Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chasing the mythical operational upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2003, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
My friends Dad racks up around 4500-5000 Exec Club points a year going by my maths on his travelling.
</font>
If that was a reason to get constant upgrades then about half of us here would get them...

Old Feb 18, 2003, 9:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
If that was a reason to get constant upgrades then about half of us here would get them...

</font>
We wish
A Family of 4 from Y-F????
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CTEASDEL:
We wish
</font>
My thoughts exactly
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
CTEASDEL - Quite! The reason that I find these topics unpleasant is not the topic itself, but the unpleasantness that they generate. Unlike AA, UA, and the like BA has decided that only those pay for it will have it confirmed. The rest, as you say, can come down to expediency for an on-time departure.

Suffice to say we crew have our opinions as well. We know everybody who has been upgraded, and quite honestly the reasons are of no interest to us at all. I have no idea who these people are to British Airways, and have long ceased to care. How do I know whether some scruffy old bat is not the mother of some CEO or decision maker that BA are trying to woo? I don't know and none of you do either.

My own view is this. If the flight is overbooked you look for every BA elite card and book them and one other with them to every class but First. If you are more numerous and do not want to separate- sorry move on to someone else (please remember that whoever is sitting in the premium cabins will not be allowed visits from the back). To me the highest fare gets the highest chance, they have spent the money. It all a big lottery and the sooner that eveyone realises that there really is no hard and fast rule - it is to some extent how you come over at check in.

What I think that some of this ignores is the service level that we try to produce for those in the cabin who have actually paid for it. How would you feel if you had paid F and found the cabin full of pax (WT to F happens very very rarely) who had not paid for it? Yes exactly and so would I.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:40 am

Pucci, I would love to agree with you, if your personal policy would be followed by BA on every case. But they don't!

We read here about first time flyers with a cheap WT ticket getting upgraded and the longtime BA Gold traveller is still sitting in the back. Why it is so? Is it to make everybody clear there are no rules for u*? Or is it a personal thing ("I like this pax, lets op-up him!")?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">(please remember that whoever is sitting in the premium cabins will not be allowed visits from the back)</font>
Even this is not always true. I saw some pax moving to the front and visiting somebody in the premium cabins.

Kind regards,

Hammer
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:51 am

as previously mentioned there are no definitive rules, anything can happen!

regarding leaving the Golds at the back, surely this will encourage them to purchase a better seat next time? If they get upgraded regularly then they are going to purchase cheap tix regularly (like people do on other carriers)

Someone who has no status will no doubt be impressed by an upgrade and fly BA again.

I too have seen some bizzare upgrades, I even managed to get an X class Air Miles seat upgraded from LAX once. That really doesn't happen very often though.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CTEASDEL:

</font>
Not a family of four, two parents and their 17yr old. Both parents were Exec Club Golds and Economy was fully booked both ways if that could further explain anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.