FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   URGENT!! Le Meridien Khao Lak for 50p a night!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/631760-urgent-le-meridien-khao-lak-50p-night.html)

GUWonder Dec 4, 2006 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 6790035)
In general, FT history shows that people who book errors for 2-3 days are allowed to keep their bookings, but people who take the p*ss get a full cancellation .......

Is that what happens generally?

Of the most extensive bookings with which I've been familiar (or gotten in on) -- I'm thinking of people who booked months upon months at $0.01 - $20/night -- they had no more or less issue with getting their bookings honored than others where the hotel didn't have months upon months of bookings at dirt-cheap rates. I've yet to discern a pattern but have only gotten in on a handful or two of these "specials". That said, my gut feeling is that LeMeridien deal won't be honored regardless of how many no-shows there are likely to be on these glitch rates. Hopefully, I'll be wrong. :)

GUWonder Dec 4, 2006 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Meerkat (Post 6793030)
Am I the only one who thinks that trying to take advantage of a ridiculously obvious data-entry error is somewhat pathetic? I mean, it's a bit of a giggle I grant you, but no doubt there'll be people up in arms (or in court) when Starwood tries to ask the not unreasonable question: "why would we, an American company, price hotel rates in Thailand in Ugandan Shillings?"

What's happened to us?

I don't think this one is going to go to court anywhere. Even the Starwood-Lanesborough debacle didn't go much that way .... and there was more facility in such pursuit than there'd be with this.

Swiss Tony Dec 4, 2006 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by ajinlondon (Post 6791395)
just so you know - i got it to price 3 mins ago

Still only pricing in USD for me :(

No, managed to find some, even a Villa for a few nights...

What to do, what to do.....

More Champagne Sir? Dec 7, 2006 6:46 am

Funny Update:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=480 :D

Serious Update:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=489 :eek:
Seems like a cop-out from Starwood to me. As far as I'm concerned, I have a contract and Starwood are obliged to fulfil their side of the contract. End of.

Raffles Dec 7, 2006 7:12 am

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? (Post 6808103)
Serious Update:
Seems like a cop-out from Starwood to me. As far as I'm concerned, I have a contract and Starwood are obliged to fulfil their side of the contract. End of.

$50 per night seems like a good deal to me!

ba bob Dec 7, 2006 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 6808220)
$50 per night seems like a good deal to me!

I totally agree, booked a room for me and one for the folks, and I would still be happy to go at $50 a night, as long as I still get the suite that I booked, not some crappy room overlooking the bins.

MCS? although you are right about the fact that there is a contract, there is something in law about Mans Rea (I think thats how you spell it) - means 'in guilty mind'. It could be argued that we have acted in this way here, as I certainly would not have booked it should it not have been for the rate that we got.

More Champagne Sir? Dec 7, 2006 7:37 am

Originally Posted by ba bob (Post 6808251)
MCS? although you are right about the fact that there is a contract, there is something in law about Mans Rea (I think thats how you spell it) - means 'in guilty mind'. It could be argued that we have acted in this way here, as I certainly would not have booked it should it not have been for the rate that we got.

MCS? stamps foot. :mad:

I know you guys are right and $50 does sound fair, but, well, it's not fair!! How come when we book a non-changeable fare on spg.com and then need to change it, they don't want to know? :rolleyes:

Oh, and regarding Mans Rea, does that mean I'm committing an offence everytime I buy two packs of pringles when they're on BOGOF? I wouldn't have bought the pringles if they weren't on that deal... ;)

J-Class Dec 7, 2006 7:45 am

Am I the only one who thinks that trying to take advantage of a ridiculously obvious data-entry error is somewhat pathetic? I mean, it's a bit of a giggle I grant you, but no doubt there'll be people up in arms (or in court) when Starwood tries to ask the not unreasonable question: "why would we, an American company, price hotel rates in Thailand in Ugandan Shillings?"

What's happened to us?

Meerkat, I couldn't agree with you more.

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 7:50 am

"why would we, an American company, price hotel rates in Thailand in Ugandan Shillings?"

Well, it's not too different than asking "why do European companies price hotel rates in Thailand in US dollars?" Yet it happens. :D Just that UGX isn't a standard currency for pricing in markets beyond it's home market or perhaps neighboring ones.

This was seemingly a case of UGX being next to USD in the currency listing selection. Human error, that is. Too bad that doesn't as systematically apply to those customers who try to cancel mistake bookings made through an American company for EUR-denominated hotel rates in Africa. :eek:

schofs Dec 7, 2006 8:34 am

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? (Post 6808103)
Serious Update:

This looks to me like a sincere effort - not a cop out. 25 quid a night is ridiculously cheap, and if I saw this rate, I'd still think it was a fare error!

Given that SPG could have (unwisely) turned around and cancelled your reservation because it was clearly a pricing error, what they've offered is in my mind as good as if they'd honoured the error rate.

jhm Dec 7, 2006 8:34 am

$50 a night for the Royal Suite (as some have booked) sounds like a great offer to me!

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jhm (Post 6808617)
$50 a night for the Royal Suite (as some have booked) sounds like a great offer to me!

Has Starwood or the hotel itself yet said that the $50/night rate is for the suites and villas? No. And $50/night for the regular rooms isn't much of a great offer.

jhm Dec 7, 2006 8:48 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 6808638)
Has Starwood or the hotel itself yet said that the $50/night rate is for the suites and villas? No.

I was going by SPG's e-mail to Jim Liu which seems to imply this:

We are prepared to offer you a rate of $50 USD per night for your reservation beginning
Friday 8 December, limited to your current reservation.

Arandora Dec 7, 2006 8:59 am

And $50/night for the regular rooms isn't much of a great offer.
$50 a night for a fabulous 5* resort on a fantastic tropical beach isn't much of a great offer!!! C'mon!!!! ....... and people expecting to get the Royal Villa (and there's only 1 of them!) for that and then complaining they might only get an "ordinary" room. There are only two 5* resorts in Khao Lak (remember the area in Thailand that suffered most in terms of death and destruction by the Tsunami?). The other is more expensive and you won't get a 3* for $50 in High Season!
If SPG honour their mistake by giving Deluxe rooms at $50 a night when the rate is usually $150, you should snap their hands off. To expect more is a tad unrealistic, don't you think?:confused:

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Arandora (Post 6808744)
$50 a night for a fabulous 5* resort on a fantastic tropical beach isn't much of a great offer!!! C'mon!!!! ....... and people expecting to get the Royal Villa (and there's only 1 of them!) for that and then complaining they might only get an "ordinary" room. There are only two 5* resorts in Khao Lak (remember the area in Thailand that suffered most in terms of death and destruction by the Tsunami?). The other is more expensive and you won't get a 3* for $50 in High Season!
If SPG honour their mistake by giving Deluxe rooms at $50 a night when the rate is usually $150, you should snap their hands off. To expect more is a tad unrealistic, don't you think?:confused:

Who said the Royal Villa will be given for $50/night? There's been no such mention by Starwood or the hotel that such will be the case even for those accepting a $50/night rate at the property. That is, there's been no mention that the accomodation booked will be the accomodation given at that amount. Getting an offer for $150 for 3 nights in a typical room is not such a great deal when 3 nights being provided for $200 in compensation is available.

Even before the tsunami, the hotel was getting paid c. $50 for a good number of regular rooms at the property at various times of the year. It may even still be the case for a number of rooms.

[And yes I remember the tsunami. After all, Sweden lost quite the number of people and it was all the news here with friends looking for family and friends and then having to plan their funerals.]