Wiki Posts
Search

Innsbruck? Where’s that?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2023, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Innsbruck? Where’s that?!

Mods - please merge if this is a duplicate theme or in the wrong place. Apologies.

Anyway, yesterday at Gatwick - Club/Silver check in desk:

Hello

I’m flying to Innsbruck.

Do you have your passports? (with a slightly perplexed look)

Sure. Here is the PNR too

Where are you going?

Innsbruck

Where?

Innsbruck

Where?

Innsbruck?

And so this continued to the point of complete farce. Circa 5 times.

Where’s that?

Innsbruck in Austria

Never heard of it.

At which point an embarrassed fellow agent who was serving another customer said “it’s INN”

Cue more awkward stares/glares from LGW premium/gold/silver agent. Perhaps she thought I was with a different airline in the wrong queue?

I was made to feel like a right lemon, anyway.

Admittedly, the first service of the season but not really acceptable in my view that the check in agent had no idea where the hell Innsbruck is. And indeed still probably doesn’t.

Eventually checked in, but made to feel like a complete cretin.

Is it really too much to ask that BA check in agents know the destinations to which they are flying? Or am I asking too much?
Old Dec 9, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I've always wondered the purpose of this question - surely they scan your passport and it brings up all the details including destination on the screen? I assumed it was some sort of security 'test' to make sure you weren't trying it on with someone else's booking. I always mention the country rather than the city though, as I've learned general geography knowledge isn't as strong as it probably should be.
Old Dec 9, 2023, 7:33 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
CX chat agents (our equivalent of the India call centre) struggle with Vienna CX can make it really hard to be a customer
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:03 am

Well at least the airport is an equal opportunities employer I guess. Just wait until a Kittila bound passenger checks in (or at least attempts to) with said agent.
DaveS, becks1, DiamondMile and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Not quite sure why the agent wanted to persist in demonstrating their ignorance.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
When I were a student, I worked in a bureau de change. A woman came and asked what currency she needed. I asked where she was going. "Puerto Rico" she said. I was halfway through innocently selling her US$ until a colleague pointed out that there is a town called Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria, and that she probably wanted pesetas!

I, of course, blame her!

But yeah, not knowing Innsbruck (one of only how many LGW destinations?!?!) is pretty bad.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by stevebintley
I've always wondered the purpose of this question - surely they scan your passport and it brings up all the details including destination on the screen? I assumed it was some sort of security 'test' to make sure you weren't trying it on with someone else's booking. I always mention the country rather than the city though, as I've learned general geography knowledge isn't as strong as it probably should be.
I've wondered this too, it's always seemed a rather pointless question to me. Even more so if you can just say the name of country rather than the city (unless the country only had 1 BA destination).
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:42 am

Many years ago I was going to Cuba and phoned my phone company to ask about roaming charges / would the phone work (we're going back to 2G days here). The lady on the phone said my phone wouldn't work as the only country on her list under "Q" was Qatar... A tricky moment then followed.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Years ago I was chatting to an employee at NCL after my direct flight to CPH had been cancelled and was looking at a long wait followed by an indirect flight via LHR or AMS. I was asked why didn’t I take the train instead?
Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:55 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Rioja
Mods - please merge if this is a duplicate theme or in the wrong place. Apologies.

Anyway, yesterday at Gatwick - Club/Silver check in desk:

Hello

I’m flying to Innsbruck.

Do you have your passports? (with a slightly perplexed look)

Sure. Here is the PNR too

Where are you going?

Innsbruck

Where?

Innsbruck

Where?

Innsbruck?

And so this continued to the point of complete farce. Circa 5 times.

Where’s that?

Innsbruck in Austria

Never heard of it.

At which point an embarrassed fellow agent who was serving another customer said “it’s INN”

Cue more awkward stares/glares from LGW premium/gold/silver agent. Perhaps she thought I was with a different airline in the wrong queue?

I was made to feel like a right lemon, anyway.

Admittedly, the first service of the season but not really acceptable in my view that the check in agent had no idea where the hell Innsbruck is. And indeed still probably doesn’t.

Eventually checked in, but made to feel like a complete cretin.

Is it really too much to ask that BA check in agents know the destinations to which they are flying? Or am I asking too much?
I would hope she was going be the one feeling more embarrassed in the end. It’s times like those you need a pithy response ready to go.
Genius1, JayeJ and Rioja like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
You’re lucky the pilots knew where it is. BA684 and BA686 to INN yesterday both diverted to Munich.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:58 am

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
I would hope she was going be the one feeling more embarrassed in the end. It’s times like those you need a pithy response ready to go.
Like missing four opportunities to suggest a career in the fast food industry.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by DaveS
Like missing four opportunities to suggest a career in the fast food industry.
A big what? We don't sell rain jackets.
layz, DaveS and Calchas like this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 4:02 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
It seems like BA684 had the same problem yesterday. After repeated circles and a go-around at INN due to visibility it diverted to MUC. Apparently it was the most watched flight on FlightRadar yesterday.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
A few years ago, one of the contestants in Miss Universe ended up in the wrong Panama City, and a former colleague of my dad was going to Maputo but ended up in Boston. Things happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.