Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Border Force Strike - 11th-14th April

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

LHR Border Force Strike - 11th-14th April

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news and of course it will impact all terminals however with BA being the biggest carrier at LHR and T5/T3 then I thought I would start this thread for info. Fingers crossed something might be resolved before then?

More than 600 Border Force officials at Heathrow Airport will strike for four days in April.

The strike action will take place from 11-14 April, the PCS union announced.

The workers, who carry out immigration controls and passport checks at Heathrow, voted by 90% to walk out over a new roster and imposed changes to shift patterns.

The union said the changes could see 250 staff at the London airport forced to lose their jobs by the end of next month.

https://news.sky.com/story/hundreds-...april-13103452
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Last time the army was called in, it all seemed to be much more efficient. I wonder if this will be the case again
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Everything was super efficient last time this bunch went on strike.

I'm sure a few squaddies will step up again and show just how easy the job can be.
muzz09, SxMan and DXB2745 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Efficiency for you, the traveller, is not actually the right KPI here. And generally speaking one does not maintain a standing army just in case one needs some odd jobs done.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Last time they were on strike I got through quicker
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:01 pm

Sack the useless lot of them, it was so much quicker last time they were on strike. And don't we just let anyone in the country anyway?
SxMan and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
It was a quicker and friendlier experience for me the last time they went on strike, and the army chap also finally gave me a direct answer to confirm why I can't use the egates and apologised about it!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad news and of course it will impact all terminals however with BA being the biggest carrier at LHR and T5/T3 then I thought I would start this thread for info. Fingers crossed something might be resolved before then?

More than 600 Border Force officials at Heathrow Airport will strike for four days in April.

The strike action will take place from 11-14 April, the PCS union announced.

The workers, who carry out immigration controls and passport checks at Heathrow, voted by 90% to walk out over a new roster and imposed changes to shift patterns.

The union said the changes could see 250 staff at the London airport forced to lose their jobs by the end of next month.

https://news.sky.com/story/hundreds-...april-13103452
599 of them must have been on strike, the last time I went through...
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:19 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by andymartin1968
Sack the useless lot of them, it was so much quicker last time they were on strike. And don't we just let anyone in the country anyway?
To try and respond to this, sacking them all wouldn’t help much (who are you going to hire in their place?). The army are not an endless pool of repeatable manpower. They have to stop training and general duties to cover airports, and at the mo I’d rather they focussed on the main threat to the UK, ie the Russian state. Last point, no we don’t let ‘just anyone’ into the country. I’d have thought that was quite obvious
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by andymartin1968
Of course it was quicker. They filled every desk with either Army or contract BF workers and just basically threw money at it. The Army didn't detain anyone so didn't leave the desks, which meant from a passenger point of view it looked (and was) very smooth.

The military hated doing it btw.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:02 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by etiene
Efficiency for you, the traveller, is not actually the right KPI here. And generally speaking one does not maintain a standing army just in case one needs some odd jobs done.
This is FT so we should not expect folks to focus on wider issues.
The general consensus seems to be that there is little for most travellers to be concerned about which I think is the right level of response for this forum.

Luckily I am not travelling on those dates, so it doesn't bother me anyway and following the best traditions of the internet I can comment in the certain knowledge that personally I will be fine.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by LondonAussie
It was a quicker and friendlier experience for me the last time they went on strike, and the army chap also finally gave me a direct answer to confirm why I can't use the egates and apologised about it!
You do know that BF staff are not allowed to give that information out, which is probably why they don't?
SxMan and Custardthecat like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:14 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Saladman
The military hated doing it btw.
As ex-Military, I’ll be very frank, I absolutely hated covering for striking public sector workers. I did not join the forces to plug gaps in civil service provision.

I particularly found it unpleasant to command men and women who were earning less than half of those we were replacing.

It is a political decision to deploy the forces, and we will always respond when ordered, however the public need to know it is not an endless barrel.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84
As ex-Military, I’ll be very frank, I absolutely hated covering for striking public sector workers. I did not join the forces to plug gaps in civil service provision.

I particularly found it unpleasant to command men and women who were earning less than half of those we were replacing.

It is a political decision to deploy the forces, and we will always respond when ordered, however the public need to know it is not an endless barrel.
I don't blame you. I was in the police and we covered, with the military, the ambulance dispute many years ago and the military were very bitter about it.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Load of bollocks the army are quicker. Not a dig on the army. But I’ve never waited more than a minute (and even that long is rare) in the last year or two. Passport never works at egates so just go straight to the manual desk. Quicker than global entry at Kennedy where you still have a short wait to get waived through by an agent. If your passport actually does work at egates then I don’t see how having the army filling speeds up the process for you.
Custardthecat likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.