Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

4 separate BA ticket purchases in quick succession - need to advise Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I expect to buy four different MFUs shortly and of course want to use my BA Amex.

I would be very grateful if members could please advise me on whether or not I need to call Amex and tell them to expect these transactions to appear. I was thinking that Amex might think this behaviour 'unusual' and block my card. What do you think?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I expect to buy four different MFUs shortly and of course want to use my BA Amex.

I would be very grateful if members could please advise me on whether or not I need to call Amex and tell them to expect these transactions to appear. I was thinking that Amex might think this behaviour 'unusual' and block my card. What do you think?

Many thanks in advance.
Might be a good idea. Mine just got refused for 2 identical purchases on the AA.com site.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Definitely ring them. They've started randomly blocking transactions on my card and considering how hard it can be to get through to them after a block, I'd say better safe than sorry.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
I have the number to get straight through to a person to unblock it, it happens to me so often
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
I would say yes.

I do not have a BA Amex, would not touch Amex with a skanky barge pole... However, have had my own credit and debit card blocked on several occasions when making transactions. Have been left away from base with no Debit card due to using it abroad...

I just put the deposit down on the accommodation for our trip to SFO, $1150, and rang the bank to tell them to expect the transaction to appear in the next few days, and the lady told me that it was a good thing to do.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:36 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
It is always prudent to advise the credit card company of any transactions that are outside of one's normal activity and also when travelling overseas.

A quick 'phone can save lots of hassle and possible embarrassment....
Old Dec 31, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Another yes from me about giving AMEX a phone call.

My card got blocked last year when i went on a bit of a online shopping spree. Booked a flight with BA, 2 x Eurostar tickets, Hotel in the U.S within the space of 15 - 20 mins, when it then came to booking a flight with Virgin America the next day the transaction kept getting refused. A quick phone call to AMEX and it turned out a block had been put on my account due to unusual spending habits.

So yes a phone call to AMEX maybe a sensible thing to do.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I would advise telling any credit card folks about unusual patterns, as it can trigger a fraud response, they usually ring your relevant number to see what is going on. If you are away and have started the trip you will not be happy because without a comment to ok it from you they may cancel it on safety grounds. I have had a few calls to my mobile when abroad from them ( when not in my normal countries)

I also got called once because 3 bookings had just gone through for Hertz on the same day. I was setting up a few weeks of travels and there were a few flights being booked too - but it was the car hire that triggered it. I travel a lot and the fraud guy got through to me in the office as I was at my desk. When I explained what I was doing, and pointed out that I rent with Hertz over 30 times a year (Presidents Circle) and even I was surprised that that spend was the trigger. They have (i believe) a fairly thorough note of my patterns, but if I am going well off the normal I would call them still.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I booked tickets to a group at the O2 Dome one morning and then that evening tried to book a season at the English National Opera. Tried again the next morning and still no luck. Contemplated going to the box office, but thought I'd try calling Amex. Yes, they had blocked the card.

Interesting however, I purchased a variety of kitchen whitegoods from various retailers on the net in the same week, totalling a hell of lot more than the music/opera tickets and that didn't trigger there fraud pattern alert. ENO and O2 Dome I've purchased from loads of times before. Morale of the story is, if card blocked - call!
Old Jan 1, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks folks! I will definitely give them a call.

EDITED TO ADD
I gave them a call - the agent understood perfectly, asked which airline it was, did a lot of keyboard tapping and I made my bookings immediately afterwards without any problem.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Jan 6, 2010 at 7:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.