounted bread and no need for refrigeration or heating.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Many places have lunch specials that are a really good deal. The other things is, there are often delis that offer amazing take out food at very low cost, such as in Burlington, Vermont. This August, I completed the full length of route US-9 from Champlain at the top of New York State, all the way down to Laurel in Maryland.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in most of US - diners (and other local non-chain)

as others mentioned - grocery stores
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Get a jar of peanut butter for cheap and easy protein that can last the whole trip. Goes great with discounted bread and no need for refrigeration or heating.
Or.....you can travel with olive oil....just like Popeye!
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Ha,

back when I used to drive from Alberta to university in Texas I'd pull into a campground late at night when no one was around and leave before anyone was up.
Yep, good trick. As is pitching a tent near enough someone else's campsite it could be confused as part of it without being so close you annoy the people in the campsite.

Visited Key West while still a student, and dropped by the visitors center to try to find a reasonably priced hotel - which of course didn't exist on that busy weekend (this was before you used to do much booking online). A guy about my age was trying to help me, and I was basically saying "You gotta be sh!tting me!" about the prices. He agreed, and said, "Look, don't tell anyone I told you this, but if you drive over here," pointing to a spot on the map, "you can pull your car in behind the first line of trees and sleep in you car and you won't get hassled. And the xxx store has sleeping bags on sale for $8 this week. Get a shower at the beach across the road in the morning."

Worked like a charm.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
Originally Posted by Concerto
Many places have lunch specials that are a really good deal. The other things is, there are often delis that offer amazing take out food at very low cost, such as in Burlington, Vermont. This August, I completed the full length of route US-9 from Champlain at the top of New York State, all the way down to Laurel in Maryland.
I think you mean Laurel, Delaware right? US 1 goes through Laurel, MD, whereas US 9 goes through Delaware.

In regards to the original topic, maybe I'm too used to high food prices around Washington, DC, but I was genuinely shocked that I could eat a decent wait-served meal at Cracker Barrel for less than $15 (the dish was roughly $8, I drank only water, and I tipped $3 to the waiter, which is 38% gratuity, so the waiter was properly taken care of).

Compare this to Subway where you're paying $10 for fast service food.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:27 pm

This may be fine dining compared to what people are talking about here, but if you're looking to splurge there's always Waffle House!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Visited Key West while still a student, and dropped by the visitors center to try to find a reasonably priced hotel - which of course didn't exist on that busy weekend (this was before you used to do much booking online). A guy about my age was trying to help me, and I was basically saying "You gotta be sh!tting me!" about the prices. He agreed, and said, "Look, don't tell anyone I told you this, but if you drive over here," pointing to a spot on the map, "you can pull your car in behind the first line of trees and sleep in you car and you won't get hassled. And the xxx store has sleeping bags on sale for $8 this week. Get a shower at the beach across the road in the morning."
Some Wal-Marts, like the one in FAI, have sections for overnight parking. You might get an electrical plug but that's about it. Truck stops might have showers (not free but cheap).

Besides the college experiences, Tahiti was a tough place for eating affordably. When I was there even a regular cheeseburger, fries and small drink at McDonald's was $8.50, or $11+ for the Big Mac meal. You could buy a baguette and lunch meat and keep it under $10, and food trucks were generally $10-12-ish but often better food and value. Moorea had less to choose from.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Taco Bell black bean burritos for less than $2.50 are an inexpensive and tasty alternative to meaty fast food.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I am afraid you lost me after Taco Bell .....
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Poster

I just finished a 3000 mile road trip in the wilds of flyover country. Using an actual paper road atlas, I look for isolated squiggly lines and explore hidden Amerika. My diet is smart fat and reduced carbs. Most small towns have Dollar Generals, Pizza Huts, Subways* and sometimes Sonics. Not much to get passionate about, however vagabonds must be resourceful. Often even obscure roads intersect with generic interstate-Amerika where more fast food choices, while excellent for Metabolic Syndrome, distract from longevity.......

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I am afraid you lost me after Taco Bell .....
Taco Bell offers non-meat choices for those who wish to avoid animal fat and mad cow disease. Presented with few healthy choices in a culinary deprived locale, the Taco Bell black bean burrito (TB-BBB) is a welcome if uninspired opportunity for sustenance in the Trumpian wilderness.

TB-BBB's instant rice, pseudo cheese, black beans, sauce and tortilla are way better than any McD, W or BK fare.

I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons. I want to try a TB-BBB fresco with guacamole: instant rice, pico de gallo, black beans, omega-9 and tortilla. This, however is a little advanced, TB-BBB's are not an advertised menu item at TB and are made incorrectly about 20% of the time. We just have to be patient.....Charles Kuralt would understand.

* An India-native motel manager in Antlers, OK suggested a veggie Subway with toasted onions, green peppers and cheese before putting on the other stuff.

------------------------------------------------

ETA: After extensive local field testing, my TB preference is a fresco black bean burrito. However, for sheer bulk, a $1 cheesy bean and rice burrito is hard to beat.

I've also been investigating Pizza Hut opportunities. Appears Violife "cheese" is a new option. So if one could apply a coupon code (like from retailmenot.com), a $6 medium vegan or animal-fat-light pie might be a option.

And let's not forget, Wendy's salads are a decent choice.

----------------------------------------------

The Taco Bell black bean burrito will soon be discontinued. Gonna have to experiment. Maybe a bean burrito, fresco with rice and potatoes?

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Mar 22, 2019 at 4:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.