FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   URGENT!! Le Meridien Khao Lak for 50p a night!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/631760-urgent-le-meridien-khao-lak-50p-night.html)

More Champagne Sir? Dec 3, 2006 5:38 pm

URGENT!! Le Meridien Khao Lak for 50p a night!!

Guys,

Check out this thread in the Hotel Deals Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631551

**FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THREAD 9**

I've just booked 12 nights in August in a 2 bedroom Grand Villa, Private Pool, Beachfront, Plasma Tv 42 Inch, Jacuzzi.

Total price: 13,200 UGX = £3.65GBP :D :D

Hurry, whilst the offers still there......

Swiss Tony Dec 3, 2006 11:38 pm

Looks like this has gone - I can only get it to bring back rates in USD...

Congrats thou!

Raffles Dec 4, 2006 12:11 am

That was the easy bit.

Now you've got to find BA award availability!!

Scotland Dec 4, 2006 2:43 am

I have booked a villa and suite for 6 nights for my parents in Feb.

I have the Royal Suite for 3 months in March. Cost me a ridiculous amount but I can stretch to the £4.

Raffles Dec 4, 2006 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Scotland (Post 6788922)
I have booked a villa and suite for 6 nights for my parents in Feb.

I have the Royal Suite for 3 months in March. Cost me a ridiculous amount but I can stretch to the £4.

In general, FT history shows that people who book errors for 2-3 days are allowed to keep their bookings, but people who take the p*ss get a full cancellation .......

jhm Dec 4, 2006 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 6790035)
but people who take the p*ss get a full cancellation .......

... and also run the risk of spoiling it for others who've booked a few days if the hotel decies to try and deny all of the stays!

Scotland Dec 4, 2006 9:06 am

Sorry Raffles/JHM you are totally right. I meant 3 days, as three months would be more than "in March". I was typing something whilst thing about something else at the time I guess! I do though totally agree with your sentiment.

Would rather have had a villa without outdoor pool but that was all there was when I booked for my three days. Happy to share the room on late March if anyone wants half a free suite!

Moomba Dec 4, 2006 9:10 am

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? (Post 6787043)
I've just booked 12 nights in August in a 2 bedroom Grand Villa, Private Pool, Beachfront, Plasma Tv 42 Inch, Jacuzzi.

Have you read this post in the thread you referenced?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=173

More Champagne Sir? Dec 4, 2006 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Moomba (Post 6790177)
Have you read this post in the thread you referenced?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=173

I have indeed read that thread, but it refers to the 3 night Z3R code. I used the Z5R code which I believe meant no free nights, but 25% off all nights when staying for 5 or more :)

To be completely honest though, I'm not convinced any of us will get to keep our bookings. Guess we'll just have to wait and see! Pretty exciting though... :p

More Champagne Sir? Dec 4, 2006 11:41 am

Just to follow up on my previous post, here are the terms and conditions for the Z5R rate. Looks like I should be ok :) ^^^

ajinlondon Dec 4, 2006 12:32 pm

just so you know - i got it to price 3 mins ago

KRS Dec 4, 2006 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? (Post 6791041)
Just to follow up on my previous post, here are the terms and conditions for the Z5R rate. Looks like I should be ok :) ^^^

That's good news. I have a 7 day reservation using the same code.

However, I'm not too confident this will be honoured.

ba bob Dec 4, 2006 3:34 pm

I have just booked too, 5 nights in March - MCS? if this works, you are a legend!

gallagher Dec 4, 2006 4:06 pm

I've got 9 nights (only in a deluxe room I'm afraid^ ) to conicide with my F flight to BKK on the mistake GF fare mentioned at 3 month's ago on FT - thanks MCS (although I looked at the original post yesterday afternoon just after it was posted - I think I was the first to view it) and stupidly thought it was a non-starter and didn't look back until this evening - just goes to show you can't take your eyes of FT for a minute:rolleyes:

thanks

Meerkat Dec 4, 2006 5:30 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that trying to take advantage of a ridiculously obvious data-entry error is somewhat pathetic? I mean, it's a bit of a giggle I grant you, but no doubt there'll be people up in arms (or in court) when Starwood tries to ask the not unreasonable question: "why would we, an American company, price hotel rates in Thailand in Ugandan Shillings?"

What's happened to us?

GUWonder Dec 4, 2006 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 6790035)
In general, FT history shows that people who book errors for 2-3 days are allowed to keep their bookings, but people who take the p*ss get a full cancellation .......

Is that what happens generally?

Of the most extensive bookings with which I've been familiar (or gotten in on) -- I'm thinking of people who booked months upon months at $0.01 - $20/night -- they had no more or less issue with getting their bookings honored than others where the hotel didn't have months upon months of bookings at dirt-cheap rates. I've yet to discern a pattern but have only gotten in on a handful or two of these "specials". That said, my gut feeling is that LeMeridien deal won't be honored regardless of how many no-shows there are likely to be on these glitch rates. Hopefully, I'll be wrong. :)

GUWonder Dec 4, 2006 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Meerkat (Post 6793030)
Am I the only one who thinks that trying to take advantage of a ridiculously obvious data-entry error is somewhat pathetic? I mean, it's a bit of a giggle I grant you, but no doubt there'll be people up in arms (or in court) when Starwood tries to ask the not unreasonable question: "why would we, an American company, price hotel rates in Thailand in Ugandan Shillings?"

What's happened to us?

I don't think this one is going to go to court anywhere. Even the Starwood-Lanesborough debacle didn't go much that way .... and there was more facility in such pursuit than there'd be with this.

Swiss Tony Dec 4, 2006 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by ajinlondon (Post 6791395)
just so you know - i got it to price 3 mins ago

Still only pricing in USD for me :(

No, managed to find some, even a Villa for a few nights...

What to do, what to do.....

More Champagne Sir? Dec 7, 2006 6:46 am

Funny Update:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=480 :D

Serious Update:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...&postcount=489 :eek:
Seems like a cop-out from Starwood to me. As far as I'm concerned, I have a contract and Starwood are obliged to fulfil their side of the contract. End of.

Raffles Dec 7, 2006 7:12 am

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? (Post 6808103)
Serious Update:
Seems like a cop-out from Starwood to me. As far as I'm concerned, I have a contract and Starwood are obliged to fulfil their side of the contract. End of.

$50 per night seems like a good deal to me!

ba bob Dec 7, 2006 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 6808220)
$50 per night seems like a good deal to me!

I totally agree, booked a room for me and one for the folks, and I would still be happy to go at $50 a night, as long as I still get the suite that I booked, not some crappy room overlooking the bins.

MCS? although you are right about the fact that there is a contract, there is something in law about Mans Rea (I think thats how you spell it) - means 'in guilty mind'. It could be argued that we have acted in this way here, as I certainly would not have booked it should it not have been for the rate that we got.

More Champagne Sir? Dec 7, 2006 7:37 am

Originally Posted by ba bob (Post 6808251)
MCS? although you are right about the fact that there is a contract, there is something in law about Mans Rea (I think thats how you spell it) - means 'in guilty mind'. It could be argued that we have acted in this way here, as I certainly would not have booked it should it not have been for the rate that we got.

MCS? stamps foot. :mad:

I know you guys are right and $50 does sound fair, but, well, it's not fair!! How come when we book a non-changeable fare on spg.com and then need to change it, they don't want to know? :rolleyes:

Oh, and regarding Mans Rea, does that mean I'm committing an offence everytime I buy two packs of pringles when they're on BOGOF? I wouldn't have bought the pringles if they weren't on that deal... ;)

J-Class Dec 7, 2006 7:45 am

What's happened to us?

Meerkat, I couldn't agree with you more.

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 7:50 am

"why would we, an American company, price hotel rates in Thailand in Ugandan Shillings?"

Well, it's not too different than asking "why do European companies price hotel rates in Thailand in US dollars?" Yet it happens. :D Just that UGX isn't a standard currency for pricing in markets beyond it's home market or perhaps neighboring ones.

This was seemingly a case of UGX being next to USD in the currency listing selection. Human error, that is. Too bad that doesn't as systematically apply to those customers who try to cancel mistake bookings made through an American company for EUR-denominated hotel rates in Africa. :eek:

schofs Dec 7, 2006 8:34 am

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir? (Post 6808103)
Serious Update:

This looks to me like a sincere effort - not a cop out. 25 quid a night is ridiculously cheap, and if I saw this rate, I'd still think it was a fare error!

Given that SPG could have (unwisely) turned around and cancelled your reservation because it was clearly a pricing error, what they've offered is in my mind as good as if they'd honoured the error rate.

jhm Dec 7, 2006 8:34 am

$50 a night for the Royal Suite (as some have booked) sounds like a great offer to me!

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jhm (Post 6808617)
$50 a night for the Royal Suite (as some have booked) sounds like a great offer to me!

Has Starwood or the hotel itself yet said that the $50/night rate is for the suites and villas? No. And $50/night for the regular rooms isn't much of a great offer.

jhm Dec 7, 2006 8:48 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 6808638)
Has Starwood or the hotel itself yet said that the $50/night rate is for the suites and villas? No.

I was going by SPG's e-mail to Jim Liu which seems to imply this:

We are prepared to offer you a rate of $50 USD per night for your reservation beginning
Friday 8 December, limited to your current reservation.

Arandora Dec 7, 2006 8:59 am

And $50/night for the regular rooms isn't much of a great offer.
$50 a night for a fabulous 5* resort on a fantastic tropical beach isn't much of a great offer!!! C'mon!!!! ....... and people expecting to get the Royal Villa (and there's only 1 of them!) for that and then complaining they might only get an "ordinary" room. There are only two 5* resorts in Khao Lak (remember the area in Thailand that suffered most in terms of death and destruction by the Tsunami?). The other is more expensive and you won't get a 3* for $50 in High Season!
If SPG honour their mistake by giving Deluxe rooms at $50 a night when the rate is usually $150, you should snap their hands off. To expect more is a tad unrealistic, don't you think?:confused:

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Arandora (Post 6808744)
$50 a night for a fabulous 5* resort on a fantastic tropical beach isn't much of a great offer!!! C'mon!!!! ....... and people expecting to get the Royal Villa (and there's only 1 of them!) for that and then complaining they might only get an "ordinary" room. There are only two 5* resorts in Khao Lak (remember the area in Thailand that suffered most in terms of death and destruction by the Tsunami?). The other is more expensive and you won't get a 3* for $50 in High Season!
If SPG honour their mistake by giving Deluxe rooms at $50 a night when the rate is usually $150, you should snap their hands off. To expect more is a tad unrealistic, don't you think?:confused:

Who said the Royal Villa will be given for $50/night? There's been no such mention by Starwood or the hotel that such will be the case even for those accepting a $50/night rate at the property. That is, there's been no mention that the accomodation booked will be the accomodation given at that amount. Getting an offer for $150 for 3 nights in a typical room is not such a great deal when 3 nights being provided for $200 in compensation is available.

Even before the tsunami, the hotel was getting paid c. $50 for a good number of regular rooms at the property at various times of the year. It may even still be the case for a number of rooms.

[And yes I remember the tsunami. After all, Sweden lost quite the number of people and it was all the news here with friends looking for family and friends and then having to plan their funerals.]

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 9:34 am

Originally Posted by jhm (Post 6808690)
I was going by SPG's e-mail to Jim Liu which seems to imply this:

We are prepared to offer you a rate of $50 USD per night for your reservation beginning Friday 8 December, limited to your current reservation.

At this point in time, it's hard to know exactly what to make of that. It could just as well indicate that this $50/night offer, for some accomodation at the property (i.e., not necessarily the accomodation originally booked), is NOT a general offer to all people holding these UGX reservations at the property.

There's nothing yet to indicate that the Royal Villa at $50/night is the actual offer.

jhm Dec 7, 2006 10:29 am

I agree that nothing is certain yet and people who're thinking of accepting (or rejecting) the offer should clarify what it is.

However, the use of "your reservation" seems - to me at least - to indicate that it may refer to the room/suite booked. To take an example of the following circumstances:

(i) a hotel advertises a mistake rate of £50/night;
(ii) I book 5 nights in the royal suite; and
(iii) I receive written confirmation of "your reservation",

I think the hotel would find it hard to later turn round to say that "your reservation" actually referred to 5 nights in the broom cupboard but not the royal suite!

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 10:42 am

Originally Posted by jhm (Post 6809242)
I agree that nothing is certain yet and people who're thinking of accepting (or rejecting) the offer should clarify what it is.

The people making the offer (i.e., Starwood and the hotel) should clarify what the offer really is ... without being prompted by those who hold the UGX reservations. :) There's no customer-friendly reason for Starwood and the hotel to make a messed up situation even more messed up than it already is.

Originally Posted by jhm
However, the use of "your reservation" seems - to me at least - to indicate that it may refer to the room/suite booked. To take an example of the following circumstances:

(i) a hotel advertises a mistake rate of £50/night;
(ii) I book 5 nights in the royal suite; and
(iii) I receive written confirmation of "your reservation",

I think the hotel would find it hard to later turn round to say that "your reservation" actually referred to 5 nights in the broom cupboard but not the royal suite!

With another "human error" rate sale, Starwood & Lanesborough hotel didn't handle things in the kind of way implied above. They adjusted the room types on at least some of the guests. And "clarification" was generally not forthcoming, even upon inquiry for clarification. [That's not surprising given the GM's lack of meaningful response when at least one guest had repeated bathtub flooding/clogging on two or three out of three nights there.]

It's not even clear how many people holding these reservations are going to be given the $50 rate.

GUWonder Dec 7, 2006 6:58 pm

It is now clear that for most all it will be only one reservation being honored for $50/night for no more than 3-5 nights; and there is no guarantee that the originally booked accomodation (e.g., villa, suite) will be provided.

It will be very telling if the hotel starts re-selling those villas & suites for even those reservations maintained under the new "offer". :eek:

More Champagne Sir? Dec 12, 2006 5:24 pm

Update

Just for those interested, received this email a couple of days ago from Starwood:

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank all who have responded to our original email regarding your reservation(s) at the Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach and Spa Resort (below). Once again, please accept our apology for the error. We truly hope you will consider the offer we outlined in our previous email (below) dated December 7, 2006.

We understand there are questions regarding the terms and conditions of the offer and we would like to take this opportunity to answer them for you. We would like to apologize in advance to our guests who have either already stayed at the resort or responded with their selected reservations but we felt it was necessary to send this second email. We appreciate your understanding.

Most important, and already stated in the original email, the team at the hotel will do their very best to honor the room type booked, based on availability. Also, for customers holding more than one confirmed reservation, we will honor one of your reservations, which you can select, at the stated USD $50 per night rate.

Following are your questions with the answers, which we hope will help you make the decision to keep your reservation and visit this very beautiful resort:

Q: Will I get the room type I confirmed?
A: The team at the hotel will try their very best to honor your room type

Q: If I accept the offer and confirm a reservation with the USD $50 rate, will my credit card be charged at the time of booking?
A: NO, your credit card will be used only to guarantee the reservation

Q: Is breakfast included in the rate?
A: YES

Q: Are taxes included in the rate?
A: YES (We will reimburse anyone who has already stayed at the resort and may have been charged taxes)

Q: Will I get my free night based on the promotion?
A: YES

Q: If I accept then decide to cancel in the future, will there be a penalty?
: NO

Q: Is there a cancellation deadline for reservations with the new rate?
A: NO (we ask that you advise hotel as soon as possible)

Q: If I cancel now, will I be charged a penalty?
A: NO

Following from that, I've also received this email from the hotel directly:

Dear Mr. MCS?,

I am pleased to confirm your reservation from the *** to *** in our Presidential Villa for $50 USD per room per night, and we have cancelled your other booking.

The hotel reservation number is ****.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel.

Warm regards...
So whilst at first I was a little baby and threatened to throw my toys out the pram, after consideration I now have the presidential villa guaranteed for $50 a night including tax and breakfast, so an EXCELLENT result in the end :D

Now I've just got to work out how best to use my bmi miles to get there! Keen to try the LH FRA First Class Terminal... :D

VC10 Boy Dec 13, 2006 3:29 am

MCS? I applaud your wisdom. Yes Starwood screwed up, but what I interpret in what they have done is, they are giving you the villa at a price that at least covers their costs. I can't see them making a profit out of this. As someone paying 40 times your new rate for the Selandria Suite in Bangkok over Christmas I am just a little bit jealous.

You may want to save a few miles and fly with SAS. Their new flat beds are a dream, forward looking cameras on takeoff so you see your progress down the runway, for the meal service the crew wear chefs hats, deserts are served from the trolley onto the plate before you, full AVOD, oh and you put your water bottle in a fridge built into the seat to keep it chilled for you. Just press a button when you want it and its automatically removed into hands reach. LHR to CPH isn't good though.