FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Why do you stay with BA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/620571-why-do-you-stay-ba.html)

terpfan101 Nov 4, 2006 11:36 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Unfortunately, you do not recall correctly, kered, I just looked it up again. There are a handful of carriers I personally feel carry a significantly higher risk than others. I try to avoid them.

yeah sure I'd say any British carrier or American carrier have a higher risk than others. Just like both countries are at a greater risk, though now I believe the US is at less risk than the UK.

I personally, while am slightly anxious about the risks, try to not think about it and just live my life.

Rambuster Nov 4, 2006 11:48 am

+++ MFU'ing from WT+ to J at "half price" (25k US / 40k Asia) !

krug Nov 4, 2006 11:49 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101
yeah sure I'd say any British carrier or American carrier have a higher risk than others. Just like both countries are at a greater risk, though now I believe the US is at less risk than the UK.

I personally, while am slightly anxious about the risks, try to not think about it and just live my life.

Extraordinary perception. Do you regularly watch Faux News?

terpfan101 Nov 4, 2006 12:00 pm

No Krug I don't. But the fact is that the UK being part of the EU makes it a lot easier to get into your country than it is to get into ours. Anybody whos a citizen of any EU country has a much easier time to get into the UK.

In addition, your Muslim population is EXTREMELY different than ours. Granted many Muslims in our country are also skeptical of Israel but nowhere near the extent that they are in other countries. In addition large amounts of the population here consider themselves Americans. So homegrown terror is less likely here. Just look at the 7/7 bombings as well as the plot recently foiled. Lots of them were British Muslims.

I took a class on terrorism last semester that was so interesting. I'll be happy to provide you links to videos, articles, etc if you want.

BA or bust Nov 4, 2006 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by dombar
... God save the queen, and tits and pucci and their mates.

Amen to that! ^

GUWonder Nov 4, 2006 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by dombar
God save the queen, and tits and pucci and their mates.

Is this an example of "adult sexual content"? ;)

timthorn Nov 4, 2006 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Fair enough, but IMO beside the point. As a customer, I certainly know and accept that I have a C-ticket with somehow limited flexibility. But there obviously is a huge difference between asking for, e.g., a date change or just asking for an earlier connecting flight.

Not sure there is. The majority of times that I purchase fully-flex are when I don't know when my meeting will finish, but I want to get the first flight I can home. If there was open season on changing flights, why would I bother buying flex? That kind of change is something I'd hope for and be very happy to get, rather than something I'd expect as basic customer service.

The _Banking_Scot Nov 4, 2006 3:03 pm

Hi,

Reasons why I choose BA ;

(1) Frequent flights from EDI to LHR/LCY ( bmi only goes every 2 hours)
(2) Able to connect baggage on two separate tickets ( esp to a MFU from LHR/LGW) as often a MFU from EDI is coming up with a connection from LHR to LCY on the return :(
(3) Good lounges ( compared to a lot of airlines)
(4) Professional crew
(5) Wide range of destinations ( VS being much smaller)
(6) Good club world product ( but could be better and looking forward to the NGCW to be announced soon)
(7) Good upgarde prices ( only 25k miles to MFU from WT+ to CW)

This is not to say things could not be improved

(1) Connecting at LHR- becoming a pain and even with 2-3 hours my bags are delayed incoming at LHR to EDI about twice a year
(2) CW seat tight for me ( average person ) but NGCW should solve this
(3) Food on CW could be better
(4) Lounges esp at LHR could be a lot better ( take a look at the VS Clubhouses)- I do not expect much change before T5
(5) IFE could be better- AVOD should help.
(6) Small tokens of appreciation for Gold Card holders would be useful.

Regards
TBS

nixande Nov 5, 2006 8:44 am

I chose Ba in the beginning because I could not see myself flying 50K a year for AA Plat. This I would have gotten on the first trip to the states with the challenge, but could not see that I could keep it.

Second BA has WT+ and I feel comfortable with it. Now, after my first year with BA and 10 months of FT I am looking deeper into doing enough flights to retain silver (already have 190, 110 to go) but go over to AA as I now have noticed that the 777 give you 18" seat pitch which I hope is enough to be comfortable).

Also AA has flights with special offers from Germany to the states. If I pick the right flight connections I do get the 777.

In looking at my travel pattern for next year I do see that AA makes a bigger effort to get me as a German customer (not much, but a lot), for the price of one WT to SFO I can travel two times in high time, the ban of lounge access does not affect me due to travel internationally, and the benefits in the US market could come in handy.

Which is your answer why I stay with BA - I will probably not or more for the pure benefit of making Silver on Ba somewhere on the road to see if that is of any value for me.

At the moment I am looking at flying BA for some mileage runs in Europe - AA is miles based with a 500 miles minimum which could work in Europe better than in the states. And while it does give you nothing being low fare in BA, it does give you enough miles in AA.

It may look different after next year, but 2007 will be mostly AA.

GUWonder Nov 5, 2006 12:22 pm

The promotions get me too, especially the ones that give 50k miles.

Traveloguy Nov 5, 2006 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by nixande
but go over to AA as I now have noticed that the 777 give you 18" seat pitch which I hope is enough to be comfortable).

:eek:

Somehow I doubt 18". Most carriers offer 29-35" in normal Y and 38" in PE.

Pitch is the measure from the back of your seat to the back of the next. I suspect 18" is the width of the seat which is actually quite generous. Some carriers offer less, although I suspect that 18" would need to be the minimum in the USA as many pax would not fit.

nixande Nov 5, 2006 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
:eek:

Somehow I doubt 18". Most carriers offer 29-35" in normal Y and 38" in PE.

Ahem yes.

As excuse:
http://www.seatguru.com/charts/intl_economy.php

has a nice overview which you can sort by width / pitch etc and it will show that AA flies their 777 with an 18 WIDTH. :)

dombar Nov 5, 2006 1:22 pm

well if you want to be all political about it and suggest that british airways is targeted by terrorists over other airlines you really ought to know what you are talking about before making such bold assertions.
The 'airliner' alleged plot targeted US carriers flying to destinations in the US.
The motovation for the terrorists seems to come from a belief that the axis of evil in fact lies between Washington and Tel Aviv.
Me personally? I won't set foot on a US registered aircraft if a European carrier will get me to where I want to go to.
Just my take on it all.

terpfan101 Nov 5, 2006 2:36 pm

"A U.S. administration official said the plot targeted Continental, United, British Airways and American Airlines flights to New York, Washington and California." http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/10/us.security/index.html

"The Deputy Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, Paul Stephenson, said that the plot aimed to destroy as many as ten aircraft in mid-flight from the United Kingdom to the United States, using explosives brought on board in the suspects' carry-on luggage. News media reported that planned targets included American Airlines, British Airways, Continental Airlines, and United Airlines flights from Heathrow and Gatwick airports to Chicago; Los Angeles, California; Miami, Florida; Newark, New Jersey; New York City; San Francisco, California; and Washington, D.C."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_tr...rgeted_flights
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6065460.stm

I'm certainly not going to stop flying any specific carrier and have a BA flight booked in the next few months. No point worrying and living life being afraid.

Smirnoff Nov 5, 2006 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by BAg Lady
no other airline can make me feel at home as soon as I step on board.

This is spot on. This is exactly the reason I will rarely fly another airline.

Originally Posted by BAg Lady
Above all, I feel safe on BA.

Originally Posted by terpfan101
News media reported that planned targets included American Airlines, British Airways, Continental Airlines, and United Airlines flights from Heathrow and Gatwick airports to Chicago; Los Angeles, California; Miami, Florida; Newark, New Jersey; New York City; San Francisco, California; and Washington, D.C.

And having been on a BA flight to SFO on August 10th, I never felt safer, and always feel safe on a BA plane.