FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Urgent Help request: BA58 CPT -> LHR 26 Feb : oversold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2152849-urgent-help-request-ba58-cpt-lhr-26-feb-oversold.html)

corporate-wage-slave Feb 27, 2024 1:48 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip (Post 36033484)

So . . . the OP just said that they were "due to travel" and were issued standby boarding passes. I read this as meaning that they were regular standby passengers, but all of the talk has been about denied boarding. What is it? I found this initial description unclear. What was the original booking?

There's a difference between the USA and the rest of the world on this one - the process is shared but the daily operation is quite different.

Standby in the USA context generally means you're hoping to move to another flight, usually earlier. Or perhaps it's at a hub and related to connecting flights. So you go to check-in and then the gate with a standby boarding pass, who hopefully swap it for a new boarding pass. If it doesn't work there's always your original booking. The OP is not reporting this scenario. Outside the USA, standby of that sort is typically reserved for staff tickets, and on BA if you want to do the equivalent of Same Day Change then the process confirms you immediately, no gate procedure is needed. If you are allowed to do SDC then you get a confirmed seat. Again that's not this scenario. But what has happened here, and those in the USA may call this being bumped, is holding a firm reservation, you may not actually be allowed to change to another flight beforehand, it is typically a ticket with zero flexibility. And yet there are too many people turning up for the flight. The operation at the gate, though, is called standby since they want you get to the gate and you need something to get your through security. At the gate the last stage of passenger reconciliation can take place and no-shows counted.

This is a relatively unusual story for BA - at least in terms of a member of the public being told to return the next day for the rebooked flight, this is usually the story of those on staff travel tickets.

AJA_ Feb 27, 2024 2:41 am

Originally Posted by flarmip (Post 36032764)
Maybe 241 downgrades from CW does happen (it's aways been a bit apocryphal on FT, like the ggl button to eject silvers from ET exit row seats and CE row 1) and I can report it's never happened to us

It's a scenario that tends to arise most commonly for Blue or Bronze cardholders, since they don't get free seat selection and so may hold out on reserving a seat until doing so becomes free at 24 hours or 7 days before departure. Of course that may already be too late...
.[/QUOTE]
I have to say i have thus far not suffered the downgrade problem or worse denied boarding using a 2-4-1 having redeemed at least 18 of them over the years but until now I've had Silver status and chosen my seats at time of booking.

That said I am shortly flying to Singapore on a 2-4-1 in Club as a Bronze status and have yet to choose my seats. My fellow passenger is a lowly Blue. I am holding out until T-7 before trying to reserve seats so we shall see whether this strategy works. Until now I have resisted paying to reserve seats. I hope that I am not unlucky this time around.

I am so sorry OP's friends were offloaded last night but am glad they seem to be flying tonight.

I also echo other comments about not worrying about spending cash to feed themselves at BA's expense. They should definitely pay for food and claim once back in the UK.

Duck1981 Feb 27, 2024 3:36 am

Originally Posted by sixcolours (Post 36032684)
BP finally issued for the 42 tomorrow. With seat numbers. Hopefully a good sign.

Spoke to another friend on the F&B point as they had a delay recently. Their mindset was that they would only take what was offered at the airport (ie voucher). Even after explaining their rights, they still felt that they wouldn’t want the hassle of trying to claim back and go through a tedious process that then may need escalating to MCOL. (We were also talking about hotel bookings on that point).

I can see their point of view, and of course BA will only pro actively offer small refreshment voucher and “get what you’re given” hotel, so you can see why a lot of people would be worried about denied claims for what they’re entitled to (even though I understand in practice these claims are actually usually accepted without any problems).

One can complain about BA re/ many things, but not about how they treat expense claims. It may take a while as they don't have status (say 4-5 weeks) but I never ever had any issue with submitting a claim which is reasonable (and they paid incl. booze for my dinners). So trust this forum and not their friend.

DYKWIA Feb 27, 2024 5:29 am

Why can't people use the [QUOTE] tags properly???!!! :mad:

sixcolours Feb 27, 2024 5:37 am

[QUOTE] Why can't people use the [QUOTE] tags properly???!!! :mad: [QUOTE/]

I guess that is one of life's great mysteries :)

Oxon Flyer Feb 27, 2024 5:46 am

[QUOTE=DYKWIA;36033992]Why can't people use the

tags properly???!!! :mad:
Stuff happens. As per this requote. :)

Anyone so intolerant of technical posting glitches that affect the quote frame can, rather than throw a public DYKWIA tantrum, simply click the triangle and one of the mod team will fix it. :idea:

Stgermainparis Feb 27, 2024 7:47 am

Any updates, OP?

BrunswickSq Feb 27, 2024 8:17 am

Slightly off topic, but understanding that BA won't reimburse wine with dinner (or gin with tonic) do they expect your dinner bill to be wholly teetotal, or can you put in a bill and just claim for the non-alcoholic aspects?

TabTraveller Feb 27, 2024 8:21 am

Originally Posted by BrunswickSq (Post 36034380)
Slightly off topic, but understanding that BA won't reimburse wine with dinner (or gin with tonic) do they expect your dinner bill to be wholly teetotal, or can you put in a bill and just claim for the non-alcoholic aspects?

I’ve submitted a receipt before containing alcoholic drinks but just claimed for the food / soft drinks. No issue with getting paid.

Saladman Feb 27, 2024 8:25 am

I put in for a lunch for two in BCN when our flight was cancelled and we had a bottle of wine. They paid for everything, though it was a modest lunch.

sixcolours Feb 27, 2024 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 36034315)
Any updates, OP?

They allegedly have seats on tonight’s BA42. BPs issued with seat numbers so a good sign.
Keeping my fingers crossed!

ScruttonStreet Feb 27, 2024 9:07 am

Please let us know how they are getting on. We’re all on tenterhooks!

itsmeitisss Feb 27, 2024 11:01 am

Originally Posted by BrunswickSq (Post 36034380)

When staying at a BER hotel I put in the full receipt including meal and beers. As it wasn't fully itemised, BA paid the whole thing.

Saladman Feb 27, 2024 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet (Post 36034516)
Please let us know how they are getting on. We’re all on tenterhooks!

Agreed! We're all invested in this and willing them on - we need closure!!

ratechaser Feb 27, 2024 1:41 pm

I'd just like to be the first to say...
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...35a98e2a3.jpeg